Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Host suggestions anyone  (Read 41129 times)

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
Host suggestions anyone
« on: May 19, 2007, 10:48:11 am »
What web hosting service do you like?

I desperately need to switch web hosts -  I currently host one small site with vizaweb and they have been a nightmare for about a year.    Suggestions for an affordable, reliable, web hosting company, with prompt phone and/or email support greatly appreciated. 

Bee1

Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Host suggestions anyone
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 10:56:47 am »
I would highly recommend ICDsoft.   I've been with them about 4 years now and they are great.  Phenomenal customer support too.  In fact a while back I wrote about my experience here -> http://robo.hydroville.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22

BTW,  I have no ties other than being a satisfied customer.

I would now recommend Zunibee's hosting.  I have had an account for several months with him and it has been great.  We are currently in the process of moving Beemaster.com over as well.  If your looking for hosting check Zunibee out.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=9567.msg65168#msg65168
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 09:23:49 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 11:48:58 am »
Robo, thanks for this.  I am checking them out.  Good support is what I am missing now..

I have one concern about IDCsoft.  I am currently using pHpList for occasional emails to an email list and this was installed   and updated via the web host ...  it looks like I can install it myself at IDCsoft however I don't know that I want to get into this because I'm already at my technical edge.   eeeks! 

I'm not even sure I need pHpList for my emails.  However, what its allows me to do is create a newsletter template, a subscriber page, and manage multiple subscriber lists ....  and to send email to those lists. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 12:53:15 pm »
ICDsoft has Ezmlm pre installed as a mail list manager.  I took a quick look at phplist and it shouldn't be an issue to install if you really needed it.  I'm quite familiar with ICDs control panel and could give you a hand if needs be.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 02:00:13 am »
I host with http://www.34sp.com. They are great and have resonable prices.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 04:18:43 pm »
I have my own hosting business and have been doing it since 1995. Send me a PM if you are inerested and I'll set you up with a great account at a great discount.

Jay

Actually, I thought I would edit this and ask a question. A lot of you are obviously paying for web hosting for your sites. This post gave me an idea... Would anyone be interested in a deep discount hosting account? I could set up a discount for members of this site. We have all unix servers with cPanel control panel. We host many business accounts, commercial forums, and have very reliable servers. If there is interest I can have a page developed with all features and cost. Feel free to PM me. My thoughts are to give our largest account with all the bells and whistles for $2 per month. This helps me offset the cost...... Spend your extra money on beekeeping supplies.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 10:04:00 pm »
I would highly recommend ICDsoft.   I've been with them about 4 years now and they are great.  Phenomenal customer support too.  In fact a while back I wrote about my experience here -> http://robo.hydroville.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22

Robo, I tried to go to that link and got this in return:  You are using an Invalid IP to access this site!.  What's up with that?  I'm using Comcast as my provider on a cable modem running Firefox (latest).  My IP isn't invalid, it's whatever Comcast gave me  :?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 10:11:43 am »

Robo, I tried to go to that link and got this in return:  You are using an Invalid IP to access this site!.  What's up with that?  I'm using Comcast as my provider on a cable modem running Firefox (latest).  My IP isn't invalid, it's whatever Comcast gave me  :?

Don't know Anne,  works fine for me. Here is what it says.
I normally wouldn't promote a product/service here, but I know how hard it is to find a good hosting provider. I remember when I first decided to set up a website and the sleepless nights I spent contemplating who to get hosting from. OK, so there were no sleepless nights, but it was not an easy decision to make. After using ICDSoft for over 2 years now, I must say I am a totally satisfied customer. Read more about my experience.....

There are a ton of providers out there, many with little caveats that the normal person doesn't understand. GB of transfer/month, MB of storage, FTP, subdomains, MySQL,.....AHHHHHHH! It just plain hurts to think about it.

Let's face it, the most important thing is the cost. We all want the cheapest plan we can get that has everything we need. Well, after much hair pulling, I decided to go with ICDSoft. They seemed to have good references and where among the cheapest with the most to offer.

What really sealed the decision for me, was the reports of quick customer support. What can be more fustrating than having to wait days to get the answer to a question that is preventing you from getting your site up. I just took a quick look at my support history. I have contacted them 9 times and the average response is 4.5 minutes with the longest being 10 minutes. Now that is impressive. I also must say that my contacting them was not because of the server being down, but more for my own understanding of the hosting features (ie. site search, apache settings, etc.). In fact, according to the server status, it has only been down for 12 minutes since 2/13/2003. That's a 99.999% uptime.

So if your interested in setting up a REAL website, not one of those free limited sites with annoying pop-ups, or moving your site to a better hosting provider, I strongly recommend ICDSoft. You won't be disappointed.

With that said though,  I just ordered an account from Jay,  you can't beat the deal he is offering.  And since he owns the company, you have a direct line to the top if support becomes an issue.  Best of all, your giving your money to a fellow beekeep.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 10:13:47 am »
Bee1,

BTW,  I just got an account from Jay and it has phpList.

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 07:59:38 pm »

Robo, I've been checking out IDCSoft and they look good - I even emailed them a question and they were very prompt at getting back to me with a thoughtful answer.  Thanks for the recommendation & offer to help with the installation of phplist --  I still may need it.  I'm gonna check out ZuniBee's services too...

ZuniBee, I PM'ed you so I can get a little more information about your web hosting service.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bee1

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 12:10:30 am »
     What does PM mean? if it means postal mail I would need a complete mailing address.  If it means an e-mail, I would need an e-mail address that works.  "zunibee" and http://www.zunibee.com just sends me to the zunibee website.

I would very much like to contact him about hosting a website. ayyon2157
William H. Michaels

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 12:20:51 am »
PM == private message. (personal message)
You can send members private messages.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:17:35 am »
I set up a page on ZuniBeeFarms.com with details of the account and an order link. This way people dont have to wait for me to respond. Some already have the account and seem happy with it.

http://zunibeefarms.com/blog/?page_id=13

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 09:55:12 pm »
Thanks for posting the specs.  Is there a way for me to install my UNIX apps and run them through the SSH client?  For instance, could I install pine to check my e-mail?

Oh, I use 1and1.com's windows business hosting (yes windows... sigh).  I created a photo program on it using ASP .NET and my family uses it to share pictures.  It also gives you plenty of space for your buck.

Has anyone heard of netfirms?  They offer both Windows and Linux in the same package.  Granted its $15 instead of $10, but the Windows / Linux on the same ser
ver looks inviting since I've written so much code in Windows, yet there's so much cool free stuff on Linux.

I would half way recommend 1and1, they have good tech support, but they don't have the performance that I'd want.  Sometimes my site goes really fast, and sometimes it goes really slow.  I'm not sure if that's normal since that's the only host (paid) that I've used.

But I must say, that UNIX host looks pretty good....  I'll have to think about it.
calebgo.com - My website

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 08:17:25 pm »
Hosting .. hehe tough subject

I host all my website ( around 200 ) on resellerzoom.com

I have one budget hosting package from the days that they had it for $4.95/month

This budget one is quite good for this kind of money! Of course you have WHM panel and everything and you can host quite good amount of websites. Of course you cannot host some high traffic vbulletin forum with 100 sql queries ;) But simple content websites can go there. I have some 50 websites that use sql/php there and all are quite responsive and budget server can handle quite a lot requests per day !

Now totally different thing is Advanced plan. I bought UK advanced plan for 24.95 a month and oh my oh it is fast and can also handle vbulletin forum with ease. I host there all the rest of my websites. Mostly those are content websites using low resource but there are couple of intensive and high traffic forums and websites also.

I certainly recomment zoom hosting, either resellerzoom if you need to host lots of your and clients websites or if you just need simple hosting with cpanel and no WHM then they have nice deals on hostingzoom.com also

There are couple of good hostings out there that people like ... asmallorange.com etc etc ....
The best bet would be to read some reviews on webhostingtalk.com

Oh I forgot ... with advanced plans you get free live support 24/7 on resellerzoom while on budget plans you only get email support but they answer emails within couple of hours but usually quicker ( within one hour ) They also have forum on their own and if there is something wrong with servers people just start posting angry posts and the problem is solved quickly :D

Offline Gabriel

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 01:41:03 pm »
Godaddy.com

The site is user friendly, $45 gets you a domain, and hosting for a year. All you do, is upload the files.

Tech support is usually pretty fast.

Offline jcullen24

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 11:13:39 am »
// www pandela com

I've been very happy with thier service, they have everything, the ability to setup E-MAIL FTP accounts, MYSQL, You can use the Web based file upload tool or a 3rd party FTP client.

I like the admin interface, the SQL function, basically everything about administering the account.  

Oh hey, long time lurker here. I've love the site, very informative!  
Hello from Denton Texas,
Jim Cullen

Offline Melilem

• House Bee
    • New England Bee Photos
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 03:09:24 pm »
Gabriel, I also have a couple sites hosted on godaddy, and I am very happy with them. Customer service is awesome for (one of?) the largest domain hosting sites. $45 though? I think I pay $10 a year for each .com site (it says it's $7 for a transfer). I use the free economy domain package that came with the domain name- I have an ad banner over my webpage, but I am very cheap.

Offline IndianaHoney

• New Bee
    • Indiana Honey Farm
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 05:50:56 pm »
Anything but Startlogic. That is my hosting company. I'm currently looking for a new one.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 07:36:10 pm »
www.hostica.com,  I use them, no issues great support. phone or email
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.