Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lesgold?s Road Trip  (Read 15325 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Lesgold?s Road Trip
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2023, 03:57:40 am »
On the way to Kalbarri, we stopped to look at Hutt Lagoon Pink Lake. The unusual colour is due to algae in the water. It doesn?t seem right looking at this type of natural occurrence. Later today we will go for a drive and walk to some of the cliff tops in the area. Will post a couple of photos tomorrow.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 10:41:53 am »
On the way to Kalbarri, we stopped to look at Hutt Lagoon Pink Lake. The unusual colour is due to algae in the water. It doesn?t seem right looking at this type of natural occurrence. Later today we will go for a drive and walk to some of the cliff tops in the area. Will post a couple of photos tomorrow.
Crazy!  It looks like a lake on some alien planet!  :shocked:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2023, 08:32:28 pm »
We saw some really interesting coastline just south of Kalbarri yesterday afternoon. As always, my photography skills don?t reflect the colour and beauty of this area. This section of the coastline was used for navigational reference by Dutch sailers well before James Cook visited the country.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2023, 08:34:17 pm »
And here is some more

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2023, 10:09:44 pm »
Yesterday was spent walking and viewing the gorges on the Murchison River. Very pretty scenery.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2023, 10:10:57 pm »
Natures window was particularly interesting.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2023, 01:07:15 am »
Les your pictures are amazing. I would again like to say thanks for taking the time to share your adventure; Both in picture and commentary..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2023, 11:54:32 am »
Natures window was particularly interesting.
Beautiful!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2023, 08:28:46 pm »
Thanks guys. We stayed at a free camp last night and will be hitting the road again today. Only 200km today to get to our next location.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 01:54:17 am »
We are currently spending a couple of days in a caravan park in a small coastal town called Denham. Here is a shot from the back of the van. The scenery here is quite spectacular. We went and had a look at the dolphin feeding this morning. My wife took a few photos. Will post a couple of those when I can.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 02:15:32 am »
We went for a drive to Monkey Mia Conservation Park to have a look at the dolphin feeding. It is a daily occurrence and the dolphins come in very close to onlookers standing on the beach.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 08:58:21 pm »
We went for a drive to Monkey Mia Conservation Park to have a look at the dolphin feeding. It is a daily occurrence and the dolphins come in very close to onlookers standing on the beach.
That is so fun!  So these are wild dolphins that the park feeds regularly?  Or is this like a managed pod that lives inside the park?   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2023, 09:35:03 pm »
really enjoying your trip.  Had always intended to get back and Geoff had been after us to come over before COVID.  keep up the pictures.  I'll have to get my passport out and see if it needs to be renewed!   :grin:

Some of those pictures look a bit like Utah. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2023, 06:50:24 am »
Thanks Kathy and Reagan. There are many beautiful places around the world and quite often those special places are often right in your own back yard. Reagan, I believe that the feeding started back in the 60?s by a fisherman and his wife who started to share some of their catch with the dolphins. It is now a highly regulated experience that generally occurs 3 times every day. The dolphins are wild and therefore the whole experience is monitored and regulated by park rangers. We travelled a further 400km to get to our next d destination today. We are now camped at a beach at the southern end of Ningaloo reef. Had my first swim and a snorkel at the camp site. Temps got up to 27 degrees today. The overnight minimum will be about 16 degrees C. Not bad when you consider that winter starts in a couple of days. Water temp was a pleasant 25 degrees. Might see if there is a reasonable sunset to follow. We will camp up here for about 4 days.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2023, 11:03:02 am »
Thanks Kathy and Reagan. There are many beautiful places around the world and quite often those special places are often right in your own back yard. Reagan, I believe that the feeding started back in the 60?s by a fisherman and his wife who started to share some of their catch with the dolphins. It is now a highly regulated experience that generally occurs 3 times every day. The dolphins are wild and therefore the whole experience is monitored and regulated by park rangers.
That's super cool!  I bet it was awesome to see them so close. 

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2023, 09:20:41 pm »
Took a couple of shots of the rocks at the end of the beach. The Quobba blowhole was working but only producing a small blast of water. The Indian Ocean swell was quite strong and hit the coastline with considerable force.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2023, 10:23:42 pm »
Here?s a little spot at our campsite called the aquarium. This is where we snorkel on coral reef. It is a quiet, protected spot that is calm even during windy conditions.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2023, 11:05:16 pm »
Here?s a little spot at our campsite called the aquarium. This is where we snorkel on coral reef. It is a quiet, protected spot that is calm even during windy conditions.
Did you see anything good underwater?

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2023, 02:08:21 am »
Hi Reagan,

I saw plenty of coral and beautiful fish. The colours were outstanding. I wish I packed my GoPro to show some pics. The reef will improve as we travel north.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2023, 08:06:26 am »
Hi Folks,

We?ve been camped up on a remote beach for the last few days with no phone connection. Took us about half an hour driving down a rough track to get to the location. It was a lovely spot to camp next to the beach. Was lucky enough to see a large shark swimming close to shore on dusk and also a few turtles. We are now in Exmouth on the top of North West Cape. Quite a tourist based town with plenty to do and see. Will post a few pics when we can.