Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How does rain effect a flow (aside from the obvious)?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Occam

• House Bee
How does rain effect a flow (aside from the obvious)?
« on: May 13, 2023, 10:06:20 am »
Obviously rainfall effects a flow, too little rain, nectar stops flowing for many plants, dearth sets in. At least to my understanding. Does too much rain also negatively have an effect? I was talking with another local beek that's fairly new and he was told that nectar doesn't flow well immediately after a rain, it takes a couple days. Seemed strange to me but what do I know? Does anyone have any insight to the accuracy of such a claim? I guess it could vary from plant species to plant species as well
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: How does rain effect a flow (aside from the obvious)?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 11:54:32 am »
Obviously rainfall effects a flow, too little rain, nectar stops flowing for many plants, dearth sets in. At least to my understanding. Does too much rain also negatively have an effect? I was talking with another local beek that's fairly new and he was told that nectar doesn't flow well immediately after a rain, it takes a couple days. Seemed strange to me but what do I know? Does anyone have any insight to the accuracy of such a claim? I guess it could vary from plant species to plant species as well
I would think this would vary wildly plant to plant, as far as how long it takes for the plant to produce nectar after a rain if it has previously been dry.  Rain can wash nectar out of some flowers, and it could take flowers a day or several to recover from that, again species and other conditions dependent.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 12:12:44 pm »
That's kinda what I was thinking, it would be more species and location dependent. Some plants put out nectar for several weeks or even months while others maybe only a couple weeks. I would think that for some plants that produce their nectar faster than others a rain may not have as big an impact on that particular species while for others, being slower producers, it may have a more adverse impact on nectar.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 01:25:53 pm »
The problem with rain is mainly washing out the nectar. Most of the flowers that are used to make honey here are tiny and in all directions. On a misty, lite or heavy rain it is washed out. If it only rained at night, it probably would not bee a problem at all.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 02:30:31 pm »
If it only rained at night, it probably would not bee a problem at all.
Except for moths.  :wink:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 07:51:28 am »
As Jim said, rain can wash out the nectar, but it also prevents foraging because the bees don't like to fly in the rain.  Obviously if we could control the weather we would try to find a balance where it rains enough to keep things blooming and has sunny days enough to gather the harvest.  But since we can't...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 08:34:57 pm »
We have a tree that flowers every autumn. As many of the flowers face upwards, water collects in them, and the mixture of nectar and water ferments. We then end up with bees having health issues as a result. Hive numbers can drop as a result. Bees with a hangover. Now that would be a sight to see.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 10:27:22 pm »
We have a tree that flowers every autumn. As many of the flowers face upwards, water collects in them, and the mixture of nectar and water ferments. We then end up with bees having health issues as a result. Hive numbers can drop as a result. Bees with a hangover. Now that would be a sight to see.

I'm guessing bees aren't funny drunks haha

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 08:54:48 pm »
Quote from: Occam link=topic=56478.msg517271#msg517271 :cheesy: date=1684546042

I'm guessing bees aren't funny drunks haha

:shocked:   :cheesy:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 10:22:21 pm »
So, this is probably my worst year ever per production hive. And it all boils down to weather vrs management in my opinion. Flow here started 2 weeks early due to the low temperature, Im assuming. I was running about 1.5 to 2 weeks behind schedule. We had cool mornings and rain in the afternoons. Because I was running behind and the spring flow started early brood boxes got back-filled. Even though they had 2 supers they were full of nectar. Thank goodness for the rain or they would have been swarming. The rain kept them in the boxes. Well go back to another post, Excuses why you dont make honey, varroa. Anyway rain keeps them in the hive but also washes out the nectar. So interestingly enough I have tons of bees and low honey production this year.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 12:36:34 am »
Thanks for the update 'and' the useful/helpful information Bill..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 01:46:16 pm »
Well heres an update.I have a yard out in live oak fl. in the middle of a friends pine tree farm, that normally dosnt produce anything during the spring flow mostly a place to build bees, draw comb, and overwinter. But the weather this year did something for the blackberrys they were everywhere,still. Still some in bloom. And the honey is wonderful. As my son just said this morning- Fruity, light and sweet. Only had 2 supers on 6 of 25 hives but they were packed and capped, just goes to show what might be bad for some things is good for others.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 01:50:13 pm »
Well heres an update.I have a yard out in live oak fl. in the middle of a friends pine tree farm, that normally dosnt produce anything during the spring flow mostly a place to build bees, draw comb, and overwinter. But the weather this year did something for the blackberrys they were everywhere,still. Still some in bloom. And the honey is wonderful. As my son just said this morning- Fruity, light and sweet. Only had 2 supers on 6 of 25 hives but they were packed and capped, just goes to show what might be bad for some things is good for others.
Blackberry honey is phenomenal!  We get a major blackberry/black raspberry flow every year.  It's so floral and fruity like you said, I think it tastes like a florist shop.  Be prepared, it will crystallize in a couple of months, but I like it just as well when it does.  :grin:

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2023, 02:43:14 pm »
Im extracting it today separate from anything else. it has to be to use your term phenomenal! Ive tasted a lot of honey from around here and this has to be the best. Actually Im mad at myself for not getting out there to see those bees in sooo long.