BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Caught a swarm in a large swarm trap.

(1/3) > >>

BeeMaster2:
Three days ago, while still feeding my bees, I set up a large swarm trap in the barn. It was just a few feet away from the feed. I put one full deep box with old drawn foundation and  below that I put 1 medium and one deep empty boxes. The bees started checking it out within hours. Yesterday we stopped feeding because I was no longer just feeding my bees, bees started coming from the opposite direction from mine. Today I went out to the barn and there were lots of bees coming and going from the trap. O opened the screen top and it is full of bees. I wanted to move the top deep to a new base because but suspected there may bee bees hang down below the top box. Initially I just lifted the top box with my hive tool. I could see there was bees under it. Then on a bunch I of set the empty box below it and looked under it. There is a large cluster, the size of a football, below the top box frames. I just put a strap around the whole hive and plan on. Moving it tomorrow. By then I will probably have lots of cross cut comb in there and will have to do a cutout.
Jim Altmiller

BeeMaster2:
Here is a picture of the new hive.

Occam:
Good catch even if you do have to do some cut out work

Acebird:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on March 27, 2023, 01:08:41 am ---Here is a picture of the new hive.

--- End quote ---
You couldn't just take off the top two boxes and put the frames in the bottom deep?  Then move a day later.

Bill Murray:
Thats a good one Jim. I also had one show up last week. Last sat. I waxed plastic foundations and had them in boxes stacked to move. When I went to move them there was a hole chewed in between the 2 bottom ones and had about 4 frames of bees in them. Needless to say I kept those ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version