Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame storage  (Read 1045 times)

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
Frame storage
« on: April 14, 2023, 03:13:21 pm »
Hello everyone

I know this is a topic that has been covered before but after reading previous posts and all the information online, I am still confused. So if someone can help me sort this out I would really appreciate it.

First off, my 2 hives died in the winter. Not sure exactly what went wrong but I know I was a distracted beekeeper last year and could have taken care of them a bit better. They didn't die of starvation: both hives had 2 deeps and 1 medium, and in each the medium was fully capped and untouched. The frames in the deep where in various states, some were empty some had pollen and capped honey, etc. I was supposed to get my new bees tomorrow, but the delivery date has been pushed to early May due to problems with queen rearing down south because of rainy weather (at least with my provider). Which brings me to the issue of storing the frames until the bees arrive. I already have lots of frames in the freezer (the ones that were harvested last summer) and I don't have enough space to freeze the ones from the hive. All in all I have:
a) frames of honey fully capped
b) frames with uncapped nectar, pollen, etc
c) empty frames (very very few)

I am thinking of taking the ones from the freezer out and put them in the barn stacking the boxes in criss-cross way to let light and air. Freeze the frames from the hives. When the bees come give them the best frames, freeze as much as I can, and leave the other ones in the barn in criss-cross stack while I keep giving them to the bees as I expand their chambers. 

So here are my question: Is it OK to leave frames which are capped or have open nectar in the barn? Wouldn't that attract robbers?

thanks for the help!
R

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Frame storage
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 04:51:50 pm »
In my experience, frames with stores are targets for robber bees, mice, waxworms, beetles, and other pests, so I store any frames that have honey, nectar, or pollen in big plastic bins.  Given that this is temporary, just storing the frames in the boxes might be fine, especially if your barn is pretty tight.  I would NOT crisscross the stacks though, I would stack them as tightly as possible.  Otherwise, robbers and hive pests will find them quick and destroy them.  I would also avoid if possible leaving uncapped nectar out, as that will just absorb moisture from the air and ferment. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 04:56:41 pm »
thanks!

but is it OK to keep frames in sealed boxes? I assumed they needed air circulation to prevent mold, etc?

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 05:02:50 pm »
thanks!

but is it OK to keep frames in sealed boxes? I assumed they needed air circulation to prevent mold, etc?
I store drawn blanks in tight stacks all winter, and I've never had trouble with mold, and I live where mold is common problem.  Same with the frames in the bins, I've never had mold.  The only thing I've ever had happen is uncapped nectar ferment and once I had a mouse get into a stack somehow.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 07:06:30 pm »
great thank you! Plastic bins it is then!

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 07:09:09 pm »
so just to be clear: uncapped nectar in the freezer. Capped and empty drawn frames can be in boxes

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 09:09:23 pm »
so just to be clear: uncapped nectar in the freezer. Capped and empty drawn frames can be in boxes
To be 100% honest, I put uncapped nectar in my bins too, and sometimes it's fine, but sometimes it ferments.  In your short-term situation, I would think taking it out of the freezer would be fine.  But if you have the room in the freezer, it's probably better to leave the uncapped frames in.  I personally store ALL honey frames in bins over the winter, just because it's easy to accidentally knock them open and then it's a mess.  But again, with your short-term storage, I think putting capped honey frames in the stacked boxes would probably be fine.

So just to round it all up for you: I personally store any frames with pollen, uncapped honey, or capped honey in bins, and drawn blanks (and obviously blank blanks) in my carefully, tightly stacked equipment.  But since you are only going to be having this equipment stacked up for a month or two, you can probably get away with drawn blanks and capped honey in the stacks.  You MIGHT even get away with uncapped nectar in your stacks, but you might not. 

Also, don't forget to put a lid on the stacks.  I personally tape up the holes in some inner covers and then tape them down to the top box, so I know they are secure.  And check the stacks frequently to be sure a box hasn't shifted and made a gap that something could get in.   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 09:48:10 pm »
Rvennaro,
I would remove the frames from the freezer dry them out in the your house and then seal them in plastic bags to keep the bugs out. Then freeze the other frames and do the same I personally would extract all of the honey and them bag the stickie frames to be able to give them to a hive when it is strong enough to do so. New empty drawn frames can bee stored without much chance of bug damage. Old drawn frames and frames with pollen or dead bees or brood draw in bugs, wax moths and roaches.
They need to bee protected.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 11:54:18 pm »
Rvennaro,
I would remove the frames from the freezer dry them out in the your house and then seal them in plastic bags to keep the bugs out. Then freeze the other frames and do the same I personally would extract all of the honey and them bag the stickie frames to be able to give them to a hive when it is strong enough to do so. New empty drawn frames can bee stored without much chance of bug damage. Old drawn frames and frames with pollen or dead bees or brood draw in bugs, wax moths and roaches.
They need to bee protected.
Jim Altmiller

I agree with Jim..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything