Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: THIS is how to make an instructional video!  (Read 1076 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
THIS is how to make an instructional video!
« on: February 17, 2023, 09:41:40 am »
I was blown away by this video that I happened to come across the other day. Emma Mullen is a master teacher and gives us a model lesson here. I aspire to start making instructional videos and she is an inspiration to me. So different from too many others on YouTube that go on and on giving us information we don?t need and then leave out important details we do need - and end up making things MORE confusing. The KISS rule is alive! (Keep It Simple Students)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxFwZQWchgM
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: THIS is how to make an instructional video!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 12:17:50 pm »
I disagree that an egg is a queen cell or a sign of swarming.  The queen often lays in a cell and the bees then remove the egg before it hatches.  If there is a larvae, then I consider it a queen cell and therefore a sign of swarming/supersedure/emergency.  Capped cells usually mean they have already swarmed.  Well to be honest it's about a 50/50 change if there are capped queen cells.  Eggs under the condition of capped queen cells does not mean there is a queen (which she admits).  She does a good job of pointing out why she assumes they are swarm cells.  The circumstances are the main way to determine this.

The video is well put together.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 12:27:33 pm »

The video is well put together.

Indeed, it is.  Yes, I also take exception with some statements. And of course, we all have different points of view and do things differently - but facts are still facts based on bee biology.  My point was in pointing out what a well made video this is and what a fine teacher Emma Mullen is.  Dyce is a highly regarded institution and wouldn?t have her make these videos if she was not qualified.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 08:35:57 am »
Not to complain, since YouTube is an incredibly valuable resource, and these beeks expend effort to make content...BUT,
There is a difference between instruction and blogging.
I love the straight, pre-planned, to the point instruction, but I dislike the wandering, pontificating, "oh, there's my dog", making it up as we go videos.
The University of Guelph bee program makes some nice videos also.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 03:16:05 pm »
I aspire to start making instructional videos and she is an inspiration to me.

Just to observe a couple things:  a see-thru veil; cute braids; eye contact.  A combination of long orientation shots (walking thru the yard) and up-close instructional connection shots.  All cut together well with topic-header screens and voice overs.   And no --- background music. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:51:04 am by Ben Framed »

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 01:01:22 am »
I aspire to start making instructional videos and she is an inspiration to me.

Just to observe a couple things:  a see-thru veil; cute braids; eye contact.  A combination of long orientation shots (walking thru the yard) and up-close instructional connection shots.  All cut together well with topic-header screens and voice overs.   And no --- background music.

Suggestions noted. ;-)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:51:31 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 06:20:48 am »
Looking at the 'big picture' of this videos intent, the beekeeper has shown she has waited a little long in providing more needed space.  The queen has begun to run out of room for laying as the bees are beginning to back fill the brood area with nectar 'faster' than the queen has a chance to lay in those freshly emptied cells. The hive is overcrowded and 'has over ripened', if you will lol. Therefore there is a pretty good chance the egg in the queen cup 'will' become larva, and proceed from there. Actually on another frame in the same hive, she did find a 4 day old larva in a queen cup.
If space is not provided immediately the hive 'will' swarm. In attempt to correct the problem, she provided more space. For added insurance against swarming, she pinched the queen cups regardless of being empty, with egg, or larva inside. And has vowed to return in the next 7 days for further inspection.

I agree with her reasoning for her intent. There are things I might have done a little differently, but Personally I enjoyed the video; a nice pleasant video showing what to do to correct a situation in a case as she has shown. 

Phillip

PS
As a side note, I noticed she is a 'another' single box brood, 10 frame deep, beekeeper. 😊
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 06:44:11 am »
I briefly had an apprentice who helped me make a few videos.  It's tough.  I never realized how loud all the birds in my yard are.  It's hard to show things while telling them as well while keeping things in the shot.  The wind can be terrible for background noise as well.  Then you have cars, airplanes etc.  It's not easy.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin