Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greenheads  (Read 2607 times)

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
Greenheads
« on: January 30, 2023, 11:22:49 am »
With the busy schedule still managed to take my middle son out and fill a limit of greenheads before the 2022 season closed.
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Greenheads
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 11:26:58 am »
Family time! Looks like it will be duck poppers soon! Yum! Good pictures Austin...

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 12:03:01 pm »
Family time! Looks like it will be duck poppers soon! Yum! Good pictures Austin

Yes sir, hunting makes for some great time with the kids. Thanks Phillip

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 12:10:07 pm »
Awesome!  Good to see the kids getting out there and having a great time!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 01:00:44 pm »
When they do polls on how people feel about hunting almost 100% are in favor of indigenous people hunting.  Well, all my ancestors (some of which were American Indians and most of which were Europeans) back as far as I can trace were hunters.  I'd say hunting is traditional for most people who are hunters.  They learned it from their parents who learned from theirs, etc.  My Grandfather was an engineer on the railroad and the family got to ride for free.  My dad and his brother would get on the train in Oklahoma and ride it up to Kansas to hunt pheasants and quail.  They would ride carrying their shotguns in their laps and ride back with dead birds hanging from their hunting vests.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 01:50:26 pm »
Awesome!  Good to see the kids getting out there and having a great time!
Its all they want to do  :grin:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 08:23:07 pm »
Michael,
If you tried doing that today you would get arrested.
Boys here in Baker County would have guns in their trucks at school and go hunting right after school. Today they would definitely go to jail.
Friends from Bell South talked about putting their shotguns on their work trucks and would go target shooting during lunch. A few years before I retired Bell South security officers went into a workshop and asked for 2 employees, then searched their vehicles and found weapons and fired those two employees. The supervisor was shocked and said it was ridiculous and said they all carried them in their vehicles, he said even I have one. They fired the everyone in that workshop. About 2 years later Florida made it illegal to search or ask if we have weapons in our vehicles at work.
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 04:58:53 am by BeeMaster2 »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 09:47:11 pm »
I personally have vivid clear memories enamored in times past, spent hunting and fishing with family and friends.. Keep filling the priceless pages of close fellowship and lasting memories progressing forward Austin; And thanks for the pictures. These youngsters look like they are having a good time 'all around' !!  Such smiles are priceless!!
:grin: thumbs up!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 07:14:20 am »
In Western Nebraska when I was in High School every kid had a shotgun in his car or truck so they could go pheasant or duck hunting on their way home.  When my kids went to school in Laramie every kid had a buck knife on his belt.  In sixth grade they did "hunter safety" and they all shot guns.  I was at the gun store a week or two ago and someone was picking up skeet and shotgun shells for the local high school skeet club.

I was working in Illinois building a church between jobs in Western Nebraska, so I stayed with my Dad.  We were on a coffee break and these guys were discussing the "last time they got mugged".  Having never been mugged this was very strange to me.  Then one of them talked about someone they knew who actually owned a gun.  I started laughing.  They looked at me and said, "I suppose you have a gun rack in you pickup".  I said I didn't know any carpenters who didn't.  Usually one place on it was used for the four foot level, but the rest were full of guns.  A typical job site in Western Nebraska, the guns outnumbered carpenters at least three to one and typically four or five to one.  That's just the ones they had in their truck.  There was usually a shotgun (ducks, geese and pheasants), a .22 (squirrels and rabbits), a coyote  gun (Coyote skins were going for over $100 a piece at the time) and a pistol for self defense (.44 or .357) either in the glove box or under the seat when parked and on the dash when not (concealed was illegal).  Possibly another pistol for plinking (.22).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 09:21:52 am »
I personally have vivid clear memories enamored in times past, spent hunting and fishing with family and friends.. Keep filling the priceless pages of close fellowship and lasting memories progressing forward Austin; And thanks for the pictures. These youngsters look like they are having a good time 'all around' !!  Such smiles are priceless!!
:grin: thumbs up!

So do I, such great memories from my childhood have stayed with me into my adult life and I want to make sure my kids have a chance to experience the same.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 09:26:15 am »
In Western Nebraska when I was in High School every kid had a shotgun in his car or truck so they could go pheasant or duck hunting on their way home.  When my kids went to school in Laramie every kid had a buck knife on his belt.  In sixth grade they did "hunter safety" and they all shot guns.  I was at the gun store a week or two ago and someone was picking up skeet and shotgun shells for the local high school skeet club.

I was working in Illinois building a church between jobs in Western Nebraska, so I stayed with my Dad.  We were on a coffee break and these guys were discussing the "last time they got mugged".  Having never been mugged this was very strange to me.  Then one of them talked about someone they knew who actually owned a gun.  I started laughing.  They looked at me and said, "I suppose you have a gun rack in you pickup".  I said I didn't know any carpenters who didn't.  Usually one place on it was used for the four foot level, but the rest were full of guns.  A typical job site in Western Nebraska, the guns outnumbered carpenters at least three to one and typically four or five to one.  That's just the ones they had in their truck.  There was usually a shotgun (ducks, geese and pheasants), a .22 (squirrels and rabbits), a coyote  gun (Coyote skins were going for over $100 a piece at the time) and a pistol for self defense (.44 or .357) either in the glove box or under the seat when parked and on the dash when not (concealed was illegal).  Possibly another pistol for plinking (.22).

My dad talks about the days when all the boys came to school with their shotguns in their trucks and went hunting everyday after. No ne was ever threatened or shot, just a bunch of young guys enjoying the outdoors. Maybe we need more of that these days. I remember the boys in highschool used to bring their bows and go bowhunting after school in early season. Half of them probably had their rifles in the truck during firearm season too, just never said anything; times have really changed. I'm a licensed CC, but with my work I have to be very careful where I travel with my handguns. 

anything