Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Watching For Comets  (Read 2702 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Watching For Comets
« on: January 28, 2023, 07:55:51 pm »
I went outside last night with my telescope to see comet C/2022 E3, which is visible in the sky right now.  It's pretty easy to find with binoculars, and as it nears earth, it could become visible with the naked eye by the time it makes its closest approach to us on Feb. 1.  It's got a nice green glow right now, although not too spectacular of a tail with my telescope magnification at least.  Anyone else taken a look at it?
https://www.space.com/comet-c2022-e3-ztf-how-to-see-approach-earth

As a result, I've had this song stuck in my head all day.  It didn't help that I made it my alarm this morning.  :grin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWb4LUpL6Io
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Watching For Comets
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 10:22:34 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Reagan. I wont get to look toninght because its raining here, maybe tomorrow night.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 07:56:45 am »
I haven't.  There is a telescope out in my barn with a 12" lens.  I suppose I should drag it out.  But the temps here are in the single digits right now...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 12:32:18 pm »
I haven't.  There is a telescope out in my barn with a 12" lens.  I suppose I should drag it out.  But the temps here are in the single digits right now...
That's big for a refractor!  And the colder it is, the clearer the atmosphere!  :wink:  I have a 4.5 in Dobsonian reflector.  I really like it, but the only pain is that I have to set it up on something to conveniently look through the eyepiece, unless the telescope is pointed straight up.  I used to have this little wooden outdoor table that was perfectly sized for it, but it's getting all rotted through now.  I keep meaning to try and make a duplicate using the old one as a model, but I have yet to get around to it. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 01:52:59 pm »
My brother gave me this one.  I tried to get my son and my granddaughter to set it up.  It's even got a motor to track etc.  I don't know how well it tracks though.  Probably better than nothing.  If you come to visit or to go to Bee Camp, you're welcome to set it up and see what you think.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 12:38:34 pm »
My brother gave me this one.  I tried to get my son and my granddaughter to set it up.  It's even got a motor to track etc.  I don't know how well it tracks though.  Probably better than nothing.  If you come to visit or to go to Bee Camp, you're welcome to set it up and see what you think.  :)
Sounds fun!  Nebraska is a little far for me, :wink: but maybe if I end up out that way some time. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 04:30:00 pm »
Just finished this book for a little alt history fun:  https://grahamhancock.com/magicians/

He has some interesting perspectives and in this book, one of those ideas is the return of a previous planet killer comet.  Sometimes alt is correct.  I always figure it's worth knowing
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 06:32:25 pm »
Just finished this book for a little alt history fun:  https://grahamhancock.com/magicians/

He has some interesting perspectives and in this book, one of those ideas is the return of a previous planet killer comet.  Sometimes alt is correct.  I always figure it's worth knowing
It's true.  This comet wasn't even discovered until it was already inside the orbit of Jupiter, which would be pretty late to do anything if the thing was on a collision course. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 06:56:47 am »
When Halley couldn't account mathematically for differences in the recurrence of the comet (named after him now) he was directed to Isaac Newton who had the math to solve it.  When he asked Newton why he didn't publish this math of his, he was told that Newton couldn't afford it.  So Halley helped finance the publication of Philosophi? Naturalis Principia Mathematica in 1687 and changed the world.
-------------------