Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When Does The Maple Flow Start In Your Area?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
When Does The Maple Flow Start In Your Area?
« on: January 02, 2023, 09:54:04 pm »

Do you collect maple sap for making syrup? When does the maple flow start in your area?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: When Does The Maple Flow Start In Your Area?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 08:12:26 am »
I don't but the guy who built my house planted the maple trees that are here 160 years ago and he writes in his diary that it's frustrating trying to get syrup in Nebraska.  The spring is too unpredictable.  It was probably global warming... sorry, climate change...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 08:44:18 am »
Thanks for the humor Michale.
Yes I can understand the effects of energy used 160 years ago which might have started global warming way back then! One example; methane gas released from horse drawn buggies etc. most certainly caused a varied greenhouse effect that might have led to the uncertainty of when to collect maple sap by your homes original owner way out in Nebraska 160 years ago.
 :shocked::cheesy: :wink:

Each late Winter/Early Spring  is different and always has been. As we know the climate had always changed, and will continue to change with or without humans. lol If one does not believe it all one has to do is ask their local Groundhog on Feb 2. Even though we might get a different answer from year to year! 🤣 THE GROUNDHOG KNOWS  😂

I don?t know how folks who collect maple sap determine when the time is right to do so. Maybe the information provided by the groundhog is the answer? lol

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 09:08:40 am »
My son has a huge gum tree in his yard (also in Southeast Nebraska) and there is a tap in it where someone used to gather the sap ad left the tap...  I don't know if they made syrup or something else from it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 09:24:25 am »
My son has a huge gum tree in his yard (also in Southeast Nebraska) and there is a tap in it where someone used to gather the sap ad left the tap...  I don't know if they made syrup or something else from it.

Interesting, I do not know the answer but to please my curiosity I would like to know. 

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 09:40:02 am »
My ancestors used to make syrup from the sap of many different trees, including Maples and Birches.  I never heard of gum being used, but I suppose there is some sugar in all tree sap.
-------------------

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 11:31:52 pm »
It has to freeze at night to make the sap run when it starts thawing. You quit when you get sick of maple syrup. Or it gets to stought  from the trees budding out.  Usually start in March and done when the frogs start getting noisy. I am in NW Minnesota.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 11:47:43 pm »
I think people around here make black walnut syrup.  I've never had any, and I'm not sure what time of year is normal to harvest. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.