Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Branded Double Horseshoe  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Branded Double Horseshoe
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2023, 08:33:33 pm »
We had a Colt out of Bugs Alive In Seventy Five that defiantly had a screw loose. It happens in nature. 😁

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2023, 08:44:30 am »
I've watched Brian Neubert and Chris Cox work with out of control horses.  Brian took a wild mustang and had it pretty well broke in about an hour.  It's not about wearing the horse out, but getting it to pay attention and respond.  Chris just uses a long lead line and swings it in the air it to move the horse back and forth until it's paying attention.  If waving it in the air isn't working he will lightly hit the horse on the back end while he's facing the horse to get the horse to move it's hind quarter one way and then the other way.  My grandpa grew up driving and breaking horses.  He always said you treat a horse with gentleness and kindness, but sometimes  you have to get their attention first.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2023, 11:46:22 am »
My grandfather owned the livery stable and bought and sold horses all his life. He would go down to the islands off the coast of NC and catch the wild ponies. Then bring them 225 miles back, break them and sell them or use them in livery. He died after a horse stepped on his big toe. At 5 years old, I didn't understand gangrene, so I was afraid of horses all the time I was growing up.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CLSranch

• New Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2023, 12:07:48 pm »
CLS, I love Blue Heelers. I relate! lol

When you have the time search the topic "My Friend Tuff" in the search engine at the top of the main page. I feel sure you can relate lol..

Phillip

I did the search. It just showed your post suggesting the search. Hmmm, no biggie

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2023, 12:09:27 pm »
CLS, I love Blue Heelers. I relate! lol

When you have the time search the topic "My Friend Tuff" in the search engine at the top of the main page. I feel sure you can relate lol..

Phillip

I did the search. It just showed your post suggesting the search. Hmmm, no biggie
Here it is. https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=51961.0
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2023, 08:31:23 pm »
Here it is. https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=51961.0

Reagan, thanks for finding and posting the link. Yes that is it!

Phillip

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 11:12:32 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2023, 10:09:38 pm »
I've watched Brian Neubert and Chris Cox work with out of control horses.  Brian took a wild mustang and had it pretty well broke in about an hour.  It's not about wearing the horse out, but getting it to pay attention and respond.  Chris just uses a long lead line and swings it in the air it to move the horse back and forth until it's paying attention.  If waving it in the air isn't working he will lightly hit the horse on the back end while he's facing the horse to get the horse to move it's hind quarter one way and then the other way.  My grandpa grew up driving and breaking horses.  He always said you treat a horse with gentleness and kindness, but sometimes  you have to get their attention first.

> It's not about wearing the horse out, but getting it to pay attention and respond.

Unless he is a dangerous barn-struck horse which can turn into a full out runaway which can KILL you.. In that case the wearing out can be a tool as described above to help the horse.
As said, "It's not about wearing the horse out, but getting it to pay attention and respond" and I will add; The most gentle and easiest way for the horse which will work out, which by the way, will also be more pleasant for the trainer also in most cases.

I do not lunge a colt until all the steps which proceed are first implemented in horse school (as I said in earlier post). but there again different folks do things different ways which may lead to the same good results. Or a different sequence of introduced steps may differ form trainer to trainer as CLS described his method as working well for him and the horse by lunging first before teaching leg and foot work, and I can see where that might help the Colt of Philly to be more settled down and relaxed during that first leg and foot handling step. Even though I do it differently. After all their is more than one way to skin a cat lol.

The way I go about it in my program which works well for me is tying, leading, brushing, introduction to the bit, introduced to saddle blankets, introduction to the saddle, introduction of the 'feel' of the saddle girth (which if very unnatural for an untrained horse and can be frightening for such animal) , gentle leg and foot work etc. Lunging is far down the list in the horse school, perhaps the 8th grade would be a good description.

The lunging tool is multifunctional tool, used to help the colt to accept the unnatural 'odd feel' of the saddle, and stirrups 'bumping'  his side while in motion and is where sometimes a buck can be witnessed if a colt is frightened enough. That is why I take is slow and easy, I do not want them to ever know what 'buck' is. lol.
Lunging is also an all important 'aid' building up to the most important word of all, 'WHOA' which will be even further built upon and learned when driving school is in session. Lunging helps build confidence between the colt, equipment, (saddles and such) and trainer, for those later driving lessons which are to come later in the round pen, where the gentle feel of the slight pressure of the bit is used.  When the Colt is asked to Whoa during driving sessions, it is so much easier for the colt when lunging school had the word whoa introduced in that class before hand.

When the time is right for Lunging school; Using 'body language' to help encourage the colt to continue movement is a good block builder. When a good session is complete, speak a firm WHOA in unisons while immediately ceasing body language is important, and is like unto the drill Sergeant saying to the private AT-EASE. The horse is allowed to stop with out being ask to further do 'anything', then rewarded with a gentle talking to, and gentle rubbing, while adding a 'good boy' or 'good girl' as well, at least that is how I do it. The word whoa taught in this manner from that point is associated by the colt with stopping and reward. Also; Longing will help settle a colt or previously untrained horse down if he is fresh and jumpy,. Just as a simple 15 minute recess of play time will help settle an energetic child, so he or she can come back to the class room with a refreshed and relaxed mind and body, thus more eager to learn and absorb what is being taught in class. 
All while 'Keeping their attention' As your grandaddy explained.

>  If waving it in the air isn't working he will lightly hit the horse on the back end while he's facing the horse to get the horse to move it's hind quarter one way and then the other way.

My way as well..

> He always said you treat a horse with gentleness and kindness,

Which he was right and is what I have emphasized repeatedly in prior post.

>but sometimes you have to get their attention first.

It doesn't take much to get the average 'untrained' horses' attention when properly schooled, rarely should you need to do more than you described in the Chirs Cox situation above. Unless, you have one that comes at you with both back feet flying meaning to take your head off as I also gave an example above. This type horse Colt or Philly is rare, few, and far in between, (speaking of untrained horses) including wild horses. i.e.  Even wild horses have a pecking order and will come around pretty quickly in training if properly handled while seeing you are the 'main horse', while realizing you mean no harm to them as  they learn to accept " this person is a head higher on the totem pole than I am"  A person has to have the gift of communicating with the horse which can not talk nor understand English 'until certain words are introduced and learned'.  Proper schooling while building their trust by communication in a way they can understand 'horse language', is the gentle and best way. (In my opinion).

i..e.
(I was not speaking of a  spoiled horse as Jim has described who has learned through action how to get her way, seeking a higher elevation in  the pecking order and having built the the confidence of achieving that goal through action, a totally different ball game. I am speaking of 'untrained' horses whether wild or gentle).

PS
Two of my Uncles, my Daddy, and a Cousin, who were all raised ON ranches making their living with both horses and cows as my Grandaddy before, decided to go to a Chris Cox 2 day event.  My Son and I tagged along for a family, guys day out. This was back before Chris Cox was so much a TV horse Star. You might be interested to know he not only lunged his horse in this event, and (both days), but longed it around the bounds of entire inside of the Paul Battle arena located in Tunica Ms, 'several times' 'without cease' (and its a big arena). That is more than I have 'ever felt' that a colt or filly in training, had the need in one session in my experience. 'Except for the hope of saving a 'dangerous' barn struck, potential runaway, spoiled horse, from the glue man.'  And I rather doubt that anyone can really stop a 'true runaway' as the one I posted about above, short of the glue factor ( that was for you gww),  :wink: a barn struck horse is another matter and has a fair chance of a good life if handled properly. Again in my opinion.. and I am not knocking Chris Cox, it worked for Chris and as I said before, their's more than one way to skin a cat.😁 Chris did a good job that weekend. 

Phillip
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 12:04:38 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2023, 11:10:24 am »
I've watched Brian Neubert and Chris Cox work with out of control horses.

I got to watch Clinton Anderson several times.  He had some really great sacking out methods that I used with success.  Bomb proofing is always my first move.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2023, 11:23:02 am »
>Unless he is a dangerous barn-struck horse which can turn into a full out runaway which can KILL you..

The Chris Cox demo was exactly that kind of horse.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2023, 01:33:12 pm »
>Unless he is a dangerous barn-struck horse which can turn into a full out runaway which can KILL you..

The Chris Cox demo was exactly that kind of horse.

For Chris' demonstration horse, do you remember what type of dangerous life treating injuries had been inflicted on the previous handler before Chris helped the horse? Did Chris use the coiled rope while on horse back of a well trained horse as part of the training exercise and session? Did he do all the work on foot? I searched for any archives hoping to find the answers to these and other questions... unfortunately to no avail.

Every horse is different, every circumstance is different. Any horse might react differently in any circumstance of training. Each individual horse guides the best and easiest path for both horse and handler  individually. Even when a problem is made know. The level of training ability also differs from handler to handle. No one thing is a fix all for all. Many factors are and can be involved in each situation.

Phillip
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 01:51:18 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2023, 01:49:11 pm »
There are many trainers. Some are popular and are very good at it while making a lot of money doing it, as the ones mentioned. I suppose for starting colts, the person who does basic things very similar to the way I was taught by family and horses is a fellow named Mike Kevil.  He is pretty much spot on as the way we do things. I do not know how popular his is but he has a really good book, or did several years ago published by Western Horseman. If someone such as Jim wished to start a few colts, or even learn the basis of it, I would HIGHLY suggest this book if it is still in print..

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2023, 01:59:45 pm »
The horse would attack both front feet (rearing and kicking) and back (spin around and kick).  I don't know if anyone had been hurt before, just how the horse was acting and what the issue was.
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2023, 02:46:57 pm »
The horse would attack both front feet (rearing and kicking) and back (spin around and kick).  I don't know if anyone had been hurt before, just how the horse was acting and what the issue was.

Yes that is how many barn struck 'sour' horses act when they wish to head back to the barn.

When correcting this problem, Its pretty hard to simply tap an attacking horse on its hind quarters or back with a 'coiled up' rope when It is kicking at you with both feet at one end and trying to stomp and bite you on the other end, you are in the kill zone unless you are on the back of another 'well trained' horse suited for such purposes, which many do not have.

I have never seen such but I heard of a person making the mistake attempting to back the horse away from the barn area while onboard, thinking that move might help. The horse flipped back on top of the rider...

Phillip

« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 04:40:21 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2023, 07:12:27 pm »
When I was a kid we had a horse named captain.  He was a good 17 hands tall and beautiful.  He liked to flip over backwards.  Broke my old mans wrist doing so one time.  Wish they would have had you tube back then so I could have watched repurposing the horses instinct by trainers like they have on now.  Got to admit though that we probably would not have took the time as we had lots of horses with bad habits that we just used with those bad habits or sold.
Cheers
gww

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2023, 07:45:10 am »
Watch some Chris Cox videos and you'll get a feel for it.  It's not just touching the horse, it's getting the horse to start paying attention and responding to the person in charge.
-------------------

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2023, 09:05:44 am »
Do you have a link to that video? I did a search and found several Cris Cox Videos but not the right one.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2023, 09:30:43 am »
>Do you have a link to that video?

The presentation I was referring to I watched in person at the local Equine Expo.  But the principle is the same in most of his videos which is basically a simple system to get the horse paying attention and in the long run to make it a habit for them to pay attention.  I haven't searched YouTube to see what he has there.  I have bought a number of his videos on DVD but it's been a long time since I bought them or watched them.  This particular demonstration the horse was really out of control and had gotten in the habit of intimidating people by rearing and kicking.  But the principle he used in all of his demos (he did several at that Expo) was the same as he seems to use for everything.  I suppose part of the confidence of these horsemen with a dangerous horse is knowing how fast you have to be to keep out of trouble and just what you can and can't do so you don't fail and give the horse the idea that they can get away with it.  A lot of it is timing.  A lot of it is horse psychology.
-------------------

Offline CLSranch

• New Bee
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2023, 12:20:54 pm »
I liked watching Chris Cox when I had satellite.

Phillip. I was reading on another forum that you went to the chuck wagon races in Clinton. They have a few wild ones there. How did you like it? I used to out ride for some of them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2023, 12:57:50 pm »
We had a nice time there. I think I seen about every type of horse and mule imaginable. The year we went there were 40 something thousand horses and mules gathered. It was announced it was the largest congregation of horses and mules since the Civil War.. That is the first time I seen a zebra bred mule and there were several of those also, mostly pulling wagons. I will post a picture of one if I found on the net.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:05:21 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2023, 02:00:54 pm »
It's a zonkey.
-------------------