Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Have You Done A Honey Bee Removal?  (Read 5267 times)

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Have You Done A Honey Bee Removal?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 03:21:17 pm »

inside bedroom, 2nd floor behind chimney
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2022, 07:54:50 pm »

Another big hive in the floor trusses at a condo in Pigoen Forge.
Very hard to reach, too about 10 hours to get......at least in the AC, had it turned as low as it would go and a fan to boot.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2022, 08:01:16 pm »

Same condo in Pigeon Forge, inside of a little outside closet, 10 hour job, could just barely touch the comb with my finger tips.

Bonus points if you know what this is????

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2022, 08:11:46 pm »

Bonus points if you know what this is????
Bumble bee nest!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2022, 08:14:30 pm »
Excellent !!

You  get an A+

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2022, 08:18:11 pm »

in the overhang of a house that was eaten up by squirrels. This one was a tuff sell, the wife wanted it done but the law professor wanted to just leave them be, three months later he finally called and gave the go ahead.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2022, 11:23:21 pm »
Good Pictures G3
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2022, 07:22:11 am »
>Have any of you members ever removed, participated in, or witnessed a Honey Bee Colony Removal?

More than I can remember.

The video you linked to created a lot of controversy for some reason.  People were angry that she was doing this with no protection.  I even got interviewed by one of those online news places about what I thought of it.  People have been doing beekeeping with no protective equipment for as long as there have been humans.  Sometimes they are showing off.  But generally they are trying to make the case that the bees are not out to get you.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2022, 07:59:19 am »
I have also done more removals than I can count. 90 percent of the time I don?t use protection. Not because I?m showing off, it is just too darn hot here to wear a suit. When I start getting too many stings, I will put one on. I always test the bees before I start, if I can pet the guard bees I don?t bother with the suit. The worst way to remove bees is over your head, especially if you cannot open more area than the comb area covers. This is because you are trying to cut the comb through the narrow area between the comb and bees are getting injured. The last time I did this I took over 25 stings to the head and arms before I put on a suit.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2023, 03:47:52 pm »
I'm a little late to the event here, but yes, my primary business is now live hive removal and relocation.  I produce greater revenue from removals than I do in honey sales by far.  Cutouts and trap-outs are my focus as many others are happy to do swarms (I am too, don't get me wrong, but I play well with others and am happy to share and let hobby beekeepers in my area especially get the swarms.). I generally suit up as I'm simply tired of being stung from walkers getting behind my knees or under my shirt.

I take on the dirty, difficult removals that most others decline such as:

3rd story roofline trap-out, yup.
Inside the steel chassis of an excavator, yup
Inside the support structure for a microwave antenna on a military base, yup
Inside the floors of shipping containers, yup
Inside the walls of asphalt heating/transport containers, yup
In the walls of registered historic homes...yup.

It's all challenging and fun to me.  I love that every removal is unique--that's part of. what attracts me aside from the bees.

Upcoming:
Cliffside removal at a rock quarry using a massive boom-lift. (I had to locate the hive first using bee-lining...I actually discovered two hives onsite doing this.

One of these days I'll post pictures, lol....when I have time!  :tongue:

anything