Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Whats Going On At Ford?  (Read 2737 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Whats Going On At Ford?
« on: September 08, 2022, 11:34:26 pm »
Is This True?  Surely NOT? Anyone here know for sure?

https://youtube.com/shorts/yGoRUMyTX2Y?feature=share
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Whats Going On At Ford?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 08:28:53 am »
Both are probably made in China.  In the interest of fuel savings weight is taken out of all cars produced today and into the future.  There are no grease fittings on the metal version (common today) so longevity is unknown which will last longer.  In a no maintenance situation I would bet on the plastic.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 11:12:37 am »
I've seen "no maintenance" systems all my life replace ones that allow you to maintain them.  They never last longer.  When I finally retired my 1970 ford van after more than a half million miles, it still had the original front wheel bearings (which I could pack) and I had replaced the rear (sealed maintenance free) bearings more times than I can remember.  I can still remember a lot of long hikes with an axel on my shoulder to go buy a new sealed bearing and have it pressed on.  Same with fans.  You used to always have a spot you could oil the bearings and those lasted forever.  None of the new ones have such a thing and I'm lucky if they last a year.  I'm more than happy to maintain things.  I'm not happy when I have to replace them because I couldn't maintain them.  Plastic has gotten much better over the years to where in SOME applications it will outlast other materials.  But mostly metal will still outlast it.  Sometimes by a lot.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 05:05:47 pm »
A lot of items today are designed to have a short lifespan. I have repaired a lot of electrical equipment that had a soldered in fuse that I would bet was designed to open after a certain number of hours. When something electrical fails the first thing I check is the fuse.
It used to bee fuses were on the outside and designed to be able to bee replaced, now they are soldered in and not even marked as a fuse.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 07:08:40 pm »
Both of my little dehydrators needed new thermal fuses.  Fixing things is one real use of the internet and makes dumb guys a bit smarter.  I must say that solder is high as heck to buy these days though.  Everything is a made to throw away.  I do say that cars last longer now even with normal maintenance of the old ones.  I am still driving and using the old  1950 ford 8n and working on getting the 1985 back hoe to get it back in use as it has been down for about two years.
Cheers
gww

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 08:52:43 am »
In general people don't want things to last forever.  They want something different.  The Delorian is a perfect example.  The electric car is a good example of low maintenance until the battery needs replacing.  That is when people will get a new car.  But newer cars do last longer than old cars as a general rule.  The old tractors were designed to replace the horse.  They needed to be heavy to pull implements which if powered were powered by pulling.  New tractors need HP because they are the power plant for all the add on implements.  Anyone who has an old tractor knows it needs maintenance but the tractor itself lasts a long time because it was overbuilt for weight.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 08:17:07 am »
>In general people don't want things to last forever.

Then, in general, people are stupid.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 08:32:57 am »
>In general people don't want things to last forever.

Then, in general, people are stupid.
That has been proven over and over again.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it