Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Upstate South Carolina here  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Plinsc

• New Bee
Upstate South Carolina here
« on: September 02, 2022, 11:08:15 pm »
 Hello
  We have an acre but it is surrounded by national forest and Game Management land. I haven?t gotten any bees yet as I?m still learning about keeping them.
 I plan to build the hives this winter with the goal being springtime.
 I do suffer from some health conditions that have weakened my hands so going with the plans I got for Layens hives. I?m afraid I could lose my grip hoisting boxes around, that could get sporty!
 Looking forward to the adventures ahead!
Doing everything the hard way

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Upstate South Carolina here
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 12:46:01 am »
Welcome to Beemaster, Plinsc!  :happy:  I can't wait to hear about how the Layens hive is to work with.  I use 8 frame medium Langstroths, but I love learning about other hive types.  By the way, it would be best for you to make the location on your profile a little more narrow than just the United States.  Beekeeping is very local, and it will be much easier for people to give advice and discuss useful ideas if they know a little better what your climate in your location is like.  I'm looking forward to hearing about your beekeeping adventures!  :grin:   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 09:01:35 am »
Plin,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Good luck with using Lyyens hives. I have not heard anyone on BeeMaster talk about them. Hopefully someone who uses them can pipe up and provide some first hand experience for you.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 08:54:38 am »
Greetings to you Plinsc; from "Upstate Mississippi"!  :grin:  Thanks for choosing Beemaster as one of your starting places in your Honey Bee 'adventure'! Hopefully you will have those bees soon.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 11:05:01 am »
Welcome from VA
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 11:33:15 am »
Welcome.  I zipped through a little info on those hives and I'll be interested to hear from you how they work!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 04:55:53 pm »
First off welcome. I have a friend of mine who said he was doing 2 of the Layens hives this spring Ill have to give him a ring and see how it all worked out.