Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How not to do a swarm removal.  (Read 2457 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
How not to do a swarm removal.
« on: August 07, 2022, 07:57:36 am »
Here is what you don?t want to do to remove a swarm from a small tree branch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPtNFVFFuQE#noexternalembed-ws

The way to do this the easy way is to cut the branch off of the tree and shake it over the box. Bee sure to take just enough of the branch to bee able to hold onto it. Once you remove the bees from the branch, put the branch a good ways away from the swarm to keep them from going back to it. It is covered in pheromones that draw the bees back to it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: How not to do a swarm removal.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 12:42:05 pm »
The way to do this the easy way is to cut the branch off of the tree and shake it over the box. Bee sure to take just enough of the branch to bee able to hold onto it. Once you remove the bees from the branch, put the branch a good ways away from the swarm to keep them from going back to it. It is covered in pheromones that draw the bees back to it.
Jim Altmille

Yes I agree Jim, to cut the branch would have been one way and much easier in this situation. Even still after trying 'most' every thing including the sheet method as in JPs' video you posted earlier, I have learned of a much more efficient method (in my opinion). 

A bee vac of the proper design would have been hard to beat! Actually since I have been using my home built bee vac to retrieve swarms, I can't remember the last time I cut a branch or limb! I retrieve 99.98 % of the bees and have never lost a queen when retrieving a swarm with my bee-vac!

I highly recommend the bee vac method; but if and only if, a bee-vac of proper design is used, proven to be 'bee friendly'. I have read and heard of some types of bee vacs which are not optimum for producing desired results (loss of bees)... A bee vac design which will give optimum results is a must for a happy ending when using the bee-vac method!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 07:11:51 pm »
Ha, Ha, Ive only messed with 3 swarms ever. But that is exactly how I did all 3.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 03:16:30 pm »
Oh, my...   :shocked:

anything