Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hydro Power!  (Read 853 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Hydro Power!
« on: February 19, 2024, 09:35:23 am »
Do you have a small creek on your property? Have you considered installing a mini hydro power plant? The first video, though not built for hydro power shows how to divert the water flow in the beginning process. The second video shows how to build a dam with hydro power as the subject.

"Construction of a powerful 4-gate discharge dam"

https://youtu.be/9U_OTeqJ-sM?si=7v1vOzOUsqf023cI

"Build mini hydropower on a small stream with a powerful unit"

https://youtu.be/W5xXy32aPfw?si=EETY7y_uRiA-CJo5
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 09:50:54 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Hydro Power!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 09:46:58 am »
None of the youtube urls people post on here ever work for me.  This is one I would have liked.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 09:52:19 am »
None of the youtube urls people post on here ever work for me.  This is one I would have liked.

Thanks for telling me. I modified and chose another link for each. Please try again and advise...

PS Does anyone else have this problem?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 10:02:36 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 10:17:54 am »
From one commenter.

"@leobuscaglia5576"
"7 months ago"
"If you install the turbine lower inside that tube you will generate more power. I am a civil engineer working in the hydropower sector and I absolutely approve of this. Hats off to you sir."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 10:49:21 am »
I have a creek running through my place that runs year around.  But it floods from time to time.  I've considered a trompe but even that is likely to wash away.  The guy who built my house had a mill to saw wood but it washed away twice before he gave up on it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 11:10:30 am »
I don't have problems following links, but I do find myself clicking on less because it's just a hassle to not have them embedded. 

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 12:36:41 pm by Ben Framed »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 12:36:57 pm »
I don't have problems following links, but I do find myself clicking on less because it's just a hassle to not have them embedded.

>I don't have problems following links,

Thanks Reagan, I don?t know why Mr Bush is not allowed to to click on the ulr and find the videos.
Also if  the poster will include ithe title of the video within the post, we can copy and paste that title of the video on Youtubes? search bar and the video will usually pop up.

> I do find myself clicking on less because it's just a hassle to not have them embedded. 

That is why I for one, usually post a brief description of what is in the video, to help prevent folks from wasting their time clicking on a video that they may not be interested in.

Phillip

Offline Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 12:50:52 pm »

Thanks for telling me. I modified and chose another link for each. Please try again and advise...

I do not. Have you tried copying and pasting the link into your address bar?

Those ideas are neat and I love to see simple but functional things like that but the EPA would probably make it too much of a hassle to do.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 12:58:47 pm »
Yes, I've tried just pasting the url.  It gives me an error and doesn't work.
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2024, 01:27:53 pm »
Yes, I've tried just pasting the url.  It gives me an error and doesn't work.

In that case you can simply copy and paste the video (Title) that I highlighted in black in an above post. Paste in YouTube search and it will take you to it.  Since you are interested,  I hope you are able to find those two videos.

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2024, 01:52:01 pm »
I did that and of course, the search found it.
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 08:03:02 pm »
Good, glad you found it. I hope it will be of value to you.

Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2024, 10:51:05 pm »
Michael,
If I had a creek with continuous flow I would definitely build a hydroelectric generator on it. Up in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee there is a water wheel that taps into the creek upstream and uses a sluice way to channel the water and runs it down to where the water wheel building is. I suspect they did that due to flooding.
I have also seen where people have made a floating platform that has the generator on it and is anchored in place so that it rises and falls when the creek level changes.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 07:33:35 am »
My creek varies from 4 feet to 35 feet.  Maybe the channel would work but I'm afraid it would wash out in a flood.
-------------------

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 06:41:52 pm »
Many years ago I visited a salmon farm in Tasmania that had an impressive setup. Water for the salmon  tanks was collected from below a waterfall high above the farm. It was run though a large pipe that flowed to the salmon tanks that cascaded down a hill. Water was fed into each one at quite a high volume. Natural aeration was achieved due to the action of the waterfall. Each tank had a current generated due to the amount of water flowing in. The fish were extremely healthy and were basically disease free as the water cycled through quickly. Overflow water was then directed to the next tank down the hill. Towards the bottom of the hill, waste water ran through a race and over a water wheel which generated power for the processing shed. From memory, solar power was also used to help supply energy requirements for the shed. Waste water was then directed into a large, flat wetland area where plants of various types broke down any fish waste. The water then slowly flowed back into the stream. Tests indicated that the quality of water flowing out of the system was as clean if not cleaner than the input water from the waterfall. What an amazing setup. Free water, no power utilised to run the system and electricity generated as a byproduct.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2024, 01:23:46 am »
That?s an awesome setup. Thanks Les!

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 09:16:39 am »

In that case you can simply copy and paste the video (Title) that I highlighted in black in an above post. Paste in YouTube search and it will take you to it.  Since you are interested,  I hope you are able to find those two videos.

Phillip

Late, but if you do not have the title, the unique video identifier in the URL works as well.

Ben's (edited) link.
https://youtu.be/9U_OTeqJ-sM?si=7v1vOzOUsqf023cI

What it becomes after I click it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U_OTeqJ-sM

The important part is 9U_OTeqJ-sM  Do not have to here but on another forum where the videos are embedded as media, I have to copy just this part and search on Youtube. (Probably because my browser is out of date) Works every time as long as I do not pick up a stray ? / or =

And have long dreamed of hydro here. Creek too big, land too flat :cry: Possibly an undershot wheel would work but cost a fortune to build strong enough to not wash out.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2024, 09:16:35 am »
Do you have a small creek on your property? Have you considered installing a mini hydro power plant? The first video, though not built for hydro power shows how to divert the water flow in the beginning process.
Although I have thought about it, it in most cases it is illegal to divert or harness energy from a water way even if it runs through your own land. Be careful with this one.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything