Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Homemade wax press  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
Homemade wax press
« on: August 01, 2022, 09:27:34 am »
My next project will be a wax press. Can anyone give me some guidance on what size holes I should have in the perforated plate.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Homemade wax press
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 09:39:46 am »
Which press are you considering. I printed a wax roller that you could use. I have tried to make a base and have one that I can probably scale up to match the roller that I have.
Judy just found several on Amazon that you can check out.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 09:50:37 am »
Here is the nam of one of the ones on Amazon:
HNDTM Beeswax Foundation Press Mold Beekeeping Silicone
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 10:06:24 am »
Sorry should have been a little more specific. Its to press the honey out of the wax. Also thinking it could be used to press the remaining wax out of the slum-gum. Lyson makes one the holes on theirs are 1/8 x 1/4 oblong. And way overpriced.

My thought was steam strainer basket. Holes will be round instead of oblong, and 1/8 may be to large for the slum-gum.

IDK. Just kicking this around in my head

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 10:30:19 am »
Bill,
Here is a picture of the roller that I made. I scaled it to bee small cell.

Jim Altmiller

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:23:07 pm by Ben Framed »
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 10:32:37 am »
Sorry, I didn?t see your reply until after I posted the picture.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 10:45:16 am »
No, thats ok. You used that yet?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 01:43:33 pm »
No, I still need the flat plate that it would roll on. I designed and printed a miniature one, as with the roller, it will take a lot of thread to make it.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 02:11:13 pm »
I looked on amazon. Was thinking something like this.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 02:12:53 pm »
Well that could have been a little bigger still working on this pic thing.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 02:26:05 pm »
Bill,
Here is a picture of the roller that I made. I scaled it to bee small cell.

Jim Altmiller

Very impressive Jim. The plastic printers are awesome. I watched a video by Joe May demonstrating an anti-robbing devise he made.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 04:50:01 pm »
I still need the flat plate that it would roll on.
Confused.  You need two rollers that fit inside each other.  Yes?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 07:54:05 pm »
Ace,
If I make a plate with the same pattern on the top surface you can lay a warm sheet of wax on top of it and roll that on top of it and make wax foundation.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 08:24:15 am »
Ace,
If I make a plate with the same pattern on the top surface you can lay a warm sheet of wax on top of it and roll that on top of it and make wax foundation.
Jim Altmiller
Yes double rack and pinion and you need to maintain the distance between ;the plate and the roll.  Much harder to do then making two rolls with a gear on each roll keeping time.  The kicker is the pitch diameter of the embossed rolls must match the pitch dia of the gears exactly.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 08:38:13 am »
Hi Bill,

This is what I use to press the remaining honey out of cappings after extracting,

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 09:10:49 am »
I like the looks of that Les.

Bill I really doubt that you would wish to go to the following extreme for your Homemade wax press, but for entertainment you might enjoy the following video posted here at "Beemaster" by Jim (Beemaster2) back in 2019.

Phillip

https://youtu.be/ambkAIFNgYM
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 09:25:54 am »

I have a sausage press if anyone is interested in playing around.  PM me.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wqJq5ZMHfAhvA77JA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GYbY3anrm6n2yBGP6
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2022, 09:36:06 am »
Les that is more or less what lyson sells, looked pretty easy to be able to fabricate one up for about a quarter of what they sell them for though.

Thanks Phillip that was an interesting vid. got me thinking about going horizontal instead of vertical. (gears turning).

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 07:37:02 pm »
Hi Bill,

I reckon you could make one without too much effort. The stainless cylinder would create a few issues. (You would need to get the mesh rolled.) The press works quite well at removing honey from the cappings. It comes out of the wax much better when the weather is warm. I have been leaving my cappings to drain overnight and then pressing them the next day. With the cool weather, I have been putting the cappings in my honey warming cabinet for about 5 or more hours or more before pressing them. Cleanup is a bit of a pain but once you develop a technique, it?s not too bad.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 08:08:53 pm »
les what is the diameter of yours I was thinking 12 inch. The stainless cylinder would come from a strainer used on a steam line. already complete. Thats why I was wondering hole size on the cylinder. And all my extracting is done when its over 80 degrees.

Again I just know I loose a lot of honey and a lot of wax every year. I figured 2 more steps in the overall process might remedy that.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2022, 02:22:34 am »
Hi Bill

My cylinder is about 8 1/2 inches in diameter and about 10 1/2 inches high. Just keep in mind that the larger the diameter, the greater the force required to press the wax. A 12 inch diameter cylinder would require double the force to achieve the same pressing pressure.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2022, 01:29:09 pm »
Bill what are your needs in accordance to the volume of wax which you will be pressing?

Phillip

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2022, 03:30:12 pm »
last year I had 140 lbs of finished rendered wax. from cappings. I normally let those cappings drain for a day in capping trays. then the cappings are washed and rendered. My thought was to press the cappings then render.(cut out the rinsing part) Also all the slumgum can then be pressed also. Then if Im feeling overly ambitious I would make another for old wax, and the slumgum.

One thing about my conversion from 10 frame supers to 8 frame, as more supers go to 8 frame I have seen a consistent drop in finished wax. Also add to this my daughter does the uncapping by hand and she has also gotten better at it so that might have to do with the drop also.