Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold prospecting using a metal detector  (Read 38955 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2022, 11:46:25 am »
Our dimes use to be solid silver but now there is copper between the two surfaces.

According to the same sources, US dimes were never solid silver, but were 90% silver and 10% copper, and are now 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel.

Reagan, I was very careful to choose the word 'solid' as a description of what I perceived would be understood; A 'solid' piece no matter the actual percentage of silver, which was in fact a remarkable 90 percent in our old American dimes. A 'solid' piece from nine-tenths silver mix. The American 'silver dime' was considered and accepted to be 'a silver dime' during the time they were minted for circulation in America through 1964. Though these dimes were not 'pure' silver, nor were they '100' percent silver, they were a '90' 'percent' silver minted 'solid piece' from that 90 percent silver mixture.

Our silver dimes, 'were' that 'solid' piece of 90 percent silver though 1964, and accepted by all 'as silver coins', described by our government as being silver coins. In 1965 this forever changed, Copper was added to the 'center' of the dime between the two outer silver surfaces which was distinctly visible. After 1971 Im not sure that any silver is contained even in a dime. Wikipedia states there is no silver in United States half dollars after 1971 and I had no interest in digging futher. lol

Phillip

Wikipedia,
United States
Silver coin

"US dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollars were minted in 90% silver until 1964. Produced to save nickel for the war effort, war nickels 1942-1945 are 35% silver (silver nickel production started part way into 1942). Half-dollar coins minted between 1965 and 1970 are 40% silver, but from 1971 on, contain no silver."

"After silver was removed from US circulating coins the US Mint made special commemorative coins minted for sale to coin collectors and, starting in 1986, bullion coins primarily sold to investors. Both types, although legal tender, are not expected to circulate for commerce."
Oh, I didn't know that "solid" and "pure" were not interchangeable when discussing precious metals.  People often (incorrectly) use the terms interchangeably.  That's good to know. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2022, 01:44:02 pm »

sol?id

/ˈs?ləd/
 Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All
Chemistry
Geometry
Printing
adjective
firm and stable in shape; not liquid or fluid.

pure
/pyo͝or/
 Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All
Music
Phonetics
adjective
not mixed or adulterated with any other substance or material.

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2022, 11:13:14 pm »
Here?s a pic of a one cent piece that I found on the beach this afternoon with a detector. Pretty ?toasty? with nothing much left.  These coins are no longer in circulation. The first of these coins was made in 1966. Just a bit of fun late in the afternoon.

Cheers

Les

Les I am enjoying your updates of your gold findings and prospecting.

What are your old Australian one cent pieces made of?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2022, 11:35:02 pm »
Hi Phillip. 1 and 2 cent coins were 97% copper. They came into circulation in 1966 and ceased to be used as currency in 1992. I went for a beach detecting session this morning to a quiet location and found some of these coins. Will post a pic when I clean them up in a mild acid solution. The copper coins are eaten away but a few silvers may come up OK. Just a bit of fun for an hour on a quiet local beach.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2022, 06:15:51 pm »
Yesterdays finds on a quiet beach.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2022, 06:50:33 pm »
Yesterdays finds on a quiet beach.

That's so cool!  What's that spherical thing in the middle?  Also, my mom wants to know: What is the best thing you've ever found?  Either the most interesting thing, or something with great monetary value. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2022, 06:52:40 pm »
Les you found a Hot Spot!  👍🏻

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2022, 12:42:17 am »
Hi guys. The spherical band is actually a copper band that a lot of old timers wear as they think the copper is good for arthritis. I haven?t found much of value as I don?t do this very often. I can?t get out into the bush at the moment as the ground is very wet. I just did some beach detecting for a bit of fun with my daughter and the grandkids over Easter. I went out again this morning and had some more fun. I found enough to buy a cup of coffee. (It?s just the thrill of the hunt) Next time I?m out, I?ll take some shots of the beach that I?m detecting.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2022, 12:44:32 am »
Hi guys. The spherical band is actually a copper band that a lot of old timers wear as they think the copper is good for arthritis.

When I was small we had an old country store owner which wore a copper band for the same reason.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2022, 01:25:41 am »
I often wonder if there was anything to it or was it just a placebo effect?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2022, 06:14:30 am »
Good Question Les. I wonder too...

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2022, 11:09:40 am »

Phillip
I don't believe science has ever established any link between arthritis relief and copper bands. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2022, 04:07:10 pm »

Phillip
I don't believe science has ever established any link between arthritis relief and copper bands.

Thanks Reagan, Not intended to dispute you but add more information.  I don't believe science has established their is not a link between arthritis and copper bands either? Actually (Maybe) more so than not?

Since copper bands and bracelets have been in use for many many years and handed down as help from generation to generation world wide, I chose to dig a little deeper. It seems science does not totally agree on this matter. As we know Copper as well as Zinc are added to some modern vitamins as well as varying minerals for reasons established as needed for the betterment of the human body. (what these needs are, I confess I do not know lol)  I suppose we really do not know for sure either way concerning copper bands used as a gateway through the skin, entering our body for the aid of arthritis. If we look at both sides of the science open mindedly, we will find scientific study has something positive to offer about this matter.

For example..

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/961545/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 04:38:57 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2022, 07:24:36 pm »
My son Wesley used to wear them. He read it would reduce his pain. It worked for a couple of days, physically, and it then it didn?t help. He doesn?t wear them anymore.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2022, 07:30:47 pm »
My son Wesley used to wear them. He read it would reduce his pain. It worked for a couple of days, physically, and it then it didn?t help. He doesn?t wear them anymore.
Jim Altmiller

Strike One per Beemaster our family experience...    :grin:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2022, 07:33:22 pm »
Thanks Reagan, Not intended to dispute you but add more information.  I don't believe science has established their is not a link between arthritis and copper bands either? Actually (Maybe) more so than not?

Since copper bands and bracelets have been in use for many many years and handed down as help from generation to generation world wide, I chose to dig a little deeper. It seems science does not totally agree on this matter. As we know Copper as well as Zinc are added to some modern vitamins as well as varying minerals for reasons established as needed for the betterment of the human body. (what these needs are, I confess I do not know lol)  I suppose we really do not know for sure either way concerning copper bands used as a gateway through the skin, entering our body for the aid of arthritis. If we look at both sides of the science open mindedly, we will find scientific study has something positive to offer about this matter.

For example..

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/961545/
That's an interesting find, Phillip, but I did notice that study is from 1976, and more recent studies have failed to generate similar results.  If it does have benefits for some people, I'd guess it to be placebo effect, or perhaps it only benefits people with certain skin chemistry, or something like that. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2022, 08:44:30 pm »
I'd guess it to be placebo effect, or perhaps it only benefits people with certain skin chemistry, or something like that.

The study did specify that some in the study was given placebo bracelets and others copper. Ones given the real copper bracelets were the benefactors of progress.

The study also pointed out sweat as being a factor in results shown. Folks seemed to be more activate back in the 1970s and sweating was common. lol  But really, who knows? 🤷‍♂️ By your report it does not look good for copper.😊

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2022, 02:51:21 pm »
Les when I first started watching this fellow Jeff Williams, his channel was called old ghost towns or something similar. He would hunt for gold and come up with flakes similar to yours. But he has gradually evolved  to this place where he is actually mining. It has been an interesting journey watching him through the past few years and see his success as shown in this video. He is a real cut up and a hoot! Maybe you will enjoy the video and the results made.

Phillip

https://youtu.be/JtDIzXSd4EU

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2022, 06:22:23 pm »
I?ve watched a few of his clips. He?s a bit of a character who finds some nice gold.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2022, 01:04:03 am »
Went to a quiet beach yesterday and did quite well. No older coins but quite a good haul of loose change. Snagged heaps of fishing sinkers as well. I will Melt them down and cast deep water sinkers for my fishing trips.