Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold prospecting using a metal detector  (Read 38942 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2022, 08:07:10 pm »
Hi Member. The borax melts to a sort of liquid glass and acts as a flux. It dissolves impurities in the gold and therefore makes the gold quite clean. The molten gold nuggets can then join each other and form into one solid piece. The molten borax containing the impurities, floats on top of the gold and cracks when the button of gold is tipped into water. It can then be chipped away or dissolved in acid.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2022, 08:44:50 pm »
Hi Member. The borax melts to a sort of liquid glass and acts as a flux. It dissolves impurities in the gold and therefore makes the gold quite clean. The molten gold nuggets can then join each other and form into one solid piece. The molten borax containing the impurities, floats on top of the gold and cracks when the button of gold is tipped into water. It can then be chipped away or dissolved in acid.
Oh, I understand now.  Thanks for explaining it.  This whole thing is just so interesting. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2022, 10:09:04 pm »
Les,
If I melt down 14 carat gold, does the borax help remove some of the impurities and raise the percentage of gold?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2022, 11:37:29 pm »
Hi Jim. No it doesn?t. Borax is purely a flux or cleaning agent. The goLd that you are talking about would have some silver alloyed with it. This will make the gold a little harder and more suitable for jewellery. Pure gold is very soft.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2022, 09:35:02 pm »
I folks.

I just melted down four of those little buttons of gold and made a 40 gram ingot. The gold could have been a little hotter and the mold a bit warmer but it turned out OK. It will look better once it has been cleaned in acid.

Cheers

Les

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2022, 09:57:24 pm »
I folks.

I just melted down four of those little buttons of gold and made a 40 gram ingot. The gold could have been a little hotter and the mold a bit warmer but it turned out OK. It will look better once it has been cleaned in acid.

Cheers

Les
It's beautiful!  Would you mind taking a picture of it with something so we can have a size reference for how big it is? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2022, 10:22:00 pm »

Hi Jim. No it doesn?t. Borax is purely a flux or cleaning agent. The goLd that you are talking about would have some silver alloyed with it. This will make the gold a little harder and more suitable for jewellery. Pure gold is very soft.

I do not know much about gold. This conversation has stimulated more interest. Considering the newer, bigger piece of 98% pure gold weighing 40 grams and 40 grams is close to one and one half ounces; How much silver by weight would need to be added to bring it to 14 carat jewelers gold? 

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2022, 10:56:45 pm »
I do not know much about gold. This conversation has stimulated more interest. Considering the newer, bigger piece of 98% pure gold weighing 40 grams and 40 grams is close to one and one half ounces; How much silver by weight would need to be added to bring it to 14 carat jewelers gold? 

Phillip
According to my research and personal knowledge from purchasing and owning jewelry, most gold jewelry isn't only alloyed with silver.  14 karat gold is usually 58.5% gold and roughly 25% silver and 17% copper.  Other metals/different amounts of metals can also be added to make different colors of gold, like rose gold or white gold.  I'm struggling a little with the math, but those are your known values.  It's one of those percentage word problems that I was never good at in school.  :oops:  With the help of a white board, I think it'd be 17.2g/.61 oz. of silver, and 11.7g/.41 oz. of copper, but someone should probably check my work.  :wink:  I also did all that assuming the gold was pure, so it's not totally accurate even if my math is right, but it should give you some idea anyway.     

Jewelry is also commonly made from 18kt gold, which is 75% gold, 12.5% silver, and 12.5% copper.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:08:20 pm by The15thMember »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2022, 11:07:46 pm »
Thanks Reagan ✔️

My question sort of stemmed from your question of the size of Les new gold piece and I was wondering how much bigger it would be in size if it was converted into jewelers gold. (Back in the Eighties Gold nugget necklace jewelry was sort of in fashion). Mr Tee! lol

Your reply has shined more light of education, as I have wondered where rose colored gold came from.
As I said earlier I know little about gold. I really thought that rose color gold was found in nature! lol  :cheesy:

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2022, 11:11:17 pm »
In 2019, one of my daughters got married. I gave them some of my gold nuggets so they could get wedding rings made. They took the gold nuggets to a jeweller who alloyed the gold with silver, copper a d palladium in the appropriate proportions to make 18 karat rings. My daughters ring was rose gold (a higher copper content) and my son in laws ring was white gold (palladium added).

I?ll post a pic of the gold ingot next to a coin later today. I just want to recast the gold and clean it up a bit in acid.

Cheers

Les

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2022, 11:16:51 pm »
Thanks Les and Reagan, for the educational comments. Les the use of your gold for their rings, I feel sure, hold a much more higher sentimental value for your kids rings than bought ones! Good job!

Phillip

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2022, 12:07:07 am »
In 2019, one of my daughters got married. I gave them some of my gold nuggets so they could get wedding rings made. They took the gold nuggets to a jeweller who alloyed the gold with silver, copper a d palladium in the appropriate proportions to make 18 karat rings. My daughters ring was rose gold (a higher copper content) and my son in laws ring was white gold (palladium added).

I?ll post a pic of the gold ingot next to a coin later today. I just want to recast the gold and clean it up a bit in acid.

Cheers

Les
That is amazing!!  That twisted ring is so beautiful! 

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2022, 02:05:31 am »
Here is an updated photo of the ingot next to an Aussie 5 cent piece (just slightly larger than a dime)

Cheers

Les

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2022, 11:33:21 am »
Here is an updated photo of the ingot next to an Aussie 5 cent piece (just slightly larger than a dime)

Cheers

Les
Wow, it's so shiny now!  This whole thing is just so ultra cool.  I know I keep saying that, but I just can't get over it.  :cool:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2022, 10:51:52 pm »
Les is that dime solid silver? Our dimes use to be solid silver but now there is copper between the two surfaces.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2022, 11:02:26 pm »
Les is that dime solid silver? Our dimes use to be solid silver but now there is copper between the two surfaces.
According to my sources (Wikipedia), Australian 5 cent pieces are 75% copper and 25% nickel, and they always have been (although they've only been in circulation since 1966).  They also have an echidna on the reverse side, which is super awesome.   

According to the same sources, US dimes were never solid silver, but were 90% silver and 10% copper, and are now 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2022, 12:37:07 am »
Our dimes use to be solid silver but now there is copper between the two surfaces.

According to the same sources, US dimes were never solid silver, but were 90% silver and 10% copper, and are now 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel.

Reagan, I was very careful to choose the word 'solid' as a description of what I perceived would be understood; A 'solid' piece no matter the actual percentage of silver, which was in fact a remarkable 90 percent in our old American dimes. A 'solid' piece from nine-tenths silver mix. The American 'silver dime' was considered and accepted to be 'a silver dime' during the time they were minted for circulation in America through 1964. Though these dimes were not 'pure' silver, nor were they '100' percent silver, they were a '90' 'percent' silver minted 'solid piece' from that 90 percent silver mixture.

Our silver dimes, 'were' that 'solid' piece of 90 percent silver though 1964, and accepted by all 'as silver coins', described by our government as being silver coins. In 1965 this forever changed, Copper was added to the 'center' of the dime between the two outer silver surfaces which was distinctly visible. After 1971 Im not sure that any silver is contained even in a dime. Wikipedia states there is no silver in United States half dollars after 1971 and I had no interest in digging futher. lol

Phillip

Wikipedia,
United States
Silver coin

"US dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollars were minted in 90% silver until 1964. Produced to save nickel for the war effort, war nickels 1942-1945 are 35% silver (silver nickel production started part way into 1942). Half-dollar coins minted between 1965 and 1970 are 40% silver, but from 1971 on, contain no silver."

"After silver was removed from US circulating coins the US Mint made special commemorative coins minted for sale to coin collectors and, starting in 1986, bullion coins primarily sold to investors. Both types, although legal tender, are not expected to circulate for commerce."

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 08:32:02 am by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2022, 12:49:59 am »
Considering the above, I will rephrase the question;
Les I am 'still' curious. Are your Australian dimes made of a 'solid' piece of mostly silver, any silver? Or do they have copper visibly seen form the edge with copper in the middle?  :wink:
 lol  :grin:

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2022, 04:23:31 am »
Hi guys. The coins are just an alloy of copper and nickel. Some of our earlier coins were either copper or contained a high silver content. Obviously cost prevents this from occurring with modern coils.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2022, 04:33:26 am »
Here?s a pic of a one cent piece that I found on the beach this afternoon with a detector. Pretty ?toasty? with nothing much left.  These coins are no longer in circulation. The first of these coins was made in 1966. Just a bit of fun late in the afternoon.

Cheers

Les