Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold prospecting using a metal detector  (Read 38949 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2023, 12:42:36 pm »
That's amazing, Les!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2023, 04:45:13 pm »
Thanks Reagan. It was a bit of fun one afternoon when I had nothing better to do. I?ll put this aside so that it can be made into jewellery in the future.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2023, 05:51:21 pm »
Another day out in the bush with a mate. After detecting for most of the day and walking for hours, we ended up finding four pieces of gold within four steps of the car.

salvo

« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2023, 12:05:52 pm »
Hi Folks,

Anybody posted this here yet?

A gold digger from Australia recently hit gold (no pun intended) when his budget metal detector found a rock weighing 4.6kg, which had a gold valuation of A$240,000 ($162k USD). The man- who didn't want to be named for obvious reasons- made this incredible discovery in the goldfields of Victoria.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/amateur-gold-digger-finds-massive-nugget-worth-over-160-000/ar-AA19trwN?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cec8b5941b284c2bbb68a9d491c107ed&ei=12

Sal

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2023, 12:15:14 pm »
:shocked:  First I've heard of it Sal. Good post and congratulation to the fellow who found it!  :wink: And His Wife
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2023, 08:43:24 am »
Hi Folks,

Anybody posted this here yet?

A gold digger from Australia recently hit gold (no pun intended) when his budget metal detector found a rock weighing 4.6kg, which had a gold valuation of A$240,000 ($162k USD). The man- who didn't want to be named for obvious reasons- made this incredible discovery in the goldfields of Victoria.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/amateur-gold-digger-finds-massive-nugget-worth-over-160-000/ar-AA19trwN?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cec8b5941b284c2bbb68a9d491c107ed&ei=12

Sal

To Lesgold,
 I can not think of anyone I would like to see, find such a thing as you Les!  Who knows, keep looking and perhaps the same good thing, or even something better will happen for you!

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

salvo

« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2023, 02:52:28 pm »
Hey Ben.

I think it was Les who found that nugget!

He's layin' low. Keepin' the site secret.

Sal

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2023, 06:48:18 pm »
Hey Ben.

I think it was Les who found that nugget!

He's layin' low. Keepin' the site secret.

Sal

Stranger things have happened! You can never tell! 😁

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2023, 05:55:15 pm »
Would have been nice but my gold has been limited to the small pieces left behind by others. Had a pleasant day out about a week ago and added to my small scrap pile.

salvo

« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2023, 07:59:17 pm »
Hi Les,

What you found beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, and you had a good day to boot!

Sal

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2023, 10:05:21 pm »
No complaints here Sal. Beekeeping and prospecting are a golden combination.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2023, 01:28:18 am »
Good find Les.. I enjoy viewing your finds and hearing of the adventures. :-)

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2023, 11:28:11 pm »
It?s been a while since I?ve been out for a play with the detector. Our trip took us to Marble Bar in Western Australia which was an old mining town. Got the machine cranked up yesterday and was lucky enough to find a few pieces. Today I focussed on an area that contained a few quartz outcrops. You may be able to see it in the first photo. The area was worked thoroughly by the old times and recently by people with detectors. I was lucky enough to have some fun and find a few pieces for my effort. Would have liked to have explored the area in more detail but the trip must continue.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2023, 06:31:38 am »
Mabye you should change your handle from "lesgold" to "morgold"...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2023, 03:04:10 am »
Needed a break from weeding gardens and preparing honey stuff for the markets so a mate and I went bush for the morning. It?s good to still be able to find a bit of gold close to home.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2023, 12:07:38 pm »
Next month I'm going up in the mountains to a known gold area.  I hope to do a bit of panning.  I really hope to be able to post pictures like yours!!   :grin:

What do you do with your bits?  Are they worth selling or do you do it just for fun?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2023, 03:25:36 pm »
Good luck Kathy. Make sure that you post what you find. Panning is a lot of fun (and hard work) I have sold some gold in the past but I keep most of it as a long term investment. As an example, the gold on the coin in that last photo has a value of around $100 Australian.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #177 on: August 25, 2023, 04:41:54 pm »
Adds up...

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2023, 03:49:36 am »
My detecting buddy and I hit a spot where the old timers mined over a hundred years ago. We worked hard for quite a few pieces of junk and a few little pickers. The larger one was hidden in a small rock. It was obvious why it was missed in the past. A bit of a soak in acid over night and the nugget started to reveal its beautiful shine.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2023, 10:55:35 am »
Ok, officially jealous.  I went panning while in CA and spent so much time in the river my feet were numb.  I found ONE flake.   :grin:

Granted, I took the easy route to the river and that area was probably well panned out.  People had dug up the dry bank so I went out into the river for the big rocks hoping others had not been so bold (stupid).

ONE FLAKE after the winter they had. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything