Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Insulated hive lid  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Insulated hive lid
« on: December 08, 2023, 09:37:53 pm »
One issue with long hives is less air circulation. At least it seems so to me. There is little draft, and my hives are 4 feet long, so I have always questioned whether air flow horizontally past 30 deep frames is efficient.
With Layens hives the box is taller and there is more space under the frames, but many Layens beeks add insulation to their lids.
Does anyone else do this?

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Insulated hive lid
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 11:00:55 pm »
I had a couple of top bar hives many years ago where I insulated the lid. As you would expect, it kept the hive warmer in winter and cooler in summer. For ventilation I added a screened bottom and a series of hinged wooden bottoms that could be partially opened, fully opened or closed according to the strength of the hive and seasonal weather conditions. It seemed to work quite well. I tended to leave the bottom doors open for most of the summer.

Offline tigger19687

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 10:04:56 am »
One issue with long hives is less air circulation. At least it seems so to me. There is little draft, and my hives are 4 feet long, so I have always questioned whether air flow horizontally past 30 deep frames is efficient.
With Layens hives the box is taller and there is more space under the frames, but many Layens beeks add insulation to their lids.
Does anyone else do this?

So how did it work out this Winter for you?
And how much space below the bottom of the frames do you have?  And any space Over the frames or do you use cloth on top of frames ?

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 10:46:48 pm »
I had a long hive once upon a time.  It had a double screen bottom board with an oil pan loaded from each end, I loved that arrangement year around no problem in NE tx.  i FOUND THESE TYPES OF HIVES ARE TOO HARD TO MOVE.  When I did have to move a top bar or long lang type I turned it upside down, never a problem.

Offline tigger19687

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 10:30:13 am »
  i FOUND THESE TYPES OF HIVES ARE TOO HARD TO MOVE.  When I did have to move a top bar or long lang type I turned it upside down, never a problem.
Usually these hives are made so they are not the kind you actually move around.  You can , just take frames out and put in smaller boxes, move the Long hive and put the frames back in Bees and all.

I don't understand what you are saying in the last sentence.

anything