Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: a tale worthy of saltybluegrass  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
a tale worthy of saltybluegrass
« on: March 06, 2020, 11:59:22 pm »
I remember a thread where Saltyblugrass wrote about running around being chased by bees, and another where he wore shorts and got stung in an umentionable place...
Recently, I had to split a hive, and the bees were not very happy about it.
So, today i went just to peek at the front of the hives, and a bee begins harrasing me around the head, so I duck away and swat at the bee.
That agravating bee got swatted right in my ear canal and got trapped there! I'm not sure if it stung me or I damaged my own self, because I was whacking at my ear like a maniac. I knocked my good glasses off my head onto the concrete floor. The trapped bee sounded like an angry B52 bomber in my ear, and I was dancing about, half the time yelling out loud and the other half whimpering like a little baby. It was not my best moment.
Beekeeping is not for the faint of heart.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: a tale worthy of saltybluegrass
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 08:53:59 pm »
 :smile:Thanks, Bob, I needed that.  :smile:
Neill

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 09:41:20 pm »
Bob, I have had bugs in my ear twice in my life.  Both times a knat, nothing compared to a bee.  I keep an ear flusher in bathroom always.  Even a lil knat drove me batty, I can?t imagine what you went through.

If you have a concern of another ordeal with your ear, and who wouldn?t, put cotton in your ears when going outside.  I say cotton, however any type ear plug will work and do away with the fear of the bug in the ear. 
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 10:31:25 pm »
Bob,
During my first year of beekeeping, I had a bee walk up the back of my neck, over to my right ear in it, came out went on top of my head, down my face, over my nose, and on my top lip. That was all I could take and I blasted her with my strongest puff of air to get her off my lip. Back then it was a big deal. Now I don?t even pay attention to them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 03:02:06 am »
Related question:  i wear hearing aids and one benefit is that bees  cannot get deep, but I have wondered if the feedback from the electronics of the hearing aids somehow attracts bees.  I have had bees crawl all around my ears, seeming to want into the ear canal, which is blocked by the hearing aid, and then stinging on the ear lobe or elsewhere on the ear.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Btw, I have had almost no discomfort as a resulat of a sting on the ear.  I suspect a sting deeper in the ear canal might have resulted in greater discomfort.  Honeybees must have a direct line to our pain receptors in order to get maximum effect from their kamikazi attacks.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 03:56:21 am »
Dallas, I do not wear hearing aids so I can not answer your question but I did have a bee enter my ear canal last weekend. Remarkably, I did not get stung there but I did later take a sting to the nostril area. An ear sting was not so much my concern, I was more apprehensive of getting stung in the eardrum itself. I was thinking, "what damage would a bee sting do to my eardrum", I was dreading having to have to find out. Thankfully that did not happen. I tried to calmly enter back into my home where my family did actually see the bee when she came out. What a relief. I am wondering if anyone here has been stung in the eardrum itself. I have watched a video where a doctor removed a stinger form an eyeball. HP once told here, that he received a sting into the eyeball. I do not mind so much getting stung as that is just part of beekeeping.  However, the eardrum and eyeball area is my concern and has reinforced the idea of wearing my veil. lol 😊

Phillip

.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 06:46:00 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 07:32:54 am »
Phillip,
I have never heard of anyone ever getting stung on the ear drum probably because, for most people, a bee would have to back into your ear canal to bee able to sting the ear drum. Bees do not back into holes, except for the queen of course. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 08:05:50 am »
Phillip,
I have never heard of anyone ever getting stung on the ear drum probably because, for most people, a bee would have to back into your ear canal to bee able to sting the ear drum. Bees do not back into holes, except for the queen of course. 😊
Jim Altmiller

That makes perfect scene, and may be so. But when one is in your ear canal,  she makes
Sounds that seem to indicate she may be a contortionist, doing cartwheels inside that canal! lol
😁,
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 07:18:28 pm »
Bob,
During my first year of beekeeping, I had a bee walk up the back of my neck, over to my right ear in it, came out went on top of my head, down my face, over my nose, and on my top lip. That was all I could take and I blasted her with my strongest puff of air to get her off my lip. Back then it was a big deal. Now I don?t even pay attention to them.
Jim Altmiller

If a bee went in one of my ears it would have free passage to the other side.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline ifixoldhouses

• House Bee
  • 2nd year bkpr 14 hives
    • BackyardBeesNC.com
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 09:46:41 pm »
I had one get inside my ear last Fall, I ran all over the yard with other bees chasing me, trying to get that bee out, it didn't sting me, just came out and flew off I guess. :grin:
BackyardBeesNC.com

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 08:24:10 am »
I laughed out loud at some of the responses.
Thank you all for that, bob good luck

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 07:40:06 am »
My solution was to drown it in olive oil.  There seemed no way to get it out without getting stung.  But it worked and I didn't get stung.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 04:47:20 pm »
Bob your story gave me a good laugh, especially when I got to the part about not sure if you got stung or injured yourself, I've done that more than once haha!
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24