Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey - it's not just for breakfast anymore...  (Read 5148 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Honey - it's not just for breakfast anymore...
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 12:58:42 pm »
Thanks me too! Both of those products sound awesome. I've been collecting propolis to make salves and tinctures. I'll have a go at it one of these days.
Here's my thread about the sunburn ointment, if you'd like to take a look at it.
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=55224.0

I'll try and remember to post about the propolis salve too, it's really very simple to make. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 01:17:07 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 11:36:10 am »
Here's my thread about the sunburn ointment, if you'd like to take a look at it.
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=55224.0

I'll try and remember to post about the propolis salve too, it's really very simple to make.
So cool, thanks for sharing!
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2023, 11:43:02 am »

I would like that one also Reagan, at your convenience.. Thanks.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2023, 01:45:51 pm »
Here's the link to my propolis thread, in case anyone now or in the future is looking for it.  https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=56180.0
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CLSranch

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2024, 03:48:47 pm »
I often use honey for deep or unhealing cuts/sores etc...  My mom got the tip of her finger bit off and after the Dr. recommended things didn't work used honey and gauze.  Healed right up.  I've given some (not mine, store bought) to a neighbors kid who had a hole in his leg that wouldn't heal after months had actually got worse than the original wound.  A week of honey it made tremendous improvement.  I haven't used propolis other than chewing some that was caked up and needed scraped, just for fun, no real need.

I'm not starting a new thread for that comment.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2024, 04:08:01 pm »
CLS Thanks for your reply. Those examples you gave sound promising. 

PS; I just have to ask. What bit the end of your Mothers finger?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2024, 06:02:47 pm »
As most everyone knows, honey is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. So it stands to reason that it has many more uses than being great on biscuits and toast or in coffee and tea. I have heard that it also has many medical benefits, but had never personally experienced any until this week.

During a tree hive removal, I accidentally burned the tip of one of my fingers on my smoker this past weekend, not just once, but twice. Long story, but it happened because I let someone borrow my good gloves, so I was using an old pair with a hole in the end of one finger. (not thinking, I grabbed the smoker with that hand during a crazy moment with the tree coming down)

Anyway, it burned pretty good . . . down to the second layer and made a fairly nice blister - about the size of a dime. The skin came off before the job was over, so I covered the hole in the glove with tape and finished the job. 

Burns were one of the things I had heard that honey helps with, so that night after a shower I thought I'd give it a try. I put some honey on the burn spot then put a water proof band-aid over everything to seal it closed. I mainly just wanted to see how well it would work.

That was Sunday night and I was able to leave it bandaged all day Monday. When I took the band-aid off after a shower Monday night, it looked a bit waterlogged, so I decided to clean it good with just soapy water then to re-apply a bit more honey, but this time used a regular band-aid (not water proof) so that it could breathe a little.

That bandage stayed on that night and all day yesterday. So last night I removed it before taking a shower and noticed a vast improvement. After my shower there was a little loose skin from the blister, so I trimmed it carefully away with a razor blade and put another drop of honey on the area. This time, leaving it open - no band-aid.

Today the burn is nearly completely healed. I'd say at least 98%! I've had my fair share of burns before and normally one as severe as this one will take at least a week to heal, sometime longer.

I'm confident that it was the honey that helped with the speedy healing process. I'm not saying to throw away all of your other meds, but putting a little honey on a nasty little burn dang sure did the trick for me. :)

I'm just curious if any others have had similar experiences or what other honey related medical stories folks may have to share?

I have a number of horse people buying our honey.
They use it on open wounds. It works on people and it works on animals.

Offline CLSranch

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2024, 07:28:33 am »
@Ben Framed.  A horse, hand feeding it and not paying attention.  It was over before either knew it.

anything