Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wheel Bugs and Bees Video  (Read 6058 times)

Offline acbs

• House Bee
Wheel Bugs and Bees Video
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:49:16 pm »
Another unexpected bee predator.  Was going to feed bees at one of our beeyards and saw these feeding on our feeding bees.  Can't believe how easy it is for other insects to eat bees.  The one bee didn't even get upset when the wheel bug reached out and touched her eye.  These bugs just suck the life out of their victims.  Something in their bite must paralyze cause there is little movement in their victims.  Compare this with the movement of the bee the mantis caught.  I had over 12 minutes of video for this one.  Wish I could have uploaded all of it.  They are amazing creatures to watch.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions on how to upload these videos with a higher resolution I would welcome any advice.

Two links, one on Zunibee, other on YouTube.

http://www.zunibee.com/community/viewVideo.php?fileID=63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbP_aln3YlI

Arvin
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Wheel Bugs and Bees Video
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:19:43 pm »
Arvin, you are doing some wonderful videography.  It must be difficult to ascertain which parts to edit out to make the video the right length for viewers to stay interested.  I think that the time is a perfect length, and you have shown very good information.  Thank you for taking this time to bring us into your part of this world.  It is interesting how the bees appeared to have no struggle at all, paralyzed I am sure, as you say.  Beautiful.  Have a wonderful and great day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Beeunique1953

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:05:24 pm »
So how do we get rid of them. I have 3 hives and every day I would squash up to 7 wheel bugs each had a bee. Oh dear my poor girls.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:26:23 am »
hi
My first post.
     cind of sort of, looks like blister Beatles. as a kid i stepped on one barefoot, Wasn't nice! while it didn't hurt at all the treatment was horrific. a large water blister covered half my foot. down here when one steps on them, with shoes, they smell like butter to me. i never eat any more. SICKENING to me.

DON'T TOCHE THOSE BUGS WITH BARE HANDS

JAY