Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any deer hunters?  (Read 8436 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Any deer hunters?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 02:16:21 pm »
My wife has a Prius now that looks just like that one.  So I sent her the picture of the deer on the Prius .  She is adamant that I don't get blood all over her car...  I'm trying to find another Gen 1 Prius to fix up.  I guess then I'll have two Prii...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 09:28:38 pm »
You know...
Those Prius aren't so bad...

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 11:13:29 pm »
When they came out, I really figured the batteries would only last 5 years at best and the car would be scrap. A year ago my buddy was buying and selling old used ones and it was working pretty well. I bought a 2014 model last year for my wife last when she totaled her VW.
It averages 50 miles to the gallon and is a really nice car.
I would recommend them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 12:57:03 pm »
Saw,
I agree, they are great, but expensive.
I bought one a few years ago while one of my kids was on a traveling baseball team.  We got it up to 100+ on I-75 in Tennessee.  Great mileage and handling.  Lots of space for a driver.  I would recommend. 

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 04:15:14 pm »
That is a nice buck JT. Congratulations.
Jim Altmiller
thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 05:50:55 pm »
>I agree, they are great, but expensive.

When they came out I said I'd wait until I could get a used one cheap.  I paid $1200 for mine and then spent $2000 for a new warrantied modern style battery for the old style Prius (Gen 1).  So I've got $3200 in it.  It's been a pleasure.  Especially when buying gas.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 09:18:16 pm »

When they came out I said I'd wait until I could get a used one cheap.  I paid $1200 for mine and then spent $2000 for a new warrantied modern style battery for the old style Prius (Gen 1).  So I've got $3200 in it.  It's been a pleasure.  Especially when buying gas.
Heh, usually can fill up the tank for under $20.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 09:13:49 pm »

Heh, usually can fill up the tank for under $20.
Jim Altmiller

Fellows, y'all are making me want a Prius!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 08:37:08 am »
The Ruger #1 .45-70-730 did its job yesterday morning.  I spent the rest of the day butchering.  I'm exhausted.  I still have two permits left.  My son also has two permits and my grandson has a permit...
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 10:55:39 pm »
The Ruger #1 .45-70-730 did its job yesterday morning.  I spent the rest of the day butchering.  I'm exhausted.  I still have two permits left.  My son also has two permits and my grandson has a permit...

Congrats Mr Bush. the ruger #1 .45-70-730 is a nice rifle and a real meat getter.  Man, I do not envy the butchering part. Real work! But the eating part is awesome!  I wonder if game hind quarters can be smoked like pork. Actually  we sugar cured our hams when I was growing up.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2019, 12:39:30 am »
Congratulations Michael.
Enjoy.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2019, 07:41:46 am »
>Congrats Mr Bush. the ruger #1 .45-70-730 is a nice rifle and a real meat getter.

This one is special.  It has a fast 1 in 12 twist instead of the usual 1-20 or slower twist.  so I can stabilize the 730 grain bullet.  I have that going about 760 fps which means it doesn't carry far and isn't very loud (subsonic).  It still makes a boom, but it gets rid of that "crack" when the sound barrier gets broken.  Back in Wyoming and Western Nebraska I loved my .25-06 but it would carry for miles and that isn't such a good thing here where the people are more dense.  Out there the shots were often pretty long.

> Man, I do not envy the butchering part. Real work! But the eating part is awesome!

Yes it is.

> I wonder if game hind quarters can be smoked like pork. Actually  we sugar cured our hams when I was growing up.

Curing is more complex than just smoking, of course.  I don't know what would happen if you cured it.  I imagine it would keep if you did it the same as a ham, but I have no idea what it would taste like.  Probably pretty good, but then it might be too dry.  There is a LOT more fat in a pig than a deer and that tends to keep it somewhat moist.  I have cut it all up into thin steaks and dried and smoked it.  Then I would take it on hunting trips and eat it for jerky or soak it up and fry it for steak or break it up and put it in stew...  I would have done that this time if I had the energy and the time.
-------------------

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2019, 08:10:21 am »
The Ruger #1 also has an octagon 20" barrel which on a single shot seems really short.  It's very handy.
-------------------

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2019, 08:04:47 am »
well done ,  hope your son and grandson get theirs also

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 10:53:41 am »
Well, early firearms season is over and we didn't get another deer.  I have a permit that's good for archery, muzzle loader and late firearms season.  We will see.  I may have to go looking for my bow.  I haven't seen it in a while...  Maybe I need to get a muzzle loader, but I can't say I've been that enamored with black powder... it's a pain.
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 01:23:24 pm »
Mr Bush I use to hunt with a Thompson Center Hawkins style rifle that I loved.  It packs  a punch and accuracy to boot 🥾.
Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2019, 02:23:25 pm »
I was contemplating getting a Thompson Center Encore pistol and then a muzzle loader barrel and maybe some other barrels eventually.  I am fond of single shot rifles and pistols.
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 02:39:40 pm »
When I bought mine I also bought a maxi ball mold. The accuracy is more than acceptable. Though I haven?t shot it in years.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2019, 06:17:22 pm »
All I shoot is muzzleloader, have a lhr redemption and it?s amazing, switched to blackhorn 209 and it is night and day difference

anything