Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold prospecting using a metal detector  (Read 50471 times)

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Reply #220 on: November 15, 2023, 08:24:43 am »

30 seconds
https://youtu.be/rY-XDQN6ipE?si=4e6_gR0IsGWoCVpF

:wink: :cheesy:
That sounds like Burl Ives singing that. I wore one of his records out when I was a little nipper. That video brings back old memories of much better days.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #221 on: November 15, 2023, 03:49:57 pm »
Hi Phillip

There are plenty of good machines out there that will do a good job. I use Minelab machines as they make the best gold detectors for Australian conditions and they are very good in relation to warranty and service. For treasure detecting I also use the same brand. I currently have A Manticore and an Equinox 800. They both do a good job. I have not used the Manticore all that often yet as I only just purchased it. From all reports, it is an excellent machine. Having access to good areas to detect is the biggest problem. If you can get to old house sites etc, you could find some very interesting relics.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2023, 03:52:19 pm »
As always, thanks Les and keep the good gold post coming! !
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2023, 10:00:16 pm »
Been kinda lurking on this thread because I thought it was a cool activity .. get some exercise with a bonus of a little bit of glitter  :cool:

Just looked up your 10 cent coin , Lesgold

Our dime (10 cents)  is 17.9 mm ... about the same as Aus 1 cent at 17.65 mm (our penny is 19.05mm)

Aus 10 cent coin is 23.6mm ... about the same as our quarter at 24.26 mm

So ... to uninformed Americans like me, imagine that coin as being a quarter .... looks like a lot more fun hobby to me now  :cheesy:

Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2023, 10:45:36 pm »
It is good fun but it?s quite expensive to buy a good detector to start with. Most days, the gold found covers the fuel cost, plus a bit (if you look at it from that perspective) but I don?t sell much at this stage. If you live close to gold bearing areas, it?s a real advantage. I started with a gold pan and still use one from time to time as it?s a lot of fun and can give plenty of information about the country that you are prospecting.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2023, 12:46:22 am »
I was thinking it would be cool to collect over the years until enough was accumulated to make something. I've done a fair amount of casting as a hobby and it's got a strangely relaxing quality to the work. It's similar to running a metal lathe or mill, but without the need for focused detail, almost hypnotic. That probably sounds nuts to most people, but that's as close as I can describe the feeling. I've never cast gold, for obvious reasons. Silver, bronze, brass, copper:yes, but mostly lead alloys for bullets and several different pewter or related alloys (mostly for high detail "tin soldiers"
Each metal has it's own "feel" and seems to stir different "feelings" at different stages of the process. Pretty sure that sounds nuts too :cheesy: 
Anyway, You may want to try it, if you haven't. Pewter is super cheap, low enough temp to make molds from rubber or straight Plaster of Paris (and without a furnace)... a super-cheap way to learn lot about how to make good molds. .. but bronze is wonderful... the glow, the radiant heat, it's reaction when it first hits the mold, will make you feel like you're working magic.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2023, 09:40:54 am »
I was thinking it would be cool to collect over the years until enough was accumulated to make something. I've done a fair amount of casting as a hobby and it's got a strangely relaxing quality to the work. It's similar to running a metal lathe or mill, but without the need for focused detail, almost hypnotic. That probably sounds nuts to most people, but that's as close as I can describe the feeling. I've never cast gold, for obvious reasons. Silver, bronze, brass, copper:yes, but mostly lead alloys for bullets and several different pewter or related alloys (mostly for high detail "tin soldiers"
Each metal has it's own "feel" and seems to stir different "feelings" at different stages of the process. Pretty sure that sounds nuts too :cheesy: 
Anyway, You may want to try it, if you haven't. Pewter is super cheap, low enough temp to make molds from rubber or straight Plaster of Paris (and without a furnace)... a super-cheap way to learn lot about how to make good molds. .. but bronze is wonderful... the glow, the radiant heat, it's reaction when it first hits the mold, will make you feel like you're working magic.
What are you using it to melt the metals and how hot will it get? I have thought of collecting scrap copper and making ingots out of it. Could do the same with brass, and take it to the scrap yard when prices are right.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2023, 02:39:59 pm »
What I'm doing wouldn't be cost effective for making ingots when it comes to the hot stuff.
Large amounts of lead? ... sure, that's fairly cold ... melting scrap would need 900F or so, or a little less than 700 for clean lead (if I remember correctly pure lead melts at 620 or so (alloys are almost always at lower temp) ... so, a good propane fish cooker and a cast iron pot (that you never use for anything else ever again), regular old wax for flux, and molds of cast iron or aluminum.

For the hotter stuff, never actually measured temperature. I've mostly done small stuff ... like sometimes just a ladle and acetylene torch.
For big hot stuff : Fuel is a choice between money and labor. You can make your own charcoal and bellows for cheap and a lot of work (both building and working) , graduate to using dried air out of a compressor, or all the way up to expensive gasses and oxygen. No matter the fuel, a blast furnace is needed, but easy to make. Mine is currently a stack of bricks, asbestos pipe, and steel pipe in the corner of the basement. I set it up in the back yard when needed.

Cost in time/work/fuel isn't worth the difference in price at the scrap yard to me. Doing it on a large enough scale to be "worth it" would also make it hard to control the pollution it can generate. Casting art pieces, you could make good money, but "art" is all about marketing rather than objective value.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2023, 03:52:45 pm »
I cast my own lead sinkers for fishing. It is good fun and saves a lot of money. About 20 years ago I made heaps and still haven?t used them all. I have cast aluminium in casting sand and really enjoyed that process. It was part of my teacher training a long time ago. Melting gold is also a rewarding experience. Watching small scraps of gold become molten and flow together to form a button of gold is amazing to watch. I have had some of my gold nuggets converted to jewellery over the years. I?ll see if my wife and daughters can drag some pieces out and I?ll photograph them. Would love to have the skills to do this myself but sometimes it is better to leave it to the experts.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2023, 04:36:39 pm »
That's cool ...
but if you leave it to the experts, you never gain the skills  :smile:
and the more of yourself you put into something, the more your loved ones see you in it.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2023, 05:21:32 pm »
So true but where does it all stop? More equipment to buy, more time to spend on another hobby and the time taken to build and refine skills. There just doesn?t seem to be enough hours in the day.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2023, 05:31:11 pm »
stop ? NEVER !

Whoever dies with the most tools wins !  :cheesy:

seriously, tho .. yeah, you're right ... we can't do it all ... darn it.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2023, 08:42:24 pm »
Here is a shot of a gold nugget that a jeweller attached a jump ring and chain to. It was given to my daughter for here 30th birthday about 5 years ago.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2023, 08:49:42 pm »
That is so beautiful!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2023, 12:46:42 am »
quite nice ! Natural forms have their own beauty. I'd bet she is incredibly happy with it !

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2023, 02:59:25 am »
It?s unique which is what my daughter likes. When I get home tomorrow, I will post a couple of pieces that were made for my wife.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #236 on: December 22, 2023, 05:17:51 am »
We had a cool day so a mate and I went for a trip to some old gold workings for a bit of a play. You can see from the photos that the old timers turned over a fair bit of ground. The gold was small but we had a lot of fun. Lost two pieces down the kitchen sink while I was cleaning it which was a bit of a shame.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #237 on: December 22, 2023, 06:13:11 am »
Les,
Looks like Christmas came early for you.
Take the kitchen sink trap off and retrieve that gold.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #238 on: December 22, 2023, 07:39:14 am »
Nice find Les. The gold might be found in the trap as Jim says..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #239 on: December 22, 2023, 07:39:33 am »
That is definitely neat and I'm with Jim, don't your drains have traps on them down under?

anything