Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: yesterday....my first queen killing....  (Read 2658 times)

Offline justtryintolearnhere

• New Bee
yesterday....my first queen killing....
« on: April 21, 2006, 10:32:55 am »
:( i know you have to do it to introduce your new queens but god it was a hard thing to do...the 1st queen killed was the one that swarmed about 4 weeks ago...and was she a laying wonder...still had a great pattern going still...but i guess it had to be done...still it wasnt a good feeling seeing her go...oh well i hope the new ones will do as well as she did...she was a laying machine... any out there who feel the same?
just tryin to learn here

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 11:03:53 am »
If you got a good laying queen, why would you want to replace her with one you know nothing about?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:55:49 pm »
>If you got a good laying queen, why would you want to replace her with one you know nothing about?

My thoughts exactly.

When I do requeen it's because I don't like the queen.  The bees are hot, they aren't producing well, etc.  I drop her in a jar of alcohol to make swarm lure.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 01:22:46 am »
Michael, is that grain alcohol?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline justtryintolearnhere

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 10:01:18 am »
well the queen already swarmed and when i got the hive she was already in it..and i really dont know how old she is and as she ages the pheramone that controls the hive waxes cold...and ive read that u requeen every cpl of years anyway..thats why i requeened...and i picked the new queen up at the apiary and the gentleman who has been supplying queens for 40 plus years worked his bees while i stood beside him...both of us without gloves or viels and not a bee brushed us or bumped us...man they were gentle bees... i think i made the right choice there
just tryin to learn here

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 11:35:44 am »
>Michael, is that grain alcohol?

It could be. Mine is just isopropyl rubbing alcohol.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 04:50:20 pm »
If she was still such a good queen, why couldn't you have pulled 3-4 frames of brood and pollen and made a nuc with her.  That way you would have had a "spare" in case the new one was not accepted or you could have let her build up to a small hive and then combined her with a weak hive.

I KNOW I am going to have a hard time with my first bee-heading.  I guess I need to start with a "hot" hive so I don't mind doing it so much.

Fuzzybeekeeper

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 10:29:08 pm »
That's another thing I often do.  Put any old queen in a nuc and have some spare queens around.  I can always dispose of her come winter and combine the nuc.
-------------------