Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not Once But Twice!  (Read 2297 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Not Once But Twice!
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:50:18 pm »
JP mentioned a recent poisoning of a swarm. Yesterday I received a call from Sunoco Oil refinery nearby. I said dont spray w/ anything, i'll be there in twenty minutes. You know what happened next. They were poisoned. i road all the way down there and most were dead. It took an hour to clear security, they had to issue me a full canvas jumpsuit saying "VENDOR" in dayglo orange, print a sign w/ my honey business name for my car, a hard hat, leather gloves, car-top cone idnetifying me as a vendor, earplugs and work boots(nice one's to!) I got to keep it all too.The foreman was beyond annoyed. One, they didn't follow directions, two, its a secure sight and who brought a propellenat(spray can ) onto work site. This place was huge, well over 150 acres big.  So this AM, I get another call from same foreman. He says, " I ordered them not to spray, and this swarm is about the size of a dorm refrigerator." They were sprayed again and all were dead. Found the queen. Foreman was ballistic. By this time I was annoyed too w/ price of gas and all. they will make a donation to club of course, but to lose this huge swarm was heartbreaking. At least 10lbs of bees, Two deeps worth minimally. Before I left, there was a public announcent about a mandatory meeting after lunch, to be attended by all employees. Anyways ,just venting............
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline lovelyembalmer

• House Bee
Re: Not Once But Twice!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:55:07 pm »
 :(Pretty bad when the general public wants to kill a swarm of bees rather then let someone get them. maybe they thought they were Killer bees?  So sorry you had to make two trips for nothing, maybe the meeting will clear things up.