Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee's are Buzzing  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Bee's are Buzzing
« on: October 18, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »
I went around the Hives in my back yard yesterday 16 of them and they are all cracking. I had to super up one hive to 4x8 frames box's. They are on a good flow at the moment and the smell in the late afternoon is awesome.
I even heard a Queen pipping for the first time. Well I am pretty sure that's what I heard. I heard this as I was going through a brood box.

I was pleased to see only about 20 Small Hive Beetles a small amount of Chalk brood in two hives and no sign of AFB!!!!! which is terrific.
The Bee's were quite patient with me even though I was fully suited I copped thee Stings. One on the lip when my veil touched my face, free Botox and a couple on my legs as the bee's crawled up my legs.

All in all it was nice to go through the Hives as its been so wet this year I have left them alone a bit. I think the Chalk Brood will work itself out according to my research.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:30:50 pm by Anybrew2 »

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bee's are Buzzing
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:31:28 pm »
Sounds like your bees came out of winter real well.
If you heard a Queen piping, that hive is keeping queens locked in their cells. Usually done when they plan on multiple swarms. They are not allowing one queen to remove the rest.
That is a good hive to make a bunch of splits from. You will find that you have lots of queens ready to hatch.
Make up your nucs, let them sit for a few hours (keep them in with screen) and then open the piping hive.
Pull a frame and place it in a nuc. The queens will start hatching as soon as you disturb the bees that are keeping them in their cells.
Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Re: Bee's are Buzzing
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 04:22:12 pm »
Wow really Jim, thats darn interesting. Half way through the piping hive I saw heaps of brood and then stopped thinking that I may be stressing the queen hence the piping so I stopped and re assembled it.
Looks like I have to split like you suggest or let them swarm.
We did have a very mild Winter but an extremely wet winter/spring more rain than I has seen in this semi desert environment.

anything