Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to Make Splits, Nucs etc?  (Read 7754 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Re: When to Make Splits, Nucs etc?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 09:41:50 am »
Time is coming! All my citrus and stone fruit trees are coming in to flower at the moment also lots of action at the entrance with pollen and nectar on its way in.

Mick

Offline west end apiary

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 05:24:32 am »
Well i checked my hives today and while I have multiple queen cells in the box, I looked in all my other hives and I wold be hesitant to take brood from other hives as they looked like they were struggling.

They were not full of bees and looked a bit lean on stores, so I left the nuc hove with the queen cells and will check on them in 2 weeks.

I think I went too early and should have left them alone for a bit longer.

I guess I got too excited and went too early.

Cheers

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 01:15:32 am »
I guess I got too excited and went too early.
Happens to all of us from time to time mate, don't stress.

I will be opening the queenless hive and checking the nuc we made from it on Thursday - fingers crossed!

Offline west end apiary

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 04:09:12 am »
so just for a further follow up, this hive is doing well and the queen has a very nice laying pattern.

I have them in two four frame nuc boxes and hopefully will have them into a double eight frame by the time i come back from my holiday.

so all in all it was a successful split made in July, which i think is pretty amazing

Small side note, I extracted my first honey for the current season and it is very dark and rich.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 09:35:08 pm »
We extracted about 35kg the other week and it is super dark as well. One of the hives looks like it's almost ready for another super already!

Yesterday I put the nuc into a full depth 10 frame hive as it was busting at the seams, and the parent hive has a queen and she is laying beautifully (She really is her mothers daughter).

I'm tempted to split the other very busy hive we have now

anything