Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by gww on Today at 07:54:29 pm »
I don't know if they are in or if I have the energy today to go back near dark to find out.  Pulled a radiator out of a kabota today and I am beat.  I posted though because of the double entrance stuff earlier in this thread.  Clearly in the picture this trap has a double entrance and some have lots of holes due to using scrap and leaving out for years at a time.  They may be in as something is dragging out the mouse nest that must have been in there.  No matter the case, as I have mentioned many time in this thread.  If I see bees at my traps, I am extremely hopeful cause they could care less about my traps except when looking for a home (almost always). 

I know you can only see a few bees in the picture but I don't take picture taking too seriously as to do better, it is harder.  Quite a few around, just not in the picture.
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: Laser projects
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 07:33:34 pm »
You're not wasting any time there. Looks nice.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Orientation Flights
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 07:31:21 pm »
Whoa, that's more than I expected, like two or three times more. So, every day there should be two or three thousand bees progressing through their lives and taking orientation flights? It looks like numbers out front are increasing but I won't go back in until Friday to see how they look, weather permitting.
« Last post by BeeMaster2 on Today at 06:53:40 pm »
Terri,
If there is a good flow on or spring build up is going on, the queen will bee laying as many cells that the bees can cover. If you have a strong hive that can bee between 2000 to 3000 eggs per day. 
Jim Altmiller
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Laser projects
« Last post by BeeMaster2 on Today at 06:49:17 pm »
Just received my new Falcon 2 laser engraver/cutter. It is a 22 watt laser.
On Friday we have a retirement party to go to for my wife?s old boss. I just finished a plaque for him.
Jim Altmiller
Here it is.
« Last post by FatherMichael on Today at 06:49:00 pm »
Sometimes what we see are cleansing flights.  All bees have to do that.

I don't know if all bees become field bees who need orientation flights.
After 3 days the honey is ready for jarring up. Honey colour  is starting to lighten and thicken up. Better get it into containers before it sets.

A hand full of t-posts. Most antique/junk shops will have old tripods, but you could probably get them plenty cheap on Amazon and never leave the house too.

Thanks, .30.

I went with the Moultrie Edge Pro and a lithium battery instead of solar panel.

The t-posts are a great idea.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Orientation Flights
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 06:40:52 pm »
I know there are several (at least) threads on orientation flights but none of the ones that I dug into answered my question...How often will there be orientation flights? Lately, it seems like it's an every day thing in my 'hood and logically, it stands to reason. Let's dig a little deeper while we're at it. How many eggs does the queen lay per day and does she lay eggs every day or does she just lay them when the others request it? If she lays them every day, then I would expect bees to be in every stage of their life every day and orientation flights would take place every day. Except research suggests that they only take them weather permitting. I had a cloudy afternoon here but they held an orientation class just the same.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by FatherMichael on Today at 01:42:35 pm »
I plan to check frequently.
If you have your trap within WIFI range, I'd get a camera set up so you don't have to check and won't miss any action. Mine lets me know anytime a bee comes onto the scene (which hasn't happened today) and I can open up the app and watch without having to run out there. I got it tuned pretty good now and am not getting any false alarms. Just bees and cats.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I just ordered a cellular game trail camera.  It will be connected to my T-mobile iPhone.  Moultrie has a turn-key camera and cellular service.  Ordered the lithium battery version instead of the solar powered one because with the battery I can move it around, strap it to tree trunks or fence posts, and keep it better hidden - on a post in the open is too obvious.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQDFKBDS/?coliid=IZ8FMFYILJ3T8&colid=26FGO2OFAJU8J&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything