Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Painting Pollen Trap  (Read 2341 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Painting Pollen Trap
« on: March 03, 2021, 08:10:31 pm »
I'm working on painting my Sundance pollen trap to get it ready for use this season, and there are places on the underside of the trap where the bees won't be that I can't really get to to paint.  I'm concerned about the trap holding up over time in my moist climate.  Did you paint the areas of the trap that are inside the hive, but the bees don't have access too?  If so, how? 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:00:33 pm by sawdstmakr »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
Re: Painting Pollen Trap
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 10:46:15 pm »
Will be facing this same dilemma soon. Them things are expensive! Have leaned towards the natural look of linseed oil rather than paint on most of my equipment. (Thinned ~50/50 with odorless mineral spirits. Takes forever to dry without, plus I think it soaks in deeper)

Hopefully it will run through the screen to the un-accessible areas... A wax dipping tank would be even better :wink: On my to do list (and I have SWMBO's permission to build one!) but will not be ready in time for this season. Look forward to others suggestions.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 06:33:52 am »
Dip the trap, or any wood, for 1 to 2 minutes and protect it for years.

https://beezneedz.com/product/eco-wood-treatment/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 01:34:37 pm »
Dip the trap, or any wood, for 1 to 2 minutes and protect it for years.

https://beezneedz.com/product/eco-wood-treatment/
I was thinking about something like this, but the problem is I already painted most of the trap.  I didn't realize there were areas that neither I or the bees could access until I was actually painting. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 05:30:56 pm »
No problem. Dip it, paint and all. It will be fine.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 07:52:17 pm »
Great, that's good to know, and I may do something like that if it's necessary.  I guess my question really is that: is it necessary?  I mean on the one hand, it's not like this area is exposed to the weather, but on the other hand, with my humidity like it is I'm worried about mold.  Recommendations? 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 08:58:31 pm »
Great, that's good to know, and I may do something like that if it's necessary.  I guess my question really is that: is it necessary?  I mean on the one hand, it's not like this area is exposed to the weather, but on the other hand, with my humidity like it is I'm worried about mold.  Recommendations?

Member I recommend painting or some type of protection for exposed areas.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:38:49 pm »
Member I recommend painting or some type of protection for exposed areas.
If it was exposed I'd figure out some way to paint it, no questions asked.  The thing that makes me question if it's necessary is this area of the trap is completely inside the hive, but the way the trap is set up, the bees don't have access to this part, so they can't clean or propolize the wood here, and I'm wondering if it'll mold even inside the hive in my climate.   

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 10:29:01 pm »
Iddees' dip sounded good. But I see what you mean. I don't know about what you are asking member. What others do which run pollen traps would be the experts to hear from. Have you checked out some of the youtube videos?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 12:34:30 pm »
The Sundance Pollen traps I use are the same size as your hive bodies or suppers.  I paint the outside only, would not paint the inside there is no need to. I've been using them for over 8 years now still good as new. Painting or dipping a fully assembled pollen trap would possibly clog up the wire screen and drone escapes.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 03:11:25 pm »
Iddees' dip sounded good. But I see what you mean. I don't know about what you are asking member. What others do which run pollen traps would be the experts to hear from. Have you checked out some of the youtube videos?
I did, but all I could find were people talking about them before they were painted or already on the hive in use and then they didn't mention painting. 

The Sundance Pollen traps I use are the same size as your hive bodies or suppers.  I paint the outside only, would not paint the inside there is no need to. I've been using them for over 8 years now still good as new. Painting or dipping a fully assembled pollen trap would possibly clog up the wire screen and drone escapes.
Thanks so much Brian, this is really what I was looking for, someone with hands on experience regarding how they hold up over time.  I'll probably just leave it as it is then and keep an eye on it.  I can always do something about it later if I start to see problems forming with mold or moisture.   

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 07:14:41 pm »
Could always melt some beeswax and use a small art paint brush to apply it into the tight areas on the underside.  I have not had any problems with wax covered interior wood areas molding or mildewing here in Hawaii.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 11:14:57 pm »
Could always melt some beeswax and use a small art paint brush to apply it into the tight areas on the underside.  I have not had any problems with wax covered interior wood areas molding or mildewing here in Hawaii.
That's not a bad idea.  I thought about using a small brush, and I will if it comes to that, but some of these areas I couldn't reach even with a small brush.