Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: winter stores  (Read 1092 times)

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
winter stores
« on: September 26, 2019, 09:16:36 am »
bees moved in to hive on memorial weekend.when i checked the hive yesterday the first super was about 80%the second super has only a half hand sized new comb. the hive is a single brood box and 2 supers. should i feed or wait ? they are bringing in pollen and there is lots of activity . bees are very peaceful and easy to work .have never smoked them .im using only a hood and nitrile gloves.they have never attempted to sting while im in the hive.first bees ever and i dont want to loose them this winter.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: winter stores
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:14:38 am »
Keep an eye on the flow.  It may have already ended.  If so, then you need to feed them to keep them building up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: winter stores
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:16:35 am »
>the hive is a single brood box and 2 supers

What size are the boxes?  Assuming a deep brood box and medium supers.  I would probably start feeding them if you do not have a strong fall flow.  I can overwinter with a full deep and medium box.  I assume that you will need at least that, so you may need them to fill out that second super.  They will only build new comb if they have something to put in it.

anything