Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Online courses? Any thoughts on this?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
Online courses? Any thoughts on this?
« on: September 15, 2020, 05:48:05 pm »
Ok. I'm thinking about taking an online course in beekeeping. I've included a screenshot of what it says it consists of. It's through udemy online. You guys have never steered me wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of an online course? Thanks.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Re: Online courses? Any thoughts on this?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:15:18 pm »
 I would have to get a recommendation from someone that has taken the course. And who wrote/prepared the course? $60. is cheap IF it saves you from making a mistake that dooms a hive or helps you to recover one headed downhill. You have several good sources in your county library system. And it depends on how you learn/retain the best. Is your computer located where your home enviorment won't keep you distracted. There are probably others on here that are better qualified than me to give an opinion on udemy, but online courses can be very educational just as youtube can be if you pick and choose.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 09:45:12 pm »
I have not taken any online courses for beekeeping, however I made great use of our local library system and borrowed dozens of books (literally) when I started my journey last year.  I found a few exceptionally useful and even purchased a copy of one for reference (Beekeeping Mentor in a Book [D. Studinski]).  I also mentored under a beekeeper several times to get some hands on experience (highly recommend if you can work this out).  I got "book smart" but needed the hands-on application.  The online course will give you the same thing free books will at your library IMO and while not as good as a mentor, YouTube, if employed correctly can give you some confidence, which was my main takeaway from being mentored.  Give a call to some local beekeepers and volunteer to help them with inspections.  Your labor in exchange for their knowledge and giving you experience.  Plus, the relationship could go a long way in the future.  Many beekeepers (though not all) will welcome mentoring someone who is serious at least for a few visits.  Help is always nice and many beeks enjoy talking bees so pick their brains and let your mind be a sponge.  You'll never know unless you make those calls and effort to reach out and ask.  If you have a local club, reach out to them and start there.  They may be able to set you up with a mentor beek.  I say save your money and patronize your library in the meantime.  Read any books you can get hold of.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 10:12:34 pm »
There are many avenues to learning about bees, good information is out there; (Out there) meaning the internet, this forum being a great example of such good information. As JurassicApiary pointed out youtube is another great choice. Depending on how serious you are, the information is available to be "seen" as well as heard by whoever wishes to learn.

We all have our beekeeping roots. Mine earnest beginnings really started by watching youtube, asking questions at the bottom of the videos in the comment section. JP and his buddy Shawnee were a tremendous help to me in getting started with their videos of cutouts. I did my first cutout with their shared knowledge of youtube videos and they, answering any unanswered questions that I could not find the answers too anywhere else at that time. They were very kind and helpful in answering my questions in the comment section.  I have found the same to be true with most youtubers.

What I could not find on youtube I ask here. I have been posting and asking questions here for here for about 29 months and have come along way though I realize I have a way to go. Beemaster is the right place to be for a person seeking knowledge. I will not try and dissuade you from taking the course as the course may very well be a help to you. I do not know the magnitude of the course because I have not taken it, but I really do not see the need if you are willing to do your homework with information which is already provided. As HoneyPump says, "I hope that helps."
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Charles Wright

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:52:55 am »
As of now I've bought one book, downloaded and read 2 on kindle. I've watched probably 75 videos on YouTube, (some of them several times). And I ask questions here quite often. All of the information I've sought, I've been able to find. So I'm gonna save the $60 and maybe invest it in a few more books. Thanks everyone.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 11:08:25 am »
If I had $60 to spend on training info, I would buy Michael?s The Practical Beekeeper, I think it costs less than that.
Second choice would bee AI Root Company?s ABC-XYZ Of Bee culture.
Both books are a conglomeration of answers to questions beekeepers have asked.
I have both and have often times gone back to them to answer members questions.

A after you have them I would recommend Caron and Connor?s Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 01:11:19 pm »
Near the start of the pandemic, Penn state had a free one.  I took it, got a nice certificate at the end.  Any information is helpful to me, I enjoyed it. 

Offline charentejohn

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 07:18:27 pm »
For me I did a basic course, 2x half days with full day in the middle so two days in all.  Gave a chance to talk about what we were shown (only 5 people / group) but the main thing was just to handle some frames and look at what was there.
I believe you can learn just fine from reading and videos and these cover in a few months what it has taken others years to learn.  Basically someone spent 10 yrs overcoming problems and can pass that on, better that than I make the same mistakes they did.  Being able to 'talk' with dozens or hundreds of people is a great thing to be able to do, you get differing ideas and views rather than just one.

Only thing I would say is you do need to actually handle hives and be in amongst the bees just for an hour or two at least. Well it helped me anyway, what I took from that was.
Being surrounded by bees the course instructor was looking for anyone nervous about it.  Luckliy we were all calm and more interested in talking about what we were doing.
Opening a hive involves cracking and crunching noises so good to do it once so you know, and the weight.
Releasing and carefully lifting a frame needs some confidence, learn to do it slowly uder supervision.  I was worried about crushing bees so a steady hand is needed, good to try that once or twice.
Carefully replacing a frame is also an art so again doing a couple is good.
Last but not least learning to shoo bees away to replace frames etc to avoid crushing, they will move if you give them a chance.

Doing the practical side is worthwhile so a short course or helping a local keeper for a day is not a bad idea.  Frames can be heavy and cumbersome and could have the queen on the one you drop or misalign so helps to know what to expect.

You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi