Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Single frame observation hive.  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Single frame observation hive.
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2022, 06:59:56 am »
I like that you can see all the way from side to side.  Less places for the queen to hide.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2022, 11:22:01 pm »
Finally had a chance to add a test frame of bees to the observation hive. Took the frame from a nuc and decided to leave the queen in the main hive during this test. I  marked the queen so that she would be clearly visible for anyone who wants to have a look on the weekend. The bees seam well behaved at the moment. A sponge with some water was also added. If all goes well, I will return this frame in 3 hours. For sundays market, I will ensure that the queen is present.

Cheers

Les

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2022, 12:17:30 am »
That looks phenomenal, Les!  I'd stop at a stand with that set up!  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2022, 12:19:33 am »
I agree!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2022, 01:34:16 am »
Thanks guys. It?s actually quite interesting to listen to the girls. With no queen, they are crying. The noise is very loud and cyclical. They will be quietly going about their business for a while and then the noise level will increase dramatically for a minute or so. I will give them another half an hour or so and then return the frame to the nuc. Looks like everything is working according to plan. It will be interesting to see how the brood copes with this upset.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2022, 10:05:51 am »
Les have you made a video featuring your new Observation Hive? (along with bees inside?)

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2022, 04:36:10 pm »
No I haven?t Phillip. A good idea though. Might leave that until I refine the technique. There have been some good ideas presented here and I want to experiment and try some of them over a couple of months until I have all of my own questions answered. Some examples include:

- stress on the queen and the bees in the single frame hive. How will they cope and respond?
- will brood chill or overheat in a small confined space in a 5 hour period.
- will the bees continue to perform their normal hive tasks when disturbed or behave in an erratic manner.
- how will the rest of the main hive behave when the queen has been removed?
- what other areas have I not yet considered?

Time will tell. Some of my questions already appear to be answered but a one off test doesn?t really prove much.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2022, 09:16:12 pm »
Thats beautiful Les.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2022, 10:14:43 pm »
Your hive looks great.  I have only one question that no one has addressed yet.  When pulling a frame to take to the market, won't the bees without the queen start queen cells?  And what will happen when the queen is reintroduced?

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2022, 10:23:56 pm »
Good question cao. I should be able to give some feedback on that in about a weeks time. I am hoping that the absence of the queen for about 6 hours will not get the rest of the hive too excited. Time will tell.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2022, 05:46:58 am »
Cao,
The bees will start making a new queen but as soon as he puts the frame back in the hive the bees will either remove the queen larvae or start feeding them pollen bread depending on the age of the brood.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2022, 10:37:52 pm »
What a disaster. A howling wind came up at the markets and almost blew the stall away. Had to swing on the  gazebo to hold it on the ground. At one stage a gust picked up containers of honey like feathers and moved them all over the table. The observation hive was unceremoniously picked up and flung to the ground landing on my wife?s foot. The bees who had behaved themselves very well to this point, became quite unsettled for about 30 minutes. In the end, the roof of the gazebo was removed and the hive was partially covered to protect it from direct sunlight. There wasn?t many patrons present due to the windy conditions. All that being said, there was considerable interest in the hive and the kids loved the free honey samples. I reckon my honey sales were up by about 50% over the last markets. Took the hive home and returned the bees to the mother hive. I will monitor their progress in a weeks time.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2022, 01:34:41 am »
All of that and your sales where still up 50 percent! Very good sign of what the possibilities may prove to be!

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2022, 11:20:58 am »
Well my goal this winter is to build a nice 1 frame observation hive. The mann lake one is good for the fair etc. But its to bulky and heavy in my opinion to be consistently moving around.
I like the idea of the single frame much more for short term viewing.
Thanks Les

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2022, 01:25:23 am »
Checked the nuc that I pinched a frame from on Sunday for the markets. Everything looked OK. Saw the queen wandering around and also freshly laid eggs. No signs of any issues with the brood or the queen. No signs of queen cells being developed. Pretty happy that it all worked out. I will have markets again in a week and a half so the process will be repeated but using a different hive to share the stress around.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2022, 06:54:38 am »
The single frame ones where you can see the end bars (so the queen can't hide) are handy for many reasons.  Weight being a big one.  Since I run all mediums, though, I find two mediums frames to be better.  I need to build that one.  I have the one frame deep, (or Dadant deep or one medium and one extra shallow...),  though the queen has places she can hide in mine, and I don't currently run any extra shallow frames in my hives...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2022, 10:31:50 am »
Checked the nuc that I pinched a frame from on Sunday for the markets. Everything looked OK. Saw the queen wandering around and also freshly laid eggs. No signs of any issues with the brood or the queen. No signs of queen cells being developed. Pretty happy that it all worked out. I will have markets again in a week and a half so the process will be repeated but using a different hive to share the stress around.

Sounds good. I like the idea that you will use a different hive for the next go-round for the reason you stated. Hopefully the Weather will be pleasant this time..

Phillip

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2022, 11:39:44 pm »
Round two with the observation hive at the markets. This time the weather was terrific and the bees were well behaved. The queen would often hide herself for a couple of minutes and then re appear on the frame. People were quite impressed with the way that the she continued her royal duties and was regularly seen laying eggs. Adults as well as kids often stood and watched for minutes on end. Honey and comb honey sales were quite good considering the small crowd present. Honey tasting definitely increased sales and often people purchased extra after sampling the product.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2022, 01:05:18 am »
Congratulation on a job well done Les, as well as success..

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2022, 07:24:21 am »
I have always found that samples help a lot.  Also having different color honey next to each other gets them asking questions about that.  They usually don't know that not all honey tastes alike.  In fact it's often very much not alike.  Some pollen gets people asking questions as well.  I don't sell much of it, but having it on the table is one more thing to get them interested.  Plus, of course, beeswax, comb honey, chunk honey, propolis etc.
-------------------

anything