Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding flavors to honey.  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Adding flavors to honey.
« on: August 10, 2022, 08:50:43 am »
Hot honey. I suppose they add chili pepper to it. Intriguing.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Adding flavors to honey.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 09:11:32 am »
I make hot honey, and man, it is GREAT!  Here's the What's Cookin' section about it; reply #425 is where I start talking about making it, and we discuss it intermittently, amongst other foods and interjected nonsense, :cheesy: for at least the rest of the page.  30 actually made some on What's Cookin' before me, and I think I actually got the idea from him, but I can't seem to find his post. 
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=54563.420
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 09:55:35 am »
Interesting. I would have thought a little bit of ancho chili powder for flavor and a dash of cayenne for heat would do better than Frank's sauce.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 01:44:24 pm »
Here's 30's original post about it.  We discuss it here for about a page as well. 
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=54563.380

Interesting. I would have thought a little bit of ancho chili powder for flavor and a dash of cayenne for heat would do better than Frank's sauce.
I'm sure that would work, but the idea with this is not so much about infusing the honey as it is about making a dipping sauce that is mostly honey.  With the vinegar component it's like sweet and spicy and tangy and yum!  :grin: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline lussian283

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:46:55 pm »
Honey is good all aspect taste and health benefits. But if added some flavors will reduce it's benefits.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 12:06:06 am »
Welcome to Beemaster, lussian283.  :smile:

Honey is good all aspect taste and health benefits. But if added some flavors will reduce it's benefits.
That's not really true.  Adding additional ingredients to honey doesn't damage it in any meaningful way, especially if you don't heat it. 

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 09:57:13 pm »
Welcome to beemaster!! How could adding [e.g. flavonoid] compounds reduce health benefits of honey?

If I can keep the muscovies off them, I have some ghost peppers getting ripe and some nice transparent blonde honey I'm going to jar up some whole peppers saturated in honey.  Mmmm

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 05:33:53 pm »
This honey is sold in straws, for single consumption, at a honey shop in Pike's Market in Seattle. I wonder about the food coloring and flavor additives.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 08:21:43 am »
For the most part I don't like flavored honey just like I don't like flavored coffee.  Coffee should taste like coffee.  Honey should taste like honey.  However, I have enjoyed some hot honey in the past and I may make some again in the future.  Just take some dried hot peppers and put them in the honey.  The heat will diffuse over time.  Pick you peppers to match your taste.  I like the regular dried red chili peppers.  But if you like it really hot there are habenaro and ghost peppers...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 02:49:16 am »
My neighbours gave me a jar of ginger infused honey when they returned from a recent holiday. It was actually very nice. Does anyone here know how to make it using raw ginger? Would be interested in finding out the method. As ginger contains moisture and wild yeasts on the skin, fermentation of the honey may result so the correct technique would be critical to achieve success.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 01:35:39 pm »
It seems every time I go into a store, nowadays, that I find some kind of honey/flavor combination.
Here is a honey and syrup mix.
When I put syrup on one of my biscuits and honey on the other, this mix happens naturally on my plate.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 08:31:34 pm »
It seems every time I go into a store, nowadays, that I find some kind of honey/flavor combination.
Here is a honey and syrup mix.
When I put syrup on one of my biscuits and honey on the other, this mix happens naturally on my plate.
That seems totally useless to me.  Like you say, how hard is it to make that in any container if you happen once in a very great while to need or want it. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 09:40:14 pm »
I sympathize with you both, Bob and Member. I am personally not a fan of flavored honey either. On the other hand their must be some type of market for it unless it's a fad, a fleeting passing thing.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.