Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Maybe The Best Smoker Fuel? All Opinions Welcome  (Read 8206 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Maybe The Best Smoker Fuel? All Opinions Welcome
« on: July 24, 2022, 05:22:15 pm »
The 'best smoker fuel' subject is debatable and not all beekeepers will agree upon any one source as being the absolute best. What are sources you have tried and your present favorite?

Yesterday was my time of re-stock. Storing in 'packed' sealed top, 4 gallon buckets. Though I have tried several different sources of smoker fuel, (except pecan hulls as advised by Paws, and I do intend to try those). 
So far my favorite is zoysia grass clippings. I use the mulcher attachment on my mower to row up the last bit of cuttings. The following day with a rake, I flip these over as one might do the same on a larger scale in a hay field. This  allows the clippings to thoroughly 'cure' with no chance of mildew developing.

The result is a pleasant smelling, cool burning smoke that does the job well and last for a long time when packed tight once the fire base has been successfully established. 

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Maybe The Best Smoker Fuel? All Opinions Welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 05:34:16 pm »
Instead of making my own mini hay field, I just use actual hay!  :cheesy:  Our goats waste a good bit of hay (actually a few weeks ago, my sister found the bucks just ripping all the hay out of their hay rack for fun), so I just use the clean stuff they drop, or the hay that ends up on the floor in the garage, which is where we store our hay.  As you say about grass clippings, it burns nicely and smells sweet and not acrid.  I usually top off my smoker with a handful of damp hay, just to make it burn a little slower and to help the smoke to be a little cooler.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 05:42:23 pm »
Haa Haa lol. My little 'mini hayfield' usually makes just enough for about 3 packed, 4 gallon buckets 'if' I do everything properly and use the mulcher, otherwise I can't find enough to scrape up a cup full.  :wink:

I learned of grass from Kaymon Reynolds. He uses hay as you do Reagan, (or at least he did) I haven't kept up with his stuff lately. I don't have horses anymore and the source of hay is not readily available for me as it once was. This method might help those who do not have hay handy. Kaymon uses Bermuda if I remember correctly (from that old video). He spoke of the coolness of the smoke and I agree, as do you.. Thanks for your input. What are other sources you have tried?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 05:49:33 pm »
I am a fan of burlap.  I can get it free or cheap around here, but I have noticed that it is being used less these days.  My next choice is pine needles and cones, but they can be sappy so If you can collet them the year before and store them they are less messy.

my last choice is our wood pellets.  They do an OK job once you get them to the smoking point and they last a long time.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 05:51:48 pm »
Oh, and do you remember Father Michael told us about using the incense starters to get and keep your smoker going?  I have not tried that yet.  Wonder where he got to?

I believe these are what he was talking about

https://www.amazon.com/Coal-Disks-Incense-Briquettes-Quicklighting/dp/B08CNLV6FN/ref=sr_1_2?crid=104JM1YYM8YPD&keywords=incense+pucks&qid=1658695973&sprefix=Incense+pucks%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-2
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 06:12:43 pm »
What are other sources you have tried?
When I first started beekeeping I used pine shavings, since we use that as bedding for our chicken coop, and it was okay, but the pine shavings burned fast, so I often had to refuel, which was a pain.  Also if the shavings were too small, they'd pack down too easily and smother the fire, and then I'd have to relight, which was even more of a pain.  I have also tried pine straw, which I didn't like, as the smell was acrid and made me cough.  I also found the pine straw to burn too hot and way too fast.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 06:18:17 pm »
Kathy burlap use to be a common material around here as it was used for feed sacks. The feed manufacturing companies here use paper or plastic sacks these days; Unfortunately.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 07:29:21 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 06:22:40 pm »
Quote: KathyP
"Oh, and do you remember Father Michael told us about using the incense starters to get and keep your smoker going?  I have not tried that yet.  Wonder where he got to?

I believe these are what he was talking about"

I do remember Kathy!  I do not know where he got off too. I miss him here. I sent a PM to him back in November 12, 2021 letting him know that I missed his post here and hoped all was well for he and his family. I sent another wishing him Happy New Year January 1 this year.

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 06:24:19 pm »
Quote:  The15thMember
"I have also tried pine straw, which I didn't like, as the smell was acrid and made me cough.  I also found the pine straw to burn too hot and way too fast."

Same here Reagan.

Phillip

« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 06:44:11 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 11:07:48 pm »
    In my opinion 75% punky wood and 25% pine straw. Are the best for smoker fuel.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 11:29:14 pm »
"Punky wood"?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 07:26:42 am »
I've tried about everything and nothing works as good as burlap.  I admit, though,  I have a small amount of pine straw in the spring which is gone in a few weeks, and I use it when it's there.  It smells nicer, but doesn't burn nearly as long.  The burlap is cut somewhere between 9" and 12" wide the length of the bolt (which is about five feet wide).  Then I double it in length and then in width and roll it reasonably tight and tie it with a piece of burlap thread pulled from the cloth.  The frayed edges are together so they light easily.  I usually use a self igniting torch.  Back in the days when I had to do this with matches, I would get some small twigs and build an actual fire in the bottom of the smoker and then add the burlap.  That way there are coals in the bottom to keep it going.  But the torch does well enough.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 07:38:41 am »
Burlap or pine needles here. My discovery, though, was that a little wad of lint from the dryer is great to get things going.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 09:23:14 am »
pine straw here. Free, unlimited supply, burns cool and lasts forever, if the smoker is packed correctly.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 11:03:57 am »
"Punky wood"?
You know how the wood at the center of a rotted log or branch is all fibrous and soft?  That's punky wood. 

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2022, 11:07:11 am »
I usually start my fire with Pine needles dried under a tarp.  Then I use Pecan hulls obtained from a shelling place, or I keep the hulls we shell.  They smell good and burn for a long time.  I also use them in BBQ on top of charcoal or wood or in an electric smoker.  I think this is some of the best smoke to use.  Back to bee smoking, I got some coffee grounds, and I left them in the green house, and they dried out, so I tried the coffee grounds in my smoker.  I used the dried coffee grounds on a hive that I never made eye contact with when I walked by, or I got bopped.  When the coffee smoke hit them, they calmed down and were really nice.  Coincidence, maybe, but has worked a couple of times on mean bees.  Try it.

salvo

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2022, 12:19:13 pm »
Hi Folks,

The use of a smoker is a BIG deal to me and a few other ?mentors? in our club.

At our Bee School we demonstrate what to use, how to light, and how to maintain a lit smoker. We devoted two classes to it this year. We emphasise tinder and a good base fire before adding fuel. One demo used burlap and cotton rags. Another guy used newspaper as tinder and pine needles and ?stuff he picked up? as fuel. We all explain about ?green grass? if your smoke is too hot. Another guy used pine curls (plane shavings off a pine board) or small pine cones as tinder, and cedar or pine pet bed shavings bought at Walmart as fuel. Most students are suburbians, and don?t have the where-with-all to gather pine needles and ?stuff?. They can buy a bale of pet bedding, enough for several years (I do agree with 15 about the fine dusty bits). After two hours of unattended smoldering, both smokers had to be dumped out and extinguished to leave for home. I like the cedar. Bees don?t seem to mind it. Smells good to me.

I now tell ?mentees? to light their smoker a half hour before I?m due there. I?ve been disappointed when I pull up to a newbee?s house and they greet me with all their gear,? and an empty smoker. Or sometimes they?re knelt down smiling at me while gathering trash and grass off the ground. Now, I carry my own tinder and fuel with me. After me spending time lighting their smoker, and when we?re about halfway through the inspection,? the smoker is finally ready.

I recently posted to our club FB page: It takes only one carless match to start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches and two butane lighters to light one smoker. Many related.

BTW!!! My smoker lid is a pain to open after it cools. I've scraped, wire brushed and burned that black "tar" around the lip and it's still a pain. Plumber's torch? It must be those resins from the cedar.

Sal

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2022, 01:28:13 pm »
Perhaps not the best smoker fuel...... but as I have an unlimited supply of corrugated cardboard.....
Rolled into tubes with a hollow centre. Easy to light (butane torch) and long lasting when lit.
It will do me.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2022, 02:02:51 pm »
>corrugated cardboard..... Rolled into tubes with a hollow centre

I have used it in a pinch.  Unfortunately it smells worse the burlap...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Maybe The Best Smoker Fuel? All Opinions Welcome
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 01:37:48 am »
I use burlap, once nice and hot to slow the burn rate while at the same time boosting the smoke density and volume it gets stuffed with hand grabs on the fly with balls of green grass, hand stripping of leaves from low hanging branches, bark sheets off old rotting tree stumps, moss, ?. You get the idea.  Have a goto fuel for getting going then grab what nature  presents in hand. 
For a short look into a couple hives int the backyard; nothing is more satisfying than shredded paper from old bills, credit statements, etc.  easy, fast to get going, and mental release as the text goes up in smoke.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything