Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shifting Hives a relatively short distance  (Read 3099 times)

Online max2

• Queen Bee
Re: Shifting Hives a relatively short distance
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2022, 03:04:02 am »
Well, we are on the way of moving the hives.
There are 26 in total.
So far we have moved 18 to the intermediate location - right along a the road to my driveway. We hardly get any traffic.

So far, so good. Heavy work.

One of the biggest iisues, maybe the biggest is...it is sooo wet. We had a lot of rain and working between showers.

The ground is soft. One site we wanted to use was recently under water. Not a good spot.

A few more ( the biggest hives by size) and then the whole thing again in reverse after a few days.

4 0r so nights away should to the trick.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2022, 04:18:02 am »
Bees remember where they were. Hence the term bee-line. They need to fly to forget the old and to reorient to the new. If they are confined to the hive by weather, that switch does not happen while they are huddled inside. The goal would be to have a good 3 to 5 actual fly days at the interim location.  Rain days do not count.
Discouraging to hear of the rain and the muck. But wanted to mention that cloud bursts change the timeline. 

For consideration.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2022, 12:15:27 am »
TheHoney Pump

You are right - rainy days don't count.
It took these bees 21/2 days or close to, to stop doing orientation flights. Not enough sun, too cloudy.

We dropped of the last load right next to the road.
All that fun - just waiting for somebody to complain - we get very little traffic here and the bees are off the side of the road.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2022, 01:48:38 pm »
A thought that may help for the few passerbys on the rural road.  You might consider putting out there a placard or laminated paper stuck on one of the hives with a short message saying why the hives are there, or just with your contact information.  Something like;
- these hives are placed here temporary while their new beeyard is being prepared for them. They will be moved as soon as the new grounds are ready. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call me at xxxxxxxx. I would be happy to hear from you. Thank you for your patience and understanding,   Me -
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2022, 07:13:03 pm »
Thanks, HP - I do have a sign up and the road ends 50m from the hives.
Onl;y one neighbour and he is understanding.
We have moved some of the hives and the bulk will go tommorrow - weather permitting.
I'm glad when this episode is behind me.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2022, 08:24:31 pm »
Well, the deed is done!

It took us 3 trips to take the bees home and another 3 trips to take them to the new site.
We are getting rather unusual wetter here - the wet should have past but while we shifted the last load  it was raining very heavy.

As a result we could not get close to the hive stands even with a robust 4 wheel drive.

I suffer from Bursitis in both shoulders ( and I'm on the wrong side of 70) and carrying each hive across very wet ground was not my understanding of fun. Thanks to younger backs for the help.

Anyway, all hives are in the new location and I'm looking forward to some fun beework when the bees have settled in.

We used a very simple hive lifter ( I will try to find a photo and post it) which turned out to be great for our purpose.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2022, 08:26:36 pm »
The bees where surprisingly busy here. I'm told that some gum's are flowering.

Well, the hives have all been shifted to the new location. A heavy job and a wet one!

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2022, 09:56:51 pm »
Great to hear Max!

anything