Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mixed Worker/Drone Frames  (Read 1283 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Mixed Worker/Drone Frames
« on: January 23, 2022, 08:54:23 am »
I have in storage several Worker/Drone Frames. When using these frames for splits, will the bees convert  what might be an excessive amount of drone cells back into worker cells if they feel the need or will they continue to produce drones from these provided frames, even if I were to add 3 of these frames to a 5 frame starter Nuc?  In other words, will they produce that excessive amount of drones in a start up situation if I were to chose to use these frames for producing nucleus colonies? Thanks

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Mixed Worker/Drone Frames
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 11:25:31 am »
This is something you may be interested in. If you keep the population under 4000.... You will get worker comb

http://entomologytoday.org/2014/08/21/honey-bee-hive-population-of-4000-triggers-rearing-of-male-reproductives/

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 12:47:52 pm »
I've never added that many frames with drone comb to a split, but I've added one or two, and usually my bees just fill the drone comb with nectar and build new worker comb. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 03:45:07 pm »
Interesting question. We know that bees convert worker cells to drone cells as they need to but going the other way may be a more difficult task for the bees. What about cutting out the drone comb so that new comb can be built?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 05:44:14 pm »
Interesting question. We know that bees convert worker cells to drone cells as they need to but going the other way may be a more difficult task for the bees. What about cutting out the drone comb so that new comb can be built?

Yes cuttin it out should work fine. I ask the vice-versa question, (drone to worker), hoping to add a little more education to my little beekeeping file book. It seems we might have discussed this at one time or another here but I can't remember for sure...
:grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 04:43:47 pm »
Bees almost never tear down cells with cocoons in them.  It's too much work.  They tend to fill them with honey if they don't need the drones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin