Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Here comes the Maples  (Read 1955 times)

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
Here comes the Maples
« on: January 15, 2022, 10:27:03 am »

Then snow and freezing temps next week

This is Brandon MS

@burleybeeyard

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Here comes the Maples
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 08:21:11 pm »
Our maples should still bee in bloom also. I looked at one this past week that I as already growing seeds. I need to look around and see if there are more in bloom. I?m pretty sure a lot of them have not started. As soon as they stop blooming, will start feeding my bees.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 06:03:35 pm »
Burley our Maples haven't started yet.

We had snow last night.  :happy:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 10:55:46 pm »

Burley our Maples haven't started yet.

We had snow last night.  :happy:

Ben Framed,  From what I understand any snow.. In Mississippi.. Is a blizzard.... LOL   :wink:

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:06:03 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 11:15:33 pm »
Good grief! 20 below here today.  Maples are a long way off, but the bees are doing great waiting patiently. 
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 11:49:26 pm »
Jim 134
Ben Framed,  From what I understand any snow.. In Mississippi.. Is a blizzard.... LOL   :wink:

lol   :cheesy:  Jim...  Your not too far from being wrong! My Uncle lives in Hattiesburg (about 250 miles South of me). It's like a different world there.  We get some snow here almost every year in my area of North Mississippi. Most Years two or three 'good ones' and some scattered light ones also.

beesnweeds
Good grief! 20 below here today.  Maples are a long way off, but the bees are doing great waiting patiently.

:shocked:   Good Grief is right! I feel for you!

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 07:51:23 pm »
Hi everybody, the maples started last week here in Port Orange which is  the earliest I've seen yet. Last year I was lucky enough to pull one gallon of Red Maple honey mid way through February. Talk about a unique flavored honey, it tasted just like bubble gum with a slight bitter ending. Doesn't work very well in coffee or tea but is OK for lemonade.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 08:02:04 pm »
My bees were bringing in some pollen yesterday when it was approaching 50F, which surprised me, as I don't think anything is blooming.  I'm wondering if maybe they found some pollen or pollen substitute that someone else around me is feeding.  Or maybe it's one of those things where they found some sawdust or some livestock feed dust and are carrying that home.  :wink: :grin:   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 10:14:04 pm »
My bees were bringing in some pollen yesterday when it was approaching 50F, which surprised me, as I don't think anything is blooming.  I'm wondering if maybe they found some pollen or pollen substitute that someone else around me is feeding.  Or maybe it's one of those things where they found some sawdust or some livestock feed dust and are carrying that home.  :wink: :grin:   

Which growing zone are you in Reagan?

Phillip

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 10:24:32 pm »
"Here Comes the maples: I wish going to get down 8deg F tonight. Going to be some time before we see the maples up here.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:02:31 pm by Ben Framed »
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 11:02:53 pm »
"Here Comes the maples: I wish going to get down 8deg F tonight. Going to be some time before we see the maples up here.

19 here tonight. Burr  :grin:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 11:14:08 am »

Phillip
I'm in 7a.  Most of the area around me is 6b, but with the elevation changes in the mountains we have different microclimates close together.  We had a day or two of weather around 50F, but highs will be back down in the 40s for the forseeable future, with lows in the 20s and teens.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 12:53:42 am »

Phillip
I'm in 7a.  Most of the area around me is 6b, but with the elevation changes in the mountains we have different microclimates close together.  We had a day or two of weather around 50F, but highs will be back down in the 40s for the forseeable future, with lows in the 20s and teens.

Member I am in zone 7 also. We are expecting 19 tonight. Its 22 now. When the weather breaks I will take a closer look. (I did open feed some pollen just before the weather turned). Did you figure out where the pollen was coming from? Wonder if the freeze will knock the pollen source back? I know it seems I ask question after question, but if I don't how will I learn? lol Thanks for your patience.

Phillip

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 01:01:14 am »
Snowing again tonight. I had a bunch of pollen coming in two weeks ago when I hit them with OA. I haven?t looked for maples, but there are a bunch in the woods out back. I?ll shake the snow off and check them this weekend. Supposed to be below freezing for a day or two though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 11:44:30 am »
Member I am in zone 7 also. We are expecting 19 tonight. Its 22 now. When the weather breaks I will take a closer look. (I did open feed some pollen just before the weather turned). Did you figure out where the pollen was coming from? Wonder if the freeze will knock the pollen source back? I know it seems I ask question after question, but if I don't how will I learn? lol Thanks for your patience.

Phillip
:happy:  You know me, Phillip, I never mind questions.  No, I didn't figure it out, at least yet.  It turned cold again, so the bees aren't flying anymore.  We took the dogs out for a walk yesterday, and I was checking all the trees to see if any had buds, but I didn't notice any.  Like you said, perhaps the cold weather knocked back any few blooms that were there.   

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 04:46:14 pm »
Ours are just starting to bloom.  Pretty late.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything