Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Killing hive beetles  (Read 1209 times)

Offline NCNate

• New Bee
Killing hive beetles
« on: November 13, 2021, 03:24:10 pm »
Realized last weekend that my Dad never removed the last supers off of his hives so I went over and helped him. Pull them today and prepped the hives for winter. He has 2 supers full of capped honey and loaded with beetles.
Will it hurt anything to freeze the supers overnight to kill the beetles before we extract the honey?  Is there a better way?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Killing hive beetles
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 03:27:23 pm »
Realized last weekend that my Dad never removed the last supers off of his hives so I went over and helped him. Pull them today and prepped the hives for winter. He has 2 supers full of capped honey and loaded with beetles.
Will it hurt anything to freeze the supers overnight to kill the beetles before we extract the honey?  Is there a better way?

That is the correct way in my opinion. I will ask. Are the frames of comb still in good shape? Meaning, do they still have that good wax look or might the wax cappings tend to have a slick or glossy look?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline NCNate

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 03:43:09 pm »
Most look good like new, but there is some that looks older, darker, and glossy.
What is the significance of the glossy caps?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 03:58:12 pm »
Most look good like new, but there is some that looks older, darker, and glossy.
What is the significance of the glossy caps?

Older and darker is ok. Hive beetles are notorious for 'slimming' a hive or only frames of honey in a hive if caught early enough. This is something to look out for. I would not want to extract honey from frames which are slimed or in the process of being slimed. (This might not even be of a problem this time of year. I do not know with 'fall temperatures dropping', if this can lead to a problem?). If you are familiar with hive beetle infestation, you most likely know what to look for.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 05:17:06 pm »
Freezing will not hurt the honey in the least.  Overnight is probably okay, but I usually freeze for 24 hours just to be safe.  If the beetles have slimed up the honey, it's not going to be palatable though.  If the capped honey seems wet -- and I mean actually wet and slimy to the touch, not the depressed cappings with no air pocket that people call "wet" in cut comb -- and if the honey is very runny, smells like rotting oranges, or is fermented, then the beetles have ruined it, and it's not good for anything that I'm aware of.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 06:10:11 pm »
If the capped honey seems wet -- and I mean actually wet and slimy to the touch, not the depressed cappings with no air pocket that people call "wet" in cut comb -- and if the honey is very runny, smells like rotting oranges, or is fermented, then the beetles have ruined it, and it's not good for anything that I'm aware of.   

You described and explained it well Member. Thanks

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 01:29:27 pm »
Freeze for at least 24hrs
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great