Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees Waggle Dancing on the Porch  (Read 914 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Bees Waggle Dancing on the Porch
« on: November 20, 2021, 04:48:47 pm »
I was just up in my apiary watching my bees and one of the hives was using the vertical surface of their mouse guard as the waggle dance floor!  I was very surprised, as I figured this was something they would only do inside the hive.  All the usual behaviors were accompanying the dancers.  One bee was doing a short but quite vigorous circle dance, and another bee was doing a figure 8 dance, which the other workers weren't much interested in.  The one doing the circle dance had a crowd of bees all around her, almost like she was a queen, and every couple minutes she'd pause her dance they they'd mob her for a free sample.  Has anyone else ever seen waggle dancing on the outside of a hive like this before? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees Waggle Dancing on the Porch
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 07:21:38 pm »
Member,
I have seen the waggle dance on the outside of swarms and on the front of hives. I see them on the front of the hives when there are a lot of bees one the front and the nurse bees are collecting nectar from the field bees out front, usually during a good flow. The next time you see a swarm look closely and you will see bees dancing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Bees Waggle Dancing on the Porch
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 08:31:37 pm »
Member,
I have seen the waggle dance on the outside of swarms and on the front of hives. I see them on the front of the hives when there are a lot of bees one the front and the nurse bees are collecting nectar from the field bees out front, usually during a good flow. The next time you see a swarm look closely and you will see bees dancing.
Jim Altmiller
I have heard about swarms dancing to find a new nest site, although I have never seen it.  It's funny that you mention seeing dancing on the hive face during a good flow, because my is flow over.  This hive is very full though, so maybe the dancing just spilled out into the street!  :cheesy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.