Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What?s Cookin?  (Read 7132 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: What?s Cookin?
« Reply #160 on: November 23, 2021, 10:43:03 am »
I'm going to get my oatmeal now.

Sal

Sal I like Oat Meal myself! Remember the old advertisement? >There is nothing better for Thee than Me<

As a side;  It?s funny you coincidentally mentioned Oat Meal. Last night I posted a Virtual tour of the titanic. The tour included locations on the ship where many of the first class guest suites were located and who they were. Quaker Oat owners were on the titanic.
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #161 on: November 23, 2021, 02:06:06 pm »
I like the Steel Cut Oat Meal. Judy makes it with raisins, dried cranberries, cinnamon and honey.
Jim Altmiller

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2021, 03:08:41 pm »
I like the Steel Cut Oat Meal. Judy makes it with raisins, dried cranberries, cinnamon and honey.
Jim Altmiller

That sounds good!
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Online The15thMember

• Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2021, 05:15:07 pm »
Can?t say that I recall aver having butternut squash soup.

It's good! 

Roughly:  one medium butternut squash cooked  (you can bake or nuke it). scrape meat into pot  One or two chopped onions.  A couple of good size carrots grated.  One or two diced potatoes.  Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes if you like it spicy, garlic, thyme.  Sometimes I add a bay leaf. 

You can slow cook it or do it on the stove until the potato and onion are done.  If you like it creamy, blend or whip it.  I like my chunky.  If you want, let it cool a bit and add some cream or 1/2 & 1/2.  Makes it richer.

The potatoes thicken it as it sits. You can skip the carrot if you want but it adds a bit of body.

I don't really have measurements because I just do it to taste.  Even better the second day   :grin:

Oops, forgot the chicken broth.  I use one of those boxes of broth unless I have some homemade in the freezer.  Blend it in with the squash and then add all of the above.
That sounds good, Kathy.  I'll pass that onto my mom. 

I'm going to get my oatmeal now.

Sal

Sal I like Oat Meal myself! Remember the old advertisement? >There is nothing better for Thee than Me<

As a side;  It?s funny you coincidentally mentioned Oat Meal. Last night I posted a Virtual tour of the titanic. The tour included locations on the ship where many of the first class guest suites were located and who they were. Quaker Oat owners were on the titanic.
Jim Altmiller

That sounds good!
I have totally gotten into oatmeal recently.  No one else in my household likes it much, and I started experimenting with some that we had lying around, and now that I know how to make it like I like it, I love it.  I usually make mine with a spoonful of honey, a spoonful of brown sugar, a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of pollen, and a handful of sliced almonds, dehydrated apples, and craisins. 

More practice pies.

Went heavier with the apples this time and added 2c of thick syrup made of apple cider and sugar. Much better. About half way through I egg washed the top and sprinkled raw sugar on top.

Pee-can/Pucahn, that is the question.
Whatever it is, it was delightful. My wife said it was the best she has ever had.

I?ve been playing around with crusts recipes, just changing them up a little here and there. This one ain?t bad. It?s 1/2c vodka in place of any liquids.
Those pies look awesome, 30!  I've never had pecan pie, but every fall my mom talks about how she should make pecan squares, which she always liked better than pecan pie. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
My mom made a huge batch of whoopie pies for Thanksgiving.  She did traditional chocolate ones, chocolate with peanut-butter filling, and she also made pumpkin ones, which I didn't include in the picture because something went wrong with them and the cookies kind of melted.  They'll probably still taste good, but they weren't really photogenic!  :wink: :cheesy: 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2021, 09:48:24 pm »
That cookie pie is a soft fluffy cookie or dense like an oatmeal cookie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2021, 09:49:53 pm »
Making pie crusts to rest in the fridge and cranberry sauce.

Online The15thMember

• Super Bee
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2021, 11:18:02 pm »
That cookie pie is a soft fluffy cookie or dense like an oatmeal cookie?

Whoopie pies are soft like cake.  They are absolutely delicious.  I'm pretty sure they are a Pennsylvania Dutch thing, as I've never seen them anywhere else but Lancaster County, where my parents grew up.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2021, 11:20:45 pm »
Then tell mom I?m making a molasses crumb pie.

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
What?s Cookin?
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2021, 12:49:50 am »
The cranberry is ready to cool and thicken in the fridge over nite.

Pecan, apple and molasses crumb pies. I think there might be a pumpkin pie that gets made up tomorrow.

Online The15thMember

• Super Bee
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2021, 05:37:59 pm »
That name isn't ringing a bell with her.  Do you mean shoofly pie?  They all look delicious.     

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2021, 07:04:24 pm »
That name isn't ringing a bell with her.  Do you mean shoofly pie?  They all look delicious.   
Yep. It?s the same thing. My family is mostly from Easton and I grew up on a bunch of Pennsylvania Dutch food.

Online The15thMember

• Super Bee
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2021, 12:03:49 pm »
Here's our Thanksgiving meal all laid out.  From left to right we have filling, turkey (my mom and I always cook and carve up the turkey the previous day, as she finds all that on Thanksgiving day to be too hard to manage), two cranberry sauces (one with whole berries and one without as we have about half people who like berries and half who don't), squash casserole, creamed corn, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potato casserole, whoopie pies, and my sister's fudge and peanut butter pinwheels.  We also had warm turkey gravy on the stove. 

Here's my plate.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!  :happy:

Offline .30WCF

• House Bee
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2021, 12:54:50 pm »
Here's our Thanksgiving meal all laid out.  From left to right we have filling, turkey (my mom and I always cook and carve up the turkey the previous day, as she finds all that on Thanksgiving day to be too hard to manage), two cranberry sauces (one with whole berries and one without as we have about half people who like berries and half who don't), squash casserole, creamed corn, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potato casserole, whoopie pies, and my sister's fudge and peanut butter pinwheels.  We also had warm turkey gravy on the stove. 

Here's my plate.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!  :happy:
Looking good. Ours was low key. Serve out of the pot or pan and eat. I didn?t take any action photos of that, and fell behind on the cooking pics too.