Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Queensland  (Read 144278 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Re: What's flowering: Queensland
« Reply #600 on: September 05, 2021, 06:45:53 am »
I have to check the Hive Lifts section - thanks

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #601 on: September 10, 2021, 04:51:02 am »
10. September 2021 - the Deep Yellow Wood is flowering right next to some of my nuc's and the bees are working them like crazy.
Interesting that the Deep Yellow Wood seems to do better in dry conditions.
The White Clover is also doing very well but that plant could do with a drink.

I mad a quite a few splits this week ( more to go)  and have seen very few SHB.
I spoke to another beekeeper today and he had also noticed.
Nobody is complaining :smile:

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #602 on: September 10, 2021, 11:48:58 pm »
All positive Max.
Went for a drive out West yesterday and the avocado pollination has started. Bumper crops by the looks of things.

I have managed to secure a new site on a certified organic farm, he has 1200 lime trees and various other citrus as well. Its surrounded by avocado farms too, so the honey wont be organic unfortunately.
He said his trees flower all year round so it should be a productive site.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #603 on: September 11, 2021, 04:17:10 am »
Sounds great!
How far from home?

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #604 on: September 11, 2021, 04:45:23 am »
About an hours drive West 80km. A nice drive though.

I have another lime farmer who wants some hives as well
 He is on the Barron River in Mareeba and has 500 trees, so I will get the Eucalyptus along the river as well. He is half way to the new site about 30min away.

The two new sites will be enough for me and both being in the same direction shouldn't be too hard to manage.

I've heard lime honey is high quality. I havnt tried it before.

I expect to have the hives out there before winter which is when the citrus flower best.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #605 on: September 11, 2021, 10:33:08 pm »
I try to keep my yard as close as possible.
All mine are less then 15 km from home.
I tend to forget things and even a 15 min drive and back seems a lot.
Your new location does sounfd like worth the drive.
You say " lime" - is the Lime Fruit or Kaffir Lime ( for the leaves)?
We grow about 80 Kaffir Limes here and they do flower most of the year

I have made 24 splits this week. I could not get queens so they have to make their own. A bit of a risk but queens are not easy to get this year.
I notice the Pecan's are close to budburst and some of my nuc's are across the road from a small orchard.
Lots of plants are flowering but the rain is simply missing us

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #606 on: September 11, 2021, 11:10:31 pm »
Hi Max,

Lime fruit trees.

I actually wanted to find some locations to the West of the range and away from the rainforest. A different environment altogether. Yes, an hour is a bit of a stretch but if I call it half an hour from my second yard it doesn't sound so bad! I can always move them somewhere closer is it doesnt pay off.

Tell me about the rain Max!! That's why I'm going West. No honey, no splits, few drones and just more showers here atm.

I hope your nucs do ok mate.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #607 on: September 12, 2021, 04:29:13 am »
Lime fruit trees.

!!OK - I have been working in my orchard this afternoon and our Kaffir Limes are also flowering and the smell is fantastic. You should do very well with Limes.
Also noticed that the firat PECANS HAVE BUDDED!!
Very early  and it was warm today too.

I actually wanted to find some locations to the West of the range and away from the rainforest. A different environment altogether. Yes, an hour is a bit of a stretch but if I call it half an hour from my second yard it doesn't sound so bad! I can always move them somewhere closer is it doesnt pay off.

!!Yes, 1/2 and hour does sounf better :grin:

Tell me about the rain Max!! That's why I'm going West. No honey, no splits, few drones and just more showers here atm.

!!Send them this way!

I hope your nucs do ok mate.

!!Yes, without queens there is a risk. We shall see.

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #608 on: September 15, 2021, 05:16:30 am »
I heard it mentioned several times that bees foraging on citrus get a bit more testy.
We just have a few citrus trees, so I can?t tell.
Could you let us know how your bees are behaving on all that citrus @BeeNorth?

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #609 on: September 15, 2021, 07:44:43 pm »
Hi Beelab.

Sure...once I get some bees out there.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #610 on: September 20, 2021, 05:22:53 am »
We took more honey off today.

Some hives are pretty full while some are disappointing and I wonder if the swarmed?

It has been very dry and we have a dry and windy day ahead.
The Bottlebrush, the clover, gums...everything is flowering but i wonder if there is much in it?

We need rain.
It has been a long time since we had winter rain which brings the Clover along and then Spring rain which keeps the Clover going and producing.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #611 on: September 21, 2021, 06:42:08 am »
Hmm...interesting Max.
We have had sunshine since I last posted and the rainforest is coming alive finally.
I took a bit of honey off last week, not a lot but its starting to happen.
I fly out tomorrow for a month. I'm not sure what's going to happen when I'm away.
I'm hoping I dont lose to many swarms while I'm gone, I just didnt have the bees or the drones to make nucs this Month. The girls are only coming strong now.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #612 on: September 24, 2021, 07:43:48 am »
24. 09. 2021  - the Silky Oak is out.
It generally offers some nectar.

We have some very large trees near the house and there are a good number along the Mary

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #613 on: September 27, 2021, 01:55:57 pm »
We had another beeworkshop here last Saturday.
As always I open a few hives for the participants.
The interesting point this time was that I could not find a SHB!
Not complaining at all.

We had some rain here yesterday - just 1/2 inch but it may bring the SHB back - it has been very dry.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #614 on: October 07, 2021, 05:22:58 pm »
I went to see my mate at Galsshouse.
He had a great harvest off Macadamia. No such luck here.

The Jacaranda and Silky Oaks are flowering profusely

m

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
What's flowering: Queensland
« Reply #615 on: October 08, 2021, 06:16:14 pm »
Why is this thread 620ish long?  Are all varied discussions jammed under this one thread?
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #616 on: October 08, 2021, 08:18:49 pm »
Why is this thread 620ish long?  Are all varied discussions jammed under this one thread?

I can not speak for our good friends from the Land Down Under but I suspect that it is an Aussie thing that they themselves understand. I mean this in a respectful and good way. These folks have a certain unwritten way of doing things that sets them apart from the rest of the English speaking world. Let them at it, as we enjoy their good company is my motto.

They can very well speak for themselves and I might have missed it by a mile!!? lol All with good intentions Mr HoneyPump. No disrespect meant for you or them. As our friends from 'there' might say? Good Day Mate...!!! 
:grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #617 on: October 10, 2021, 04:25:07 am »
Why is the thread so long?

It was always meant to never end.
I note what is flowering in my neck of the woods and it does give me a record when various plants are flowerring. It is very useful.
I give you an example:

Today 10.10. 21 - The pecan's are just starting to flower.
I move my nuc's close to a Pecan Orchard as they seem to do well there this time of the year...they also work the Blue Gum and other plants.

Another:

The Liquid Amber is an indicator plant for me. When they start to flower it says " Spring"  and I start to look out for drones...because i need drones to make queens ...to make nuc's.

I put out an occasional Bee Newsletter out when I have the time. I know that other people keep an eye on the thread to see what is flowering.

In my case I know that if a tree is flowering closer to the coast that it will flower here 10 to 14 days later.

I also have a thread on " Swarming"  - my swarming season starts about 14 days after the coastel event.

Does this make sense?

If the thread takes up too much space, my apology - I can stop writing.

keep well

max

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #618 on: October 10, 2021, 07:54:00 am »
Why is the thread so long?

It was always meant to never end.
I note what is flowering in my neck of the woods and it does give me a record when various plants are flowerring. It is very useful.
I give you an example:

Today 10.10. 21 - The pecan's are just starting to flower.
I move my nuc's close to a Pecan Orchard as they seem to do well there this time of the year...they also work the Blue Gum and other plants.

Another:

The Liquid Amber is an indicator plant for me. When they start to flower it says " Spring"  and I start to look out for drones...because i need drones to make queens ...to make nuc's.

I put out an occasional Bee Newsletter out when I have the time. I know that other people keep an eye on the thread to see what is flowering.

In my case I know that if a tree is flowering closer to the coast that it will flower here 10 to 14 days later.

I also have a thread on " Swarming"  - my swarming season starts about 14 days after the coastel event.

Does this make sense?

If the thread takes up too much space, my apology - I can stop writing.

keep well

max

Max; You have always kept this topic 'centrally located', true to the namesake of its title, "What's flowering Queensland". You have never broken a rule, you have never posted a cuss word, never insulted a fellow member, you have always been polite, kind, respectful, and reasonable, to all members who have posted on this thread, 'your thread that you started'. It is, and has been my pleasure to read your comments. You are welcome and encouraged to post 'whatever you want to post' including bees, flowering plants, or whatever you wish, without question, within the bylaws.

As a member in good standing here Max, I think it is a good time to reiterate not only to you but your fellow countrymen, this is just as much 'your home' as it is any other members. You, along with your fellow countrymen are free, and should always feel free and welcome, to post of your of unique beekeeping experiences without question, comfortably in any way you see fit, as long as it's within the rules. This Max, you have always done. Keep up the good work....   

Adding on a side note: You folks in Australia have an unique country, so many different plants, animals, terrain etc that are not found in other parts of the world which are unique to your own continent. A place where you and your fellow countrymen have adapted and prospered. I for one do not post here often under the heading, "Down Under Beekeeping", yet I enjoy reading post from every thread here. From Melbourne to Perth. Keep up the good work and conversation.....

Phillip   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 09:18:29 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #619 on: October 11, 2021, 12:29:33 am »
Thanks, Philip, for your kind and reassuring words.

I'm retired form ( Mechanical and Civil Engineering Design and running our own business for about 40 years)

I have always been interested in bees. Growing up in Switzerland  beekeeping as a hobby was out of reach for a pretty poor family.

A few years after migrating to Australia I was introduced to bees by a near neighbour. That is 46 years ago.

These days bees take up a big part of my time ( other then family, gardening and cattle - and fishing form time to time.)

I live in a rather ideal area for all year  beekeeping ( Google "Crystal Waters, Conondale") - if the weather is too cool or too wet there is plenty to do in the beehouse.

Keep well

max