Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Recovering old wax foundation - worth it?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Recovering old wax foundation - worth it?
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 05:44:49 am »
Jim 134 as an added note of interest concerning the video and its maker; Tim Rowe is the 'inventor' of "The Rose Hive" and has written beekeeping books. He is quiet the thinker, the doer, and the inventor. Not only in beekeeping but other subjects as well. Kind of reminds me of 'Lesgold' in that sort of way..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2022, 06:22:43 am »
        The USA had a hive similar to this... I believe it was Built-in the 1920.. It was used a lot in the  North and South Dakota.. And it was 7 1/2 inches deep..  What they were looking for is a one Box only hive... This was in direct competition... What's the Illinois  Is super.. Which at the time Dadant was making.. 6 5/8 "
    Dadant  Bet out this hive with this Box .. My 1st mentor told my history I believe it was around it's the round 1960 or so... Every once in a while.. I used to hear them showing up as nucs colonial.. The last one I heard about was about 25 years ago.. And beekeepers complained about the wrong size frames... Of course all commercial beekeepers... In the USA went with deep With 9 frames stretched out into a 10 frame Box boxes... The Rose hive is still sold this day and Great Britain... The last time I checked was probably 3 years ago.. I look it up it's not available anymore from Great Britain.   Who knows they could be using a different supply.. To sell the Rose hive now :sad:

https://www.thorne.co.uk/about-us/download-our-catalogue

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 06:46:15 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2022, 01:15:00 pm »
It was used a lot in the  North and South Dakota.. And it was 7 1/2 inches deep..  What they were looking for is a one Box only hive... This was in direct competition... What's the Illinois  Is super..

I have heard of the Illinois box Jim. I guess it never really caught on cross country or internationally like Mediums and Deeps.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2022, 09:19:55 pm »
It was used a lot in the  North and South Dakota.. And it was 7 1/2 inches deep..  What they were looking for is a one Box only hive... This was in direct competition... What's the Illinois  Is super..

I have heard of the Illinois box Jim. I guess it never really caught on cross country or internationally like Mediums and Deeps.

If you would like to own a 7 5/8" Box with frames... You can still buy them.. in the USA
https://westernbee.com/

The part number for the frames is WW722
 The part number for the boxer is WW719WW719
   One of Western bee's biggest woodware customers is Dadant beesupply..  The last company I knew that made wax foundation for this hive..  Was Walter T Kelley.. Who has gone out of business about 5 years ago..

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2022, 01:27:46 am »
I can see where this type box might have caught on, especially since it was only an inch deeper than a standard medium.
I wonder; if they had used a standard 1x8 if it might have made a difference in popularity since the true measurement of a standard 1" X 8" is actually (3/4 x 7 1/4) inches, only 3/8 difference in the Illinois box. If they had made it from the standard
(1x8) / (3/4 X 71/4), The box builder would not have had to rip the board to the proper width. The board would be standard width from the kiln saving a lot of ripping. (Just food for thought).... 

Jim 134 did your friend use wood for a heat source while using the steam method during his wax melting? I see that Les uses wood as a heat source as well as does Tim Rowe, getting the water/steam plenty hot...

Phillip
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 02:00:34 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 02:59:57 am »
The 7 5/8 box is used in Australia and is called a WSP.
They are a very good size for us mature BK's.
Now i look back and wish i had started with WSP supers and full depth brood box.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2022, 06:31:11 am »

Jim 134 did your friend use wood for a heat source while using the steam method during his wax melting? I see that Les uses wood as a heat source as well as does Tim Rowe, getting the water/steam plenty hot...

Phillip

He used wood as a heat  Source.  He actually had an old oxygen tank..  Did you notice the small hole in the top of the tank along with the wooden  Plug... This actually is the safety blow off valve.. In case the tank runs out of water..

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2022, 08:46:06 am »
He used wood as a heat  Source.  He actually had an old oxygen tank..  Did you notice the small hole in the top of the tank along with the wooden  Plug... This actually is the safety blow off valve.. In case the tank runs out of water..

I did notice that Jim 134. Probably the most important part of the whole operation.... It serves a two part necessity. He used a wood plug in that hole as a relief valve, "blow off valve" in case of great pressure building up to a dangerous level in the tank and box area, reaching a point of 'possible explosion'. "Steam power"
The wood plug serves as a relief valve as well as a refill water hole. I am glad you noticed and mentioned that simple, yet 'very' 'important' feature ..  Thanks!

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2022, 08:51:03 am »
The 7 5/8 box is used in Australia and is called a WSP.
They are a very good size for us mature BK's.
Now i look back and wish i had started with WSP supers and full depth brood box.

Thanks Oldbeavo, I may eventually someday wish the same; 'look back and wish i had started with WSP/Illinois supers and full depth brood box.'
 :smile:

Phillip

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2022, 11:21:59 pm »
        The USA had a hive similar to this... I believe it was Built-in the 1920.. It was used a lot in the  North and South Dakota.. And it was 7 1/2 inches deep..  What they were looking for is a one Box only hive... This was in direct competition... What's the Illinois  Is super.. Which at the time Dadant was making.. 6 5/8 "
    Dadant  Bet out this hive with this Box .. My 1st mentor told my history I believe it was around it's the round 1960 or so... Every once in a while.. I used to hear them showing up as nucs colonial.. The last one I heard about was about 25 years ago.. And beekeepers complained about the wrong size frames... Of course all commercial beekeepers... In the USA went with deep With 9 frames stretched out into a 10 frame Box boxes... The Rose hive is still sold this day and Great Britain... The last time I checked was probably 3 years ago.. I look it up it's not available anymore from Great Britain.   Who knows they could be using a different supply.. To sell the Rose hive now :sad:

https://www.thorne.co.uk/about-us/download-our-catalogue

It looks like I made a mistake... You can find a Rose Hive On pay 13.. On the link I supplied for for their catalog 2021.. :oops:
     The same company that sells. The Rose Hive also sells a book. On the use of a Rose Hive.. You can see it on page 74

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 12:13:15 am by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2022, 12:46:06 am »
Jim, Tim has a YouTube channel that is titled: Way Out West - Workshop Stuff and another one titled: WAY OUT WEST with Sandra and Tim . Both are interesting.

Phillip

PS Tim and Sandra are very nice folks. I have never had a question or comment that they have failed to answer .