Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Staple guns for frames and nail guns for Supers whats the best?  (Read 28518 times)

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Re: Staple guns for frames and nail guns for Supers whats the best?
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 01:08:08 am »
yup, thats how its done.  I think Im going to build a 50 frame jig next. lol Only thing I do different is shove a roofing nail between the depth adjuster and the gun which disables the safety. you can hover the gun and pull trigger and nail down the line as fast as you want to move.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 10:20:35 am »
Bee curious, The shorter jig works well too just doesn't hold the end bars quite as securely. It will handle medium frame too!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 03:19:58 pm »
See what happens when you dig up an old thread, more info and cool videos!  Love the jig scott... gonna have to make one.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:41 pm »
Doug, still staple and glue all my boxes.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tavin979

• Brood
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 06:08:50 am »
there are many out in the market , but it's one that suits to your need and carry the tasks you want from. Bostich electric stapler has many features which would sure may fulfill you needs to do this job !

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 09:28:50 am »
in the real world i work with carpenters a lot so i use paslode impulse guns.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 10:30:46 am »
I  use the 1" and 1 1/2" staples also with glue.  Already had a 1" Dewalt air stapler and got a Hitachi 1 1/2" air stapler.  If you check around some times you can get a pretty good deal on them.  Best to my memory I got the Dewalt for 65 and the Hitachi for 75, anyway good luck to you all.

Joe

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 06:20:29 pm »
Using reconditioned Hitachi N 36804AB3 shooting 5/8", 1" & 1-1/2" 1/4 crown porter cable staples, just finished up 3k foundationaless frames and will begin working on a few medium 8 frame boxes.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »
Scooter, did you get it from CPO.  That is where I got mine, it wasn't reconditioned, it was an opened box.

Joe

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 10:41:09 pm »
i'm a carpenter & already had a framing gun, 2 trim guns, a brad gun, & a staple gun. all are Sencos. my original reason for buying senco was that they have a luggage type latch that opens the nose for clearing jammed nails. most others require disassembly. all guns sooner or later will jam now & again. i find my guns have fewer problems when i buy senco brand nails instead og generic nails. also an oil type compressor will outlive the oil-less types like the porter cable units sold on the big box stores. BUT if all you are using it for is to build hives an oil-less compressor should last a long time. my compressor is used almost daily.

IMHO best quality tool for a brad gun, & a staple gun are Sencos.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2021, 11:55:18 am »
For frames I use a 10 frame jig, staples as well with titebond glue.
I use a generous amount of 2 inch 18 gauge air nails for boxes along with a generous amount of titebond III glue. I also use a coating of titebond over the nail holes entrances and along the outer cut end of the boxes for waterproofing.

All with a cheap Harbor Freight air gun. Can?t seem to wear it out. 😊

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2021, 08:28:28 am »
For frames;
A small pneumatic nail & staple gun with a 125 psi compressor has worked for me over the last 3 years.  I use 1.5 inch staples.

Supers;
Nails, hammer, & wood glue.  Screws are fine but a box joint is already strong.  The nails just keep it in place.
I will ditto this except a crown stapler that shoots a 1.5 long staple is more expensive and more than you need.  1 1/4 is adequate for frames and a 1.5 long staple might be too long for the 45 degree end shot in the top bar.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2021, 05:27:29 pm »
Hi Folks,

These days I use a narrow crown stapler with 22mm staples and apply 8 staples per frame (staples driven into the sides of the end bars) and Titebond 3. I used to use a jig for holding frames but now they are built individually. Glue is applied to 10 end bars at a time with a squeeze bottle and then the frames are assembled individually and stapled on a simple jig that keeps corners square. I find this method to be faster than using a jig and the frames are strong.

Cheers

Les

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2022, 05:07:36 pm »
I use 1" long 1/4" crown staples and glue for frames.  I use glue and 1-1/2" long stainless steel screws for my boxes.  I bought a 50# box of them.  They are the square head.  These strip out the least.  I also bought some Old Milwaukee lifetime guaranteed driver bits.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2022, 07:22:33 pm »
First requirement is Titebond 3, for frames and boxes.
Frames Ryobi compressor driven stapler, 32mm 1 1/4" i think, 1/4" crown staples
Boxes 2" galvanised screws, square drive, 16 per box.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Staple guns for frames and nail guns for Supers whats the best?
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2022, 12:18:53 pm »
The most important of all is a water proof glue.  Urethane base preferred.  I use Elmers ProBond Max or Gorilla Glue or TiteBond3.
Boxes 3 1/2 inch Ardox Spiral nails. Hot wax dipped or Deck paint/stain.
Frames. AcornBee one piece, no assembly reqd
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.