Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fussy where they build.  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Fussy where they build.
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:52:18 am »
When I put the 5 frame NUC's into 8 frame boxes, I checkerboarded them with new frames of wax foundation.
When I check them, there is bees all very it but NOTHNG built.
The ladies are very happy to build out the bottom of the frame feeders beautifully and that is why I saw the marked Queen the other day I was just filling the feeder and looked at one frame and she was there, she had probably just moved over from the bottom of the feeder comb.
Seeing as how they love to build off the flat part of the frame feeder, today when I fill the syrup, I am going to put in one, foundationless frame and see what they do with it

Stay tuned
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Fussy where they build.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 12:32:28 pm »
Capt,
Checkerboarding a nuc into a hive is not a good idea, even in your weather. I would pull the empty frames and put them outside the brood. In a strong hive you can add a frame into the brood to get them to draw it out but the nuc needs time to build.
Be careful how often you are in your hives. If the bees get too frustrated with your inspections, they may kill the queen. If you have SHBs, every time you mess with the hive, they are left alone during repairs and start laying their eggs by the thousands.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Re: Fussy where they build.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 03:34:20 am »
Capt,
Checkerboarding a nuc into a hive is not a good idea, even in your weather. I would pull the empty frames and put them outside the brood. In a strong hive you can add a frame into the brood to get them to draw it out but the nuc needs time to build.
Be careful how often you are in your hives. If the bees get too frustrated with your inspections, they may kill the queen. If you have SHBs, every time you mess with the hive, they are left alone during repairs and start laying their eggs by the thousands.
Jim

Thanks, next time I go in, if they are not doing anything and move them to the outside.
I have Joe May SHB traps in my bottom board and I have never seen a beetle in the hive or in the oil.....YET.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.