Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees building on top of frame  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
Bees building on top of frame
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:09:31 pm »
Sorry, I am a newbie... this is my father in law's boxes. The bees are building comb with honey on the top of the frames every 4 to 5 days . Why are they doing this and how do you fix the problem?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bees building on top of frame
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:15:04 pm »
Too much space between the frames and the lid, or the frames above, as the case may be. The space should not exceed 3/8 inch.

OR

All boxes are packed and they have no other place to put it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 10:21:41 pm »
Thanks for the quick response. I will get him to check the depth but they do have one frame empty, so they still have room. This is a new colony, one box for now, nothing stacked on top.thanks

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 10:37:10 pm »
If only one empty frame left, it is time to add a second box.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:40:06 pm »
If only one empty frame left, it is time to add a second box.
OK thanks I will tell him to add a box with new frames tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 12:19:42 am »
Im a newbee...  no real knowledge, so please correct me if im wrong, im learning too.

I see it it as they dont have enough space.  The bottom box should be brood in a circular shape within the frames then with honey on the sides... you say theres an empty frame...  but you dodnt say where the empty frame is...  depending where its at in the box it may need to be switch with another frame in that box to promote growth.

Then another box on top seems like a good idea pretty soon to encourage growth as the queen like to build brood and lay upwards.  This would encourage building the colony bigger.

After the second box is built up and strong id assume then to add a queen excluder and honey super for excess honey building.

However i have seen people only use one hive body, then ass queen excluders and supers on the top for honey the first year...  however i tend to disagree with that and help the colony grow bigger and strong firat before worryimg about excess honey to harvest...

Just my two cents, but by all means i could be way off..

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 12:35:26 am »
Im a newbee...  no real knowledge, so please correct me if im wrong, im learning too.

I see it it as they dont have enough space.  The bottom box should be brood in a circular shape within the frames then with honey on the sides... you say theres an empty frame...  but you dodnt say where the empty frame is...  depending where its at in the box it may need to be switch with another frame in that box to promote growth.

Then another box on top seems like a good idea pretty soon to encourage growth as the queen like to build brood and lay upwards.  This would encourage building the colony bigger.

After the second box is built up and strong id assume then to add a queen excluder and honey super for excess honey building.

However i have seen people only use one hive body, then ass queen excluders and supers on the top for honey the first year...  however i tend to disagree with that and help the colony grow bigger and strong firat before worryimg about excess honey to harvest...

The bottom box should be brood in a circular shape within the frames then with honey on the sides...

Don't get caught up with the pictures you see..... they will do what they want. May not be any honey on the side or top...

you say theres an empty frame...  but you dodnt say where the empty frame is...  depending where its at in the box it may need to be switch with another frame in that box to promote growth.

Yep if it is on the outside move it next to the outside brood frame

Excluder... What the heck is that  :wink:

Tysbees... are you feeding this colony... if so look like you may have them close to swarm mode. You can overfeed and cause a swarm or cause the hive to be honey bound with no place for the queen to lay.

John 3:16

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 12:40:53 am »

The bottom box should be brood in a circular shape within the frames then with honey on the sides...

Don't get caught up with the pictures you see..... they will do what they want. May not be any honey on the side or top...

you say theres an empty frame...  but you dodnt say where the empty frame is...  depending where its at in the box it may need to be switch with another frame in that box to promote growth.

Yep if it is on the outside move it next to the outside brood frame

Excluder... What the heck is that  :wink:

Tysbees... are you feeding this colony... if so look like you may have them close to swarm mode. You can overfeed and cause a swarm or cause the hive to be honey bound with no place for the queen to lay.
Yes, the frame that is empty is on the outside. And the bees are for my father in law and yes he feeds them, the feeders are always full since it is winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 12:52:37 am »
The first five frames from the left look full. Was this the first five of a nuc. The next three look empty or not as full. Are they, right three frames, full of honey and capped. How much is undrawn foundation are the frames completely drawn. You can feed bees all you want and add room (foundation) but if they have no wax drawing capabilities they can not draw the foundation to store the feed. It all depends on how full those three right side frames are but it looks more like a bee space issue from the picture, if the right frames are empty and drawn out.
John 3:16

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 02:30:44 pm »
I don't deal with it.  I just put the lid back on when I'm done.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 02:45:45 pm »
The first five frames from the left look full. Was this the first five of a nuc. The next three look empty or not as full. Are they, right three frames, full of honey and capped. How much is undrawn foundation are the frames completely drawn. You can feed bees all you want and add room (foundation) but if they have no wax drawing capabilities they can not draw the foundation to store the feed. It all depends on how full those three right side frames are but it looks more like a bee space issue from the picture, if the right frames are empty and drawn out.
Yes, the first five are from a nuc and I haven't looked at them myself to tell you what the others look like. He sent the picture to me. He was having problems joining this forum and I was already signed up so I posted it for him. Thanks for the help. I will look at it with him when all the rain finally stops .

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:59:42 pm »
That nuc looks pretty full with burr comb between some of the wood frames along with the burr comb on top of the two black plastic frames. I would think about adding another super if there are a lot of bees.
  You will always get burr comb when equipment gets mixed up in a hive which is what looks like is happening with that hive. You have black and white plastic  frames along with some wooden ones.
  Find a supplier you like and order what you need from them, don't mix and match it will come back to bite you in the end. Don't get too upset about the burr comb it will happen.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 02:34:07 pm »
I agree with Michael, what's the problem.
We run 40mm, inch and a half space to the lids, no hive mat. When they run out of room the fill the space and this becomes an insurance policy for when things run a bit short between flowerings.
The lid is always empty at the end of winter.

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 10:23:03 pm »
 Yes that was the problem too much space found inner cover upside down giving it to much cleaners
   thanks for all the help guys this is a great site!

anything