Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buying bee-suits  (Read 4271 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Buying bee-suits
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:32:12 am »
Today I ripped my beesuit beyond repair, with it being the sixth beesuit that I've ruined in a period of 2-3 years. I do beekeeping infrequently, it's coming quite costly to constantly be buying these things.

They seem to mostly break via the zippers, which apparently can't be affordably replaced. Other times they simply tear, like today which happened at the crotch (a lot of my pants are tearing there nowadays for some reason).

I've been buying my suits from a variety of vendors off ebay. I've been paying $50-70 AUD for them delivered.

I've read forum posts and what not about which suits to buy, but the information was based on the assumption that one lives in the USA; I live in Australia so freighting and what not changes things.

Should I keep buying cheap beesuits off ebay? What good options would I have available to me when it comes to buying beesuits online?

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
Re: Buying bee-suits
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:03:11 am »
just buy a cheapveil and go to bunnings or a safety shop and buy tyvek suits for a few bucks  bees rarely sting through them
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:07:08 am »
You don't need a suit. As long as you take your time in the hives, and it's not too bad weather you'll be fine.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 12:19:19 pm »
just buy a cheapveil and go to bunnings or a safety shop and buy tyvek suits for a few bucks  bees rarely sting through them

Ditto
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 12:19:55 pm »
You don't need a suit. As long as you take your time in the hives, and it's not too bad weather you'll be fine.

You may not need a suit, but DO get a veil.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 01:27:08 pm »

Psparr that's OK that you don't use a suit. but please for mentor's of beekeepers we needed to error on the side of caution when we suggest not using caution and common sense. You don;t know what bees and his personal health to suggest not using some protection. i have worked bees for years and would never just say to anyone (no you don't need a suit.)I have worked bees that were as docile as new born puppies to all of a sudden to become very protective and aggressive of a hive to cover me head to toe just for opening a supper. Or to be working a hive and accidentally knock over a supper and be attacked. I work my bees with a Nat netting used by fishermen ( covers head to waist with elastic wrist and waist, t-shirt and jeans. ) I also have a brand new
breezy jacket that I plan to try.

I would suggest to get the best that you can afford for the moment and then save for a higher quality one as soon as you can save for it. In the 60's I had to make my on veil,smoker, and hive tools before I was allowed to work bees and had to save to buy better equipment as i got older or make new equipment. ( the same as when I changed from being a traveling satellite Eng for Primestar when the corp sold and decided to do a 180 life change and became a small engine mechanic to stay closer to home. the tools I started with were cheap throw aways till I saved for better ones that the jobs income would cover and not touch my savings.)

please don't take offence Psparr this is just my thoughts.

john

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 09:30:51 pm »
Just get a jacket and wear loose fitting jeans. You could have got an Ultrabreeze jacket for the money you have already spent. The breeze is $169. Plenty other mid-range jackets out there that will last years...
John 3:16

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 10:04:27 pm »
I guess there are two views of things.  I buy expensive oil tanned boots that I wear for 15 years or so before they wear out.  I buy Ultra Breeze jackets and suits that last 15 years or so... you can buy cheaper boots and cheaper bee suits...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 03:05:53 am »
I guess there are two views of things.  I buy expensive oil tanned boots that I wear for 15 years or so before they wear out.  I buy Ultra Breeze jackets and suits that last 15 years or so... you can buy cheaper boots and cheaper bee suits...
Well said!!

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 07:55:29 am »
None taken. It wasn't meant to be a blanket statement, just pointing out that they aren't a requirement. I don't think I'd still be in it if I had to wear a veil or jacket. To me their a real PITA and make it more of a chore than a fun time.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 09:55:00 am »
First, you are saying "suit" and tearing out the crotch.....  Get a size up suit.

BUT  Suits are hot.  Loose fitting jeans are adequate.  I like a jacket and I like UltraBreeze.  Going on 6 years and just wash once a year. 

How much to all these Ebay suits add up to?
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:48:50 pm »
I only wear a suit when tearing down the hives for a full inspection or getting ready for an extraction. For quick inspections I only wear a veil, bee gloves, Tee shirt and long pants. If you get used to getting a couple stings you can dress a lot cooler. I also have a white dress shirt I picked up for three dollars at the local thrift shop, works great and isn't as hot as a full moon suit.
  If you are ripping your suit out in the crotch go at least two sizes larger, a loose suit is a lot easier to take off when sweaty.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 04:01:53 am »
I'm too much of a scared amateur to not want to go without full protection. Some of my bees are mean!

Is this Ultra Breeze that much more durable? What makes it strong? I just want whatever's most cost effective in the long run.

Interesting you say that about the size, you're probably right... Sure I want a whole two sized up though?

This is the suit that I bought that ripped:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BEEKEEPING-SUIT-BEE-SUIT-HEAVY-DUTY-PROFESSIONAL-QUALITY-SIZES-ADULT-CHILDREN-/131439693515?var=&hash=item1e9a6a8ecb

This is one I bought prior that had a faulty zipper:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BUZZ-Beekeepers-bee-Suit-Gloves-Large-Stainless-Smoker-and-Basic-tools-/311647309961?var=&hash=item488fa09089

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 08:56:52 am »
>Is this Ultra Breeze that much more durable?

Yes.

> What makes it strong?

Good design, good workmanship, good materials, heavy brass zippers.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 03:15:40 pm »
I have been using a higher quality mesh jacket, similar to the Ultra Breeze, for three years. I have crawled under houses in it, and done multiple cutouts. That jacket has taken a lot of abuse, but it is still going strong. And I have never been stung through the netting. Even with meaner bees, you probably would be alright with the jacket and a pair of loose jeans, provided that you seal the jeans around your ankle to prevent climbers.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 04:58:23 pm »
Buy and ultra breeze. I bought one this year and it was great in the heat and shows no sign of wear. It is costly but you pay for what you get. Also no stings through the suit.