Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Miscalculated  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Miscalculated
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:28:05 pm »
I made 20 hives up from ply. being a bit frugal I thought 1/2" for the sides would be sufficient and 3/4 for the ends. Trouble is, with both miscalculation and forgetting the external measurements are now 1/2" narrower I have ended up with boxes slightly narrower internally and a good bit narrower externally. I realize that if I keep them together it won't matter much but when I have no choice and have to mix the old and new I have to be careful and make sure I line up right or there are gaps along the sides.

I'm thinking of running a 1/4" strip down both sides top and bottom to get some width back- does that sound reasonable or should I just pension them off ASAP?
David L

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Re: Miscalculated
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 09:57:33 pm »
If they are glued then you dont have much choice, the extra rail would fix it for now. I doubt they will last long unless you have better weather and bees that dont glue things together too bad.

Wondering how plywood boxes will hold up when you have to jam the hive tool in and pry the boxes apart?  After a year in the weather?    Might be OK if well painted and maintained, but every time you inspect your going to chip the paint off plywood corners again...    Let us know how they do hold up!  Maybe you just created the newest thing for the "frugal" beekeeper   :cool:
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

anything