Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Queensland, Australia :)  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Rhino86

• New Bee
Hello from Queensland, Australia :)
« on: July 18, 2016, 10:07:45 pm »
Hello, I've been a green thumb since a young fella. Over my adult years I've met a few bee keepers and had a few good yarns with them, which has sparked my interest in bees. I dearly enjoy the hum I hear when bees visit my olive, citrus and bottle brush trees. This winter in South East Queensland is different, for the worse I slightly fear. Tomato and chilli are still flowering and fruiting. Flies, midges and mozzies are present when last year slowed down in April and more nights in shorts and shirt. Blue cooch is green. No signs of frost for many a year, Who said climate change isn't real.

Last night I assembled my first super and lid, frames are assembled and yet to be wired, no rush as I have many many skills to learn and practice. I purchased a Beeco smoker after reading the topics and posta on here and have to say it is top notch quality. Paperbark is good for a slower burn and I'm testing gum tree bark for a quick and hot burn, and of course grass for absolute the best smoking plant I've come across.

The plan is to read a few books, gather some ppe and in August or September speak with a local queen nuc supplier to start off as a new bee keeper.

Cheers
Mick

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from Queensland, Australia :)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:44 am »
Welcome, there's a couple good folk on here from down under. Watch the hot burn. You don't want to kill your bees with a hot torch. One way to test it is to blow smoke on your wrist.

One of the best learning tools I ran across was this website. I started on the learning forum and began to read back. I went back about a year. I'd read, save to my favorites, go back at a later time pick up again and repeat the process.

Ask as many questions as you'd like - we all have.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:09:21 am »
Welcome to the forum!   Lots of great people here.   I study these posts every day - like bee school.   So much information.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Rhino86

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 08:29:41 pm »
Indeed there are many lessons, stories, tips, etc from the people on this good forum.
Thank you for the welcome and tips.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:01:10 pm »
Welcome. :happy:

Offline west end apiary

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 09:01:26 am »
welcome Rhino,

AS a fellow SEQer i think it is actually going to be a very good beekeeping season based on about five years experience, it has not been too cold and we have gotten rain throughout the winter and in autumn. I am two to three weeks away from harvesting the first of the new summer honey,

Good Luck, keep an eye on the small hive beetle, they are my biggest risk,

West End

Offline Rhino86

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 09:45:00 pm »
Thanks you West End for raising the small hive beetle risk. 
The amount of ground spider species is quite high around my area, so hopefully they will assist in the war on the SHB. I told my gf not to kill one yesterday evening.. So I showed her the reasons. There are at least three medium - large different ground spider. Woo.
Found two active termite nests, unfortunately I'm using harsh chemicals on these this week. Well before the bees move in, hopefully September or October.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 03:50:06 am »
Hi Rhino and welcome - Queensland is bigger than Texas so what part you from? The best book you can read is "The Bee Book" written by a couple of former Qld DPI Apiarists especially for tropical conditions.

Leave your termites alone they build on lay lines and bees like lay lines - particularly the intersections - gives you strong colonies. Won't be able to take advantage of the positions if you use harsh chemicals.

Haven't heard about spiders and SHB before - how does that work?
David L

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 01:35:28 pm »
Rino,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »
Welcome on board.  We are a diverse group here. Enjoy the the site. We have them all here. Even the occasional jokester. I'm on meds right now and had to take a double check on your post about smoke :wink:.

John

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 07:54:40 am »
Welcome Rhino!! From an SHB perspective any scavenging or carnivorous ground insect will predate on the larvae as they go to the ground to pupate. I have most of my hives on gravel or pavers and I leave the ants alone that live around and under the hives.....if the ants arent bothering the hives I leave them alone.....and so far no SHB probs to speak of here in the Florida Keys.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 01:06:20 pm »
Welcome on board.  We are a diverse group here. Enjoy the the site. We have them all here. Even the occasional jokester. I'm on meds right now and had to take a double check on your post about smoke :wink:.

John

OK John,
What kind of meds are YOU on?   :cheesy:
How is you PT coming along?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 01:57:16 pm »
heavey narcotics. makes me sleepy after taking them. now my ortho doc realesed me to light duty. but have not even said when to start PT. then risk management wants to know why the despencery says no to work.  I said they said because of narcotic. she said will we have people working will on narcotics. I wonder if they know the liability of that ( professional said they may not have a liability for that.)maybe they can have a deputy pick me up and take me home? I cant drive for several hours after I take them. now I'm just waiting to hear from them. I go back to ortho doc 23rd. I'm going to ask them what I can do. My hand wont close and grip. my elbow pops all the time and feals like a but end of letter opener knife between the bones. they just want the shoulder joint to heal first thn they will go down the arm. I can only move the arm out 3-4 inches and forward 3-4 inches. cannot move it backwards but 1- inches.

john
just waiting.